Looking to upgrade my paddle

Lendal Or Werner.

https://www.the-river-connection.us/collections/paddles

As to model, Gill is in on Grayhawk’s question.

See you on the water,
Marshall
The River Connection, Inc.
9 W. Market St.
Hyde Park, NY
845-229-0595 main
845-242-4731 mobile
Main: www.the-river-connection.com
Store: www.the-river-connection.us
Facebook: fb.me/theriverconnection

I currently have a Tsunami 140, and mainly paddle on Lake Erie. How’s the Werner Ikelos? Pricey, but sounds like it’d be close to what I’m looking for.

Ikelos = large surface area creates a lot of leverage for you which is a pro/con. Great if you want a lot of leverage to horse the kayak around for maneuvering (Tsunami being a more straight tracking kayak) or if you have the muscle power to endure the additional resistance for the miles on long hauls.

YMMV

See you on the water,
Marshall
The River Connection, Inc.
9 W. Market St.
Hyde Park, NY
845-229-0595 main
845-242-4731 mobile
Main: www.the-river-connection.com
Store: www.the-river-connection.us
Facebook: fb.me/theriverconnection

Larger paddle face is more stress on your upper body. If you’re a smaller person, or female without major upper body muscles, a smaller paddle will allow a longer trip with less strain. So it depends on your body. If you’re planning to spend $400+ for a paddle, it makes sense to try it out first, if you are near a paddlesports shop.

Or, you can purchase used and then flip it if you decide it’s not right for you.

To add to what Marshall says, the Ikelos is considered a “high angle” paddle and if you are a big guy, it’s a great choice. I’m 6’ and 205lbs and prefer the slightly smaller bent shaft Cyprus but I’m also in my late 60’s. I wouldn’t recommend the Ikelos if you’re much smaller than I am as you could end up with shoulder and arm strains - bigger isn’t always better! Is there a dedicated paddle shop close by where you could try them both?

All the Werner paddles are beautifully made with a great ferrule design. You’ll see and feel the difference from your Aqua-Bound immediately. Not that I’m knocking Aqua-Bound as I still use my old carbon Sting Ray as a backup.

Lendal and Carlisle also make great paddles.

I’m a low angle paddler, paddle a NDK Greenlander Pro and Valley Nordkapp, and am very happy with my two piece Werner Kalliste.
With a mid-sized blade and weighing just 22.5 ounces, I don’t feel worn out at the end of a paddle. Not cheap, but a high quality paddle I feel is well worth the price.
http://wernerpaddles.com/paddles/touring/low-angle/kalliste

I’ve been using my Werner Camano for many years on my NC Expedition and wouldn’t trade it for anything. I think the fiberglass paddle is light enough and the price difference from carbon is substantial.

If you’re looking for a bargain in a glass paddle, I still think the Carlisle Expedition is hard to beat and apparently hard to find. Amazon does show that they have one left in stock, but it is a 240 ($99). They also show a 220, but it is the Angler Expedition ($109.99) It also says they are available in a 230. Free shipping. These are pure fiberglass paddles and you just aren’t going find a better paddle at that price.

Also consider paddle length. My Aqua-Bound Stingray is 230cm, which for low angle paddling is fine for me. But when I moved over to a higher angle style it’s a little long. In my 24" beam kayak, and after a discussion with a Werner factory rep at a trade show, a 210cm Cyprus suits me very well at 6’ 0" tall.

@kfbrady said:
To add to what Marshall says, the Ikelos is considered a “high angle” paddle and if you are a big guy, it’s a great choice. I’m 6’ and 205lbs and prefer the slightly smaller bent shaft Cyprus but I’m also in my late 60’s. I wouldn’t recommend the Ikelos if you’re much smaller than I am as you could end up with shoulder and arm strains - bigger isn’t always better! Is there a dedicated paddle shop close by where you could try them both?

All the Werner paddles are beautifully made with a great ferrule design. You’ll see and feel the difference from your Aqua-Bound immediately. Not that I’m knocking Aqua-Bound as I still use my old carbon Sting Ray as a backup.

Lendal and Carlisle also make great paddles.

I am about 6’, but only 155 lbs. I think my Manta Ray hybrid only has lightly less paddle are than the Ikelos, so hopefully there’s not too much difference in force required. I tend to paddle high angle.

The Manta Ray is considered a high angle blade. Other people here have been suggesting blade shape changes and such, but you didn’t mention looking to do that, so I am going to do a straight changeover to the closest Werner product to what you currently use.

Both the Werner “premium” and “ultimate” category paddles would be improvements in weight over the Manta Ray. The premium ones will be 100-200 grams lighter. The ultimate paddles will be 200-300 grams lighter.

Based on blade size, the Ikelos looks to be closest to what you are currently using. Only available in ultimate level, as far as I can tell (someone correct me if I am wrong). The Shuna would be a premium level option with slightly smaller blade (still considered high angle), and Corrvreken with slightly larger blade.

Shuna 615 sq cm blade
Manta Ray 677 sq cm blade
Ikelos 691 sq cm blade
Corryvrecken 721 sq cm blade

I have tried a variety of paddles over the years, but have settled on Werner as the ones I buy and use. I have both Shuna and Corryvrecken, but mostly use the Shuna.

@Peter-CA said:
The Manta Ray is considered a high angle blade. Other people here have been suggesting blade shape changes and such, but you didn’t mention looking to do that, so I am going to do a straight changeover to the closest Werner product to what you currently use.

