How to get back into my kayak in deep water.

I paddle a SOT and getting back in is not easy for me either. I’ve only had to do it once . A paddler held the off side down while I reached across and crawled in.

On a different note: I would change your username for this forum. Not sure if that is a real working email address but you are inviting spam, etc, by using it like this…

Do you have a paddle float?

Just be sure you have a very good pfd and wear it. Stay pretty close to shore and/or paddle with competent paddlers. It’s very possible that you will never need to re-enter your kayak, but learn it if you can.

You might want to try what a friend of mine does.
He has a rope tied in a loop. The loop is long enough to completely circle his coaming and then enough to go down into the water enough for him to use as a foot hold. He uses that in combination with his paddle float on the same side.

Since you have a sit-on-top, you might try this: put your back against the middle of the kayak and reach behind you. Put your hands on the edge of the boat. Then lean back while shoving the boat under you. Leg-kicks may help if done right.

Here are some general suggestions for people who have low upper body strength. This is going to focus on equipment, rather than technique.

They are not of much use with practice.

I would recommend just practicing and not paddling until you get at least one method down.

Try a stirrup. One that is ready to go is better than tying flat webbing while you are in the water. Make sure it floats in case you let go of it. Webbing is cheap so its easy to keep a second one around. ]

Most people have disdain for the stirrup method due to rough water. So use your judgement before heading out in rough water. Its also useful if your muscles are exhausted, cramped, or you have an injury.

For a sea kayak (not sure about an SOT), it is essential to get your weight up on the deck before using the paddle float. That being said, getting an XL paddle float–I think seattle sports makes one–will give you some extra margin…

Get a PFD that is absolutely smooth in front and don’t fill the pockets-- it can get caught or be a bump that you have to fight.

Get a PDF that gives you maximum flotation…it may be easier to climb in if you start up higher…make sure it is not riding up on you when you start the reentry–pull it down and re-tighten the lower straps.

After a stirrup learn re-enter and roll–personally I keep noseclips attached to my PFD ,

Some advice on getting up on the back deck of your kayak;
rather than hanging vertically and trying to muscle up like doing a pull-up, kick your legs until you are horizontal, and then “swim” up on the kayak, while pushing down on the kayak with your arms. Much less muscle required. Your PFD can either help or hinder, as does anything that can snag your PFD and clothing on deck.

@JackL said:
You might want to try what a friend of mine does.
He has a rope tied in a loop. The loop is long enough to completely circle his coaming and then enough to go down into the water enough for him to use as a foot hold. He uses that in combination with his paddle float on the same side.

Oops, I didn’t realize you had a SOT. -No coaming there

Sorry, l just reread. Had missed that you have a SOT. Deleted my first comment.

FYI you are not the only person who has had trouble getting into a SOT from the water. I know of at least one 30 year old hale and hearty young man who had to be towed back because he couldn’t do it.

If your sot has some rigging on the deck you might be able get an assist via paddle float, tho best to ask other fishermen who are more familiar with techniques for a SOT. I paddle sit inside sea kayaks and have some options which may not translate for a SOT.

In the meantime stay within swimming distance of shore,

Kudos to you for not giving up! You always wear your life jacket, correct? Does it have pockets stuffed with things on the front? Just wondering as those can add to the challenge of getting back on.

You mentioned your daughter has a paddle board. The next time you paddle with her, borrow her board and try to get on it in neck-deep water, following the advice of Greg (gstamer) noted above. I think you’ll succeed with the mechanics of kicking your legs, which is the same technique you need for your SOT. If you don’t succeed at first, keep on trying with the paddle board. Once you get on a few times, I think you’ll find it a great confidence builder.

There is one other technique which involves a paddle float and stirrup, described here: http://www.topkayaker.net/Articles/Instruction/PaddleFloat.htm

Kudos, too, for working on your upper body strength. Working with hand weights at least three times a week, doing three sets of 10-12 reps, will make a difference much sooner than you think. Especially if you increase the weight (or the reps) as it becomes easier. In addition to dealing with your kayak, that extra strength is handy in our every day living.

