Suggestions for best "rough water" kayak

Add one
I paddle a pintail in the great lakes, here in Northern MI. Not the fastest boat in the bunch but it’s made for rough seas; maneuverable and also roomy enough for weekend trips (longer if you ack like a backpacker). And in reality, in rough seas it can keep pace with most other boats.

CD Sirocco
My Sirocco is great in the rough stuff.

Guillemot Petrel
Designed for day trips in rough water. Nice video:

http://www.guillemot-kayaks.com/guillemot/playing_with_video

the ones made for rough conditions
Your question is a little like going to a shoe store and asking which ones are best for running and there’s a dozen to chose from. Ok,now what.

Lets look at variables
Lots of good kayaks, some listed above. But many more lesser know boats around the mud ball are also excellent.

I say look to a shorter kayak of 17 or less down to 14. You’ll want a decent amount or rocker, as well as reserve stability which is hugely important in clapotis, rock gardens, surges etc., as it allows you maneuver more effectively against that buoyancy. Balance in wind, a decent amount of volume in the bow, a snug, comfy fit, and a deck that allows for spirited paddling, rolling, bracing etc.

A true rough sea boat will tend to be designed specific to that objective, so you will see common traits of full chines, rocker, decent, but not excessive beam / reserve buoyancy etc. These traits make the above boats and others like them excellent in big water. These traits make these craft less effective for long distance flat water efficiency, but they still do fine at touring speeds.

Other brands to examine: Kajak Sport, Mariner, Pygmy, Impex, Foster’s boats, etc.

Cult mentality can be powerful, especially with the Brit boats, which are good, but I say paddle many in big water…take your time. Buy the one that just does it for you, and believe me one will call out to ya. Buy that boat regardless of the logo on it. Then go beat the hell out of it…OK! Good paddling.

rough water kayaker?
Without your profile, we have no idea your background/experience, but getting a “rough water capable” kayak won’t make you “rough water capable.” Generally, the better boats for such purposes will require more skills to be mastered to get the full potential out of the kayak. The same kayaks with an unskilled paddler can be dangerous.

More of the “more info needed” - what is your skill level? How much time/effort do you want to put into skill-learning? How rough is rough water?

you’re overanalyzing

Eskia on Lake Erie
I paddle a 16 ft. Necky Eskia in rough stuff on Lake Erie. It handles chop and waves very well.

However, it may be too big for some people. Depends on your size. My friend paddles a Necky Chatham 16 right alongside me in the same conditions (she’s smaller) and she handles it all just fine, too.

We purposely bought these boats to use on Lake Erie conditions, which means – it could change from flat water, to 3 ft waves, very quickly.

If you need to ask this question…
I don’t think you are ready for rough water yet

I am not trying to be sarcastic, just telling it like it is.

Rough water kayakers work up to it, and when they are ready for a kayak that will do what they want it to, they know the models to choose from.

Just my take,

cheers,

JackL

My Opinion
Paddling in rougher water is 90% the paddler and maybe 10% the boat. I have paddled more than once in fairly rough conditions offshore when I was at my limit, my boat was far from its limit, and watched better paddlers in lesser boats paddle circles around me.

Happy Paddling,

Mark

How are Manitou & Recluse by Betsie Bay?
As long as this question is being asked I would like to know how the Manitou and Recluse models by Betsie Bay handle the rougher Great Lakes comditions.

In my “horse trading” I ended up with two almost finished composite Betsie Bay kayaks. So of course am wondering if they are worth finishing and the rough waters question is a biggie.

Thanks,

:^)

Mick

And, A Good One At That. :slight_smile:

yup
I don’t often find myself agreeing with Jack, but the safest rough water kayak is the kayak sitting on the beach when it’s too rough to go out.

If/when you do get caught out in rough conditions, it is your skill and experience that will save your ass, and most skilled and experienced boaters do not intentionally go out in rough weather because it’s not really a wise thing to do.

boats to consider:
NDK explorer

Valley Nordkapp

Seda Ikkuma 17

seda swift 17

Prijon kodiak

CD solctice GTS

CD Sirroco

P&H cappella series

Huh
"most skilled and experienced boaters do not intentionally go out in rough weather because it’s not really a wise thing to do."

I think there are a lot of skilled and experienced boaters who would be very quick to disagree.

Also rough weather is a little hard to define as it dependes a lot on the perspective of the observer. Most skilled and experenced boaters know the difference between rough and too rough.

“Only by pushing our limits can we expand our limits.”

“Risk is necessary to growth”

Anonymous

“A ship is safe in harbour but thats not what ships are for” William Shedd

“Danger and delight grow on one stalk.”

“A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner.”

English proverbs

" A man who is not afraid of the sea will soon be drowned, for he will be going out on a day he shouldn’t.

But we do be afraid of the sea, and we only do be drowned now and again."

Anonymous

valkyrie
My BBK valkyrie handles Lake Superior fine. Sometimes it’s a struggle to keep the boat from broaching on steep following waves, but that’s not unusual. I’ve never paddled the larger BBK boats, but my guess is that they’re not that different, assuming your size is within their intended uses.

there is hope !!!
You and your friends will be glad to learn that a portion of our tax dollars go to a federal agency called the Coast Guard.

Their primary mission is to rescue people who get caught up in bad weather.

Sadly, they spend most of their time rescuing people like yourself who find pleasure in taking risks that a wiser person would not endeavor.

“Every man is a fool in some man’s opinion”

“To the wise, life is a problem; to the fool, a solution”

“The best way to convince a fool that he is wrong is to let him have his way”

“However big the fool, there is always a bigger fool to admire him.”

“You can educate a fool, but you cannot make him think”

Spare us
Anyone who takes more risk than I do is an idiot. Anyone who takes less risk than I do is a coward.

“you are
a turkey”

anonymous

oops, no, that was me.

i agree with whomever posted that you come to understand the answer on the boat as your skills and experience increases BUT to espouse YOUR thinking rwven, we’d all be at home in a puff of wind lest we involve the CG and if we don’t stay home then we’re wrong and foolish.

withouth having ever met me, YOU can decide what’s appropriate? you’re one smart fella - most folks wouldn’t presume to do that but you seem to have some insight.

it comes down to ME making a decision based on MY experience, knowledge and skill as to what is too rough for ME to paddle in. while the cg is on the sharp end of the stick and does have the capacity to deem any voyage as “manifestly unsafe” it comes down to ME keeping ME safe, not you or any government agency in this regard.

if i am taking appropriate precautions and weighing conditions and risk against experience and judgement…well, that sounds like the decision making process, doesn’t it?

personal responsibility…one of the things i enjoy about kayaking and being an adult.

what is bad weather?
that could mean a lot of different things to a lot of different people.

Many paddlers on this board thrive when bad weather brings good paddling.