Tarpon 100 or 120?

Hey everyone.

I am looking into getting my first fishing kayak and debating between the Tarpon 100 vs. The 120.
I am 6 feet tall and about 180lbs. I don’t plan on doing any long distance trips with it but I plan on taking it on day trips on smaller lakes/rivers. I understand that longer kayaks track better but I am wondering if the difference between the 100 and 120 is enough to justify the extra money + weight?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I think you’ll appreciate the extra length of the 120. While neither one can be considered “fast”, the 120 is certainly faster. It has more room and storage, which comes in handy on longer day trips, or as you pile on more tackle. It is 8 or 9 pounds heavier, but I think it’s worth it.

@ptickner said:
I think you’ll appreciate the extra length of the 120. While neither one can be considered “fast”, the 120 is certainly faster. It has more room and storage, which comes in handy on longer day trips, or as you pile on more tackle. It is 8 or 9 pounds heavier, but I think it’s worth it.

Thanks for the advice! I think I will go with the 120.

I own a Tarpon 120 and love it.
I’m 6’ tall and about 170lbs.
Very comfortable boat. I can paddle this baby from dawn to dusk and never feel stiff or sore.
I’ve not tried the Tarpon 100, but I don’t think I would like it as much. The shorter hull would not track as well as the 120 and would therefore be slower.

The 10 is a good play boat for a couple hours on a calm lake. But it is slow and you will work for the distance you do.
The extra 2’ of the 12 will increase your speed, be easier to paddle and increase your range and comfort.
Given a choice, a 12’ boat is always a better choice as it adds so much more to the experience.

I rented a 100 for a friend and got to paddle it. I weigh 230. I felt like I was paddling a log. I have owned a 140 and 160. Every increase in length adds speed.
Get the 120.

Well, I might be a little late to the discussion, but for what it’s worth…
I’ve paddled my wife’s 12’ Tarpon on open waters and rivers here in Michigan. It tracks well, even in chop, seems very stable, and has a better seat system. The 12’ is molded to accept the factory rudder system, whereas the 10’ ones are not. Maybe W. S. recently upgraded the 10’ yaks to accept the rudder and also the better seat, not sure, but for your weight and size, I’d go with the 12’.