Kayaker/Student designing a paddling mobile app - hoping for your input

Hi there! I am a UX student/Kayaker who has chosen for her last assignment to design a mobile app geared towards kayakers, canoeists, and paddle boarders of all levels of experience. I created a 10 minute survey to try to figure out what information and features should be included. If you have a few minutes free, do you mind taking the survey. Your answers are totally confidential. Many thanks in advance!! Here is the link: https://cindyfarruggia.typeform.com/to/i9js7k

An App? Really? Humans have been paddling kayaks and canoes for approximately 40,000 years - no App required. Most people I know get out on the water to get away from technology. I’d choose a different project.

Nice survey Cindy!

Good luck with your project.

(As a retired software engineer/IT exec and avid kayaker I embrace technology!)

@SeaDart said:
An App? Really? Humans have been paddling kayaks and canoes for approximately 40,000 years - no App required. Most people I know get out on the water to get away from technology. I’d choose a different project.

Amen brother! Or sister, what ever the case may be.

Good survey Cindy, well done!

Gosh, I use technology whenever I paddle, be it weather, wind or map apps. Also always use my Forerunner to track my speed, distance, etc. And my iPhone for photos.

Agree the survey was well presented.

Me too Rookie. I’ve been paddling for over 35 years, way before apps and smartphones even existed, but I really appreciate having them available now. Most used are probably my tide app and my excellent marine chart app ("IsailGPS). “Windy” is handy as well. My Coast Guard app comes along for the ride at no extra cost or weight penalty. My commercial boat traffic app is just plain fun (e.g., for identifying cargo vessels, where they’re going and other related stuff) if you like that sort of thing (which I do).

Yeah, apps are pretty handy when planning trips at sea. Full support.

No I would not because the less I open my waterproof bag the better and I generally know where I am going and measure distances before hand. The less I do that isn’t paddling the happier I am because I am very tall and I always feel tippy. So if I am doing something that isn’t paddling or moving then the boat always feels a bit unsteady and I don’t like that. I don’t like risking flipping the thing and falling in with my waterproof bag open. And in the end the info an app would give would be very limited and isn’t what the compass and my knowledge of the map/topography would reveal ahead of time anyway.

That said nice physique! Is that you in the canoe? Most college students are so obscenely overweight it’s very concerning to think how doomed their health is. When you see a huge number of people in their late teens and early 20’s who are already 50lbs or more overweight and starting to suffer health problems from it at such a young age like cholesterol problems or rising sugars or fatty liver, that’s GAME OVER for them. It gets harder and harder and harder.

Thanks to everyone who made time to take my survey. I really appreciate it!! Also, the comments above, both for and against, are super helpful. I like to hear from both sides of the argument and your reasons why. Shout out to @Monkeyhead, @NotThePainter, @Rookie and @kfbrady for the support and letting know the types of tools you currently use!! I will definitely do some research into them. Thanks again!!