Both the Werner “premium” and “ultimate” category paddles would be improvements in weight over the Manta Ray. The premium ones will be 100-200 grams lighter. The ultimate paddles will be 200-300 grams lighter.

Based on blade size, the Ikelos looks to be closest to what you are currently using. Only available in ultimate level, as far as I can tell (someone correct me if I am wrong). The Shuna would be a premium level option with slightly smaller blade (still considered high angle), and Corrvreken with slightly larger blade.

Shuna 615 sq cm blade
Manta Ray 677 sq cm blade
Ikelos 691 sq cm blade
Corryvrecken 721 sq cm blade

I have tried a variety of paddles over the years, but have settled on Werner as the ones I buy and use. I have both Shuna and Corryvrecken, but mostly use the Shuna.

Nice. Thanks for this info. Yeah, I am used to high angle, so figure I might as well stay with that. There are 4 or 5 of us who paddle together casually, and I think most everyone else is using a Werner. I see them at the rental place, too, so figured it’s a solid brand.

Nice. Thanks for this info. Yeah, I am used to high angle, so figure I might as well stay with that. There are 4 or 5 of us who paddle together casually, and I think most everyone else is using a Werner. I see them at the rental place, too, so figured it’s a solid brand.

If you see them at the rental place perhaps you can rent a few different blades.
I would rent a few paddles for the weekend when I was looking for a new paddle. The shop would credit my rental fees toward the purchase price of the paddle I decided on. I have had the Camano and the Kalliste. I use the Kalliste but it is foam core and I feel the Camano is more rugged.
Whatever you choose Werner has great service.

My suggestion is to not get hung up on high angle paddling. I’ve tried it all over the years and finally I decided I would find what works best for me. It turns out that low angle is what I settled on and there are definite benefits. I believe it is much less tiring and less strain on your arms and shoulders. It also allows you to slightly extend your stroke if you like–without lifting water. I concentrate on pushing the blade that is out of the water and the low angle puts your arm and shoulder at much better position to reduced strain. I also think that the lower angle takes better advantage of torso rotation and you are less likely to bend your elbows as much. Don’t let paddling correctness keep you from experimenting.

Thanks for the help, everyone! I ended up getting the Ikelos. Got to try it out today, and wow, what a difference compared to my AquaBound! It’s very light and really gets the boat moving. Only thing I noticed is it felt like the blade was shaking/fluttering a bit as I pulled it through the water. It’s the same length as my old paddle, and I’m still using a 30 deg feather, so I’m assuming I just need to adjust to the Werner. The blade is shaped differently than my old paddle, so I bet I just need to spend more time with it. Anyway, it was $$$, but I’d say it’s well worth it =)

One other thing: is it a bad idea to store my paddle like this (see photo below)? I’m thinking I should probably lay it flat on the floor somewhere, although I kept my AquaBound paddle like this (at least during paddling season), and haven’t noticed any problems. I’m just a bit paranoid since this one was a lot more expensive.

Per Nigel Foster’s The Art of Kayaking, flutter is caused by overpowering the blade. I did that today with my Cyprus while dealing with gusty headwinds. All gone as soon as I lightened up the next stroke.

Per Werner’s FAQ:

1. After every use take your paddle apart and rinse both sides inside and out with fresh water.
2. Store your paddle hanging apart with blades up.
3. NEVER use a lubricant on your ferrule! Our ferrules don’t like lubricants but they love lots of water!

The rinsing after each use is important. While using a gentle stream of water, push the ferrule button in and out a few times. You want to avoid a stuck ferrule.

If the button ever feels like it’s sticking, use warm water mixed with a bit of dish soap and slosh it around a few times, then rinse.

Great investment you made and it will serve you well.

Not to highjack the thread, but do you need to rinse after paddling in fresh water?

@Rookie said:
Per Nigel Foster’s The Art of Kayaking, flutter is caused by overpowering the blade. I did that today with my Cyprus while dealing with gusty headwinds. All gone as soon as I lightened up the next stroke.

Per Werner’s FAQ:

1. After every use take your paddle apart and rinse both sides inside and out with fresh water.
2. Store your paddle hanging apart with blades up.
3. NEVER use a lubricant on your ferrule! Our ferrules don’t like lubricants but they love lots of water!

The rinsing after each use is important. While using a gentle stream of water, push the ferrule button in and out a few times. You want to avoid a stuck ferrule.

If the button ever feels like it’s sticking, use warm water mixed with a bit of dish soap and slosh it around a few times, then rinse.

Great investment you made and it will serve you well.

Thanks! I did notice the flutter seemed to happen when I was paddling harder. Lake Erie had some decent size waves going today. Not too windy, probably like 3-5 feet, but not breaking, so it was pretty fun bobbing up an down.

I guess I might need a special paddle mount or something? Not sure how I would store it hanging?

@Doggy Paddler said:
Not to highjack the thread, but do you need to rinse after paddling in fresh water?

I’ve always just sprayed mine off with the hose when I got home, but never sprayed any on the inside. I’m thinking it’d be more important with saltwater.

Yes, you should rinse even if paddling in fresh water. Sand and other small particles can get into the ferrule. Werner doesn’t differentiate between salt and fresh when it advises to take the paddle apart and rinse with fresh water after every use.

They’re expensive paddles. For me, it’s worth it to take a couple of minutes to clean out the ferrule on my Cyprus. Cheaper than having to ship the paddle back to Werner for repair, which I had to do once because the spring in the ferrule was defective (they sent me a new paddle).

Pretty sure you could find inexpensive clips that screw into a wall for the paddle.

Thanks.