Looking to upgrade my paddle

Funny, my new GP has a female voice whereas my Werner has a male voice, go figure!

Go to the menu and select the voice you like…

“The Greenland paddles are even more unforgiving towards a wrong paddle stroke. But they also give more usable feedback. So when the Ikelos was just yelling to me “You are not treating me right!”, the Greenland paddle told me “I want to be treated this way instead of what you are doing now.””

When I borrowed my Daughter’s Onno mid-tour for the 2nd half of a 50 miler it was more like being rapped on the knuckles by a tough teacher. “You will place me into the water this way only. You will stroke this way only. You will remove me from the water this way only” When you disobey you will be punished." Once I learned to obey we got along well.

I’m still enjoying the Ikelos, but still getting a bit of wobble/flutter while pulling it back through the water. It could very well be my technique, but my AquaBound did not do this. I know it could take weeks or months to adjust, but then I’m past the return window. I’m wondering if maybe I should exchange this for something else. Any other models or brands that would be less prone to this wobble?

I’m also wondering if the foam fill and the added buoyancy is messing with me? My other paddle didn’t have this.

i think the problem is almost certainly your technique.

Google up some forward paddling videos or better still take a lesson with an instructor.

Also, I’m wondering if the wind has something to do with it? It has been fairly windy these past few paddles. Maybe these big blades are grabbing more wind, and causing some of the flutter.

Flutter happens when the blade is in the water. From Werner’s description of the Ikelos: Full sized blades are and [sic]
ideal fit for larger, well-conditioned paddlers.

Technique and conditioning can always be improved by every paddler.

If I’m remembering correctly, I think I had a bit of flutter with my Aquabound paddle when I first started. However, that has gone away. Today when I was out there, I noticed more fluttering when out on Lake Erie, and not so much on the smooth river. Wind was 10+ mph, and waves choppy at 1-2 ft, I’d guess.

I think I’m going to try the Cyprus to see if the smaller blades are a better fit for me. It sounds like it might be better in theory, but OTOH, I prefer a slow, smooth cadence, so maybe I am better off with the Ikelos.

It took me a year to adjust to the Ikelos. I kept using it because it is a very nice paddle for practising technical skills, like sculling, rudders, sweep strokes, etc.

If you are not much into that, but just want a good forward paddling paddle, you should try one of the medium blade Werners. The Ikelos has a huge blade, which is not the best option for most of us - it is more difficult to get a good bite in the water with a large blade.

I have paddled with the Werner Shuna a lot, and it was much more forgiving than the Ikelos.

The Werner Cyprus is between the two: Same blade size as Shuna, same blade shape as Ikelos. I have only paddled once with that and haven’t formed an opinion.

Unless your real name is Clark Kent, I would suggest the Werner Camano is a paddle you might want to try.

Also–try to concentrate on pushing the out of water blade. You shouldn’t have to think about pulling the blade in the water. Be sure that the force for all of this is coming from your torso and not your arms. Yeah, I know I’m repeating myself.

There must be some slight variable in placement of the blade in the water that causes the wobble (flutter), because I had some of that a long time ago, but it went away. It must be something very subtle about how a paddler is managing the paddle and not so much the conditions. I paddle a lot in very rough conditions and no matter which paddle I’m using, there is no flutter.

@greyheron said:
Would something like this work for hanging paddles?

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Blue-Hawk-2-28-in-Gray-Steel-Utility-Hook/50218525

I use this for hanging all of my paddles, except my all carbon-fiber Werner Camano. That one gets special treatment. :slight_smile:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-Heavy-Duty-Flip-Up-Tool-Holder-Hooks-in-Black-01192/202305471?MERCH=REC--SearchPLPHorizontal1_rr--NA--202305471--N

I love my Werner Camano…but with all the talk about the GP experience, I think I want to try one! Can I find a two piece carbon fiber GP? :slight_smile:

@lml999 said:
I love my Werner Camano…but with all the talk about the GP experience, I think I want to try one! Can I find a two piece carbon fiber GP? :slight_smile:

I have a 3 piece carbon GP. I carry it as cabin luggage on flights.

The link is to the Danish manufacturer, but it is sold by a few shops in the US too:
https://gramkajak.com/products/partable-paddles-made-from-wood-og-carbon/gram-9000t-three-part-carbon-paddle/

@lml999 said:

Gearlab makes 2-piece carbon GP paddles.

https://www.gearlabpaddles.com

The smooth feel of Western Red Cedar is something special though but I don’t know of a 2-piece maker.

You can make your own GP. You need a plane, a spoke shave and probably a jigsaw. And some sand paper. My first GP cost me $3 since I had the tools. Making one is really rewarding. Then buy a carbon one. But make your own!

I use cheap straps and tie mine to the roof rack, for short trips we just stick it in the truck between us.

@kfbrady said:

The smooth feel of Western Red Cedar is something special though but I don’t know of a 2-piece maker.

So agree with that. I tried a carbon GP. It felt lifeless compared to my Lumpy. It also was heavier.

@Allan Olesen said:

@lml999 said:

I have a 3 piece carbon GP. I carry it as cabin luggage on flights.

The link is to the Danish manufacturer, but it is sold by a few shops in the US too:
https://gramkajak.com/products/partable-paddles-made-from-wood-og-carbon/gram-9000t-three-part-carbon-paddle/

Oh my, those are very nice. I think if I went with a GP, I’d actually go with a traditional wooden one. They’re just so beautiful. And then of course, I’d be tempted to make my own…maybe for my second…

I make my own Greenland Paddles… it’s an enjoyable past time

Having just begun to use a GP myself I highly recommend giving it a try! The GP just feels really great to me, so smooth and intuitive. I really like it.

I am so up for making my own GP! I am a part time wood worker. I also bought a used wood lathe (nothing to do with paddles) this summer and have not used it yet. But I will be spending lots of time with this lathe up here on Orcas Island during the “dark months”…