Dagger RPM is scary on flatwater.

Pamlico_14 lives on

– Last Updated: May-15-07 12:24 PM EST –

cool doc is the new troll king!! Seriously, a buddy of mine does 12 mile river runs in a 5'9" Dagger and goes straighter than I do in my 13' Dagger Encore. I think it's just their canoes that veer off course, though my son would disagree, as his Reflection goes like an arrow.

Get A Prijon!

– Last Updated: May-15-07 4:12 PM EST –

A Prijon white water boat will paddle like a sea kayak - straight and fast, hold a week's worth of gear, and still turn on a dime. Prijon ww boats are also known for nearly sculling and rolling themselves and yet stable up to class IV. And, don't forget that Prijon has got the best plastic on the market.

That's what you get when you leave the cult, it's pure disappointment. You of all should understand that. ;)

sing

careful
you’re damaging the sea kayaking industry by buying that plastic tub

Float bags
You need more buoyancy in the front as well if you put float bags in the back. I’ve seen what happens to an RPM with just the float bags in the back and it ended up bow down with the tail in the air before the paddler could get back in.

And I’ve got the Prijon to prove it!!!
Fast, tracks straight, super-stable, doesn’t scratch, doesn’t fade.

Wait till you paddle it with a GP!!!

Dude - - - - - This ain’t right
You realize your paddle may be longer than your boat - - - - -

Hook up with Team Dirt Clod…
http://teamdirtclod.com/forum/

They’ll help you out with equipment/outfitting and some basic instruction and you can practice with them at Dead Carp Drop on the Sangamon over by Springfield.

Just paddle it
an use body English. It will make you a better paddler. Dancers & Crossfires are better for long crossings though

Long Crossings With RPM…
it’s highly suggested by RPM experts that an electric bilge pump is just the thing… :slight_smile: Probably more important than an add-on skeg or rudder.

sing

…agreed, one to be archived!!!

– Last Updated: May-16-07 11:26 AM EST –

YES!!! CD, put a skeg on that bad puppy!!;-) ..and please post a link to it once you get images.
Let your relaxed hips ride with the boat...and keep your weight over the boat....your balance WILL improve.

Can be done

– Last Updated: May-16-07 2:53 PM EST –

I paddle with a kid that has used his in just about every condidtion. white water to flat and in between. the right paddle and butt time makes all the difrence. but to be fare the kid is a natural paddler. who was doing white water at 8 years old.

Actually, I think the problem
is that these boats are supposed to be sold in pairs, and you connect them via a sailing rig and cargo hammock, much like the Hobie Catamarans.

Derrrrrr

don’t forget the drain plug
in the middle at the bottom of the hull like your sea yak!

And make sure you talk to Renata before doing anything.

You are a prince Cooldoctor. we really appreciate you around here.

Paul

Please do not
drill holes in the RPM. It does not need them. It is a great boat to learn to roll as well as being a good river runner and surf boat.

Dude…
…you need help.

THANK YOU! PICTURES.

– Last Updated: May-18-07 5:33 AM EST –

Well, I appreciate the replies. Your thoughts and suggestions have really made an impression on me. I have decided that, maybe indeed it is not the Dagger brand that is so "off", and maybe this pony just takes a little more modification and seat time. For what it is worth, your input has made me (a) cancel my no reserve eBay auction for the Dagger RPM, and (b) delete my 2/10 rating Pnet review of this boat.

One thing to know about me: I am not a quitter. In this spirit, I have made some modifications that will help the Dagger appreciate me, and me appreciate it.

I have deep cut with a razor knife and created a dry hatch to store food and supplies:
http://tinyurl.com/2r4ecy
I tried the front deck, but then realized I need that space, so decided to cut into the rear deck and popped on a wicked dry Valley hatch cover.

I next outfitted the foredeck with crucial rescue and navigational equipment: bilge, etc.
http://tinyurl.com/3ag7l3
Trust me, getting that Ritchie compass secured to the blunt snout on this baby was like training a disobedient seal to balance a beachball on his nose. Can you say 1/8 inch self-tapping drill bit and a wingnut? Don't try that on a live seal, though. (Hardee har har. I kill myself sometimes)

Feeling less buyer's remorse already at this point, the boat was starting to come together nicely and I am readying for a paddle float rescue trial. It is looking, if I do say so myself, very sharp.
http://tinyurl.com/35h3ez

Finally, many of you mentioned the Werner Corryvrecken as too much paddle for this tiny seayak. So, with a little ingenuity and plenty of brain power (I have a headache now, if that tells you anything), I coupled a GP with the RPM for a Q T 3.14159 (that's cutie-pie) combo!
http://tinyurl.com/2u3u2p

I really appreciate your "talking me down". I'll admit it, I was pretty pissed after that inaugural paddle. You all saw my frustration here on this original post, but you should see the elbow indentation in my garage drywall! Your advice is kind, and it means a lot to me. You're all right, and I learned from you.

Bless you and happy paddling--I'm off to the lake to earn some seat time in my new buddy boat.

ADDENDUM! I put a couple of Hershey's and a Pabst Blue Ribbon 24 ouncer in my dry hatch, and I am not 50 feet from shore and the groceries come rolling up to my feet! This damned boat has no dry hatch wall! The hatch hole I cut goes right into an empty cavity behind my seat with nothing to stop everything from coming out in the cockpit. Damned cost-cutting Dagger brand!

You crack me up!
Your’re drinking PBR? No wonder you expect a whitewater boat to have bulkheads.

Not cool, but definitely doctored. NM

Everyone needs to lighten up.

– Last Updated: May-18-07 1:02 AM EST –

Laugh. Cooldoctor certainly is at all of the responses.

I’m trying, but…
I keep eating ice cream.