One exercise that was of considerable help to me is a dumbbell floor chest press. I like the floor position because it protects my shoulders and back. If you’re not already doing it, maybe give it a try. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysFPo-gK5zA

Happy paddling and remember: You can do it!

The suggestion to get horizontal and kick to “swim” up onto your kayak is the correct re-entry procedure…you don’t “pull” yourself up…this is often what people who practice in pools do when they can stand on the bottom. Also, it’s important to have unobstructed gunwales without a lot of accessories and other protrusions that can restrict re-entry - and it’s also good advice to not clutter the front of your life jacket with things that can snag or otherwise restrict you sliding up onto the deck (like the no-no of attaching a whistle directly to your zipper pull - BAD IDEA!). . You really need to practice the swim onto approach and then use the stirrup or paddle float as an assist if you fail or get tired. Be safe; Have fun!

Might I also suggest you check out the Safety Tips section here, particularly the tips about paddle floats, stirrup and swim-on re-entry. These were written to give you specific pointers on how to re-enter a kayak…

Probably the most single useful thing you can do in terms of technique is as above, try to swim onto the SOT from already being horizontal. Though I admit that when things like perimeter rigging are not present this is a lot harder. I am not a big person but can usually manage that last “Umph” by grabbing the opposite perimeter line and pulling the boat under me as I get over the deck. It makes a diff in the wrong direction when you lack perimeter line and are dealing with a higher volume deck than my lower, smaller volume sea kayaks.

The exercise that Rookie shows above is the safest way to get to that muscle group. One comment for those over 60… I have done machine and free weights off and on since I was in my late 20’s. I get fit the same way some people handle serial monogamy. I am fairly religious about some form of working out, fall out of it for a while, then get back on the horse.

So for someone over 60, the safest means of increasing strength is to keep the weights moderate or even low and add reps. And you can get a surprising amount of benefit from being very very picky about your form. It will better isolate a particular muscle group. If you want to bring up the weight more at our age, think about joining a gym where you can get access to machines. Machines automatically prevent certain form errors so you can push little higher on the weights w/o risking damage.

And if it’s your phone in that front pocket? The act of hauling yourself out could crack the screen and let water in. If you didn’t have a waterproof phone, well it was dead anyway. If you did? It’s no longer waterproof. NotThePainter did just that to his phone. It’s no longer waterproof.

@ExploreNE said:
Get a PFD that is absolutely smooth in front and don’t fill the pockets-- it can get caught or be a bump that you have to fight.

@Lillyflowers And the decision to carry a phone in your PFD without being in a very protective extra case? I don’t understand that one. Even on flat water.

@Lillyflowers said:
And if it’s your phone in that front pocket? The act of hauling yourself out could crack the screen and let water in. If you didn’t have a waterproof phone, well it was dead anyway. If you did? It’s no longer waterproof. NotThePainter did just that to his phone. It’s no longer waterproof.

Waterproof or not, if you really want to protect your phone carry it in a dry bag made for phones.

@Celia said:
And the decision to carry a phone in your PFD without being in a very protective extra case? I don’t understand that one. Even on flat water.

For the majority of phones you’re probably right. My phone, a Kyocera Brigadier, that I’ve mentioned in quite a few threads here, has lasted over 3 years (maybe even four, I’m not sure) with countless prolonged immersions. I keep it in the mesh pocket of my Kokatat OutFit PFD with no additional protection other than the tether. It’s no IPhone X (or whatever the latest gadget is that I’m missing out on, but like the proverbial Timex it keep on ticking despite the licking.

https://www.lifeproof.com/

Contact a local certified instructor. Pay the money for private lessons. Nearly all the advice here is worthless compared to hands on professional instruction. Remember, this is about saving your life. Kayak re-entry is the most basic of fundamental required skills, and without it kayaking is a fatal accident waiting to happen.

utube has several videos on getting back on a sit on top kayak. search
“getting back on sit on top kayak”