loon 138t for fishing

Hey Rouse
that sounds interesting. WHat brand is it?

LOON 138T
WHEN FISHING FROM A GRUMMAN CANOE I USED A FLOATING FISH BASKET HANGING OVER THE SIDE TO KEEP MY FISH IN AS I CAUGHT THEM.IT KEPT THEM ALIVE AND WELL.CHECK YOUR FISH ONCE IN A WHILE TO MAKE SURE NONE HAVE DIED,I NEVER HAD ONE DIE UNLESS IT HAD BEEN GUT OR GILL HOOKED. IF SO THEN YOU CAN PUT IT IN THE ICE CHEST. YOU CAN BUY ONE AT WALLY MART IN DIFFERENT SIZES OR CHECK OUT BASS PRO.THE LID ON THE TOP IS THE FLOAT WHICH OPENS INWARD SO YOU CAN HOLD YOUR FISH AND PUSH THE FISH IN AND LET GO.JUST KEEP AN EYE ON IT IN BRUSHY AREAS SO IT DOESN’T GET HUNG UP AND MAKE SURE THE FISH IS ALL THE WAY IN BEFORE YOU LET GO,NOT THAT I EVER DID THAT OF COURSE.

well fella’s
Here’s a link to some of the stuff I’ve been building. Take a look…give me some feedback.

Thanks all.

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u23/djohnalyn/Photo_122807_004.jpg

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u23/djohnalyn/Photo_122807_002.jpg

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u23/djohnalyn/Photo_122807_001.jpg

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u23/djohnalyn/Photo_122707_004.jpg

Lookin’ Good!
Your are getting it together very nicely. I like the kayak cart you built!

Soft ice chest
djohn, all it says on the front is High performance. I am not sure if that is the actual brand. It is a tyhermal freezer bag that Sam’s sells for take home frozen foods. I guess it is about 2 ft wide and maybe not quite as tall. I believe it cost about $10. I have not used it yet, but I think it will work out OK. It is made in China, of course, but it look like it will hold up well. There is a website on the back of the tag. www.californiainnovations.com. The ad on the tag says it is leakproof, easy clean, heavy duty base, holds up to 14 gallons in the open position. It has a zippered closure on it. It also says it will hold an 18 inch pizza. It was recommended to me by someone else.

best part is…
…the wheels on that cart are on sale ar harbor freight for $4.99. For a moment I thought about buying several pairs and making carts for others. I used the sch-80 threaded pvc so the entire cart can be taken apart, and, it’s wicked strong! I think my total for all pieces including the nylon strap was s bit less then $40. If I went with the white-weak pvc it would have cost about $10-12 less.

Hey Rouse, if you look at the picture of my milk crate setup, you will see that I have a small ice chest(snack & drink holder) installed. The one I picked to use has a little flip top on it for easy access. Get this, it’s a california- innovations too!

After I dug it out of storage I took it inside to wash it and I noticed that the hard inside plastic liner is removable. Better yet, when I removed it I noticed that it’s by far the thickest and strongest plastic liner that I have seen in an ice chest of this size. All of the others that I’ve come across were flimsy and broke with ease. Therefore, if this is any indication of how california innovations make their stuff, I’m all over it!

Looks good. The one thing you may
want to change is to put the PVC holders on the outside for the crate rather than inside, gives more room inside to carry goodies.

Why didn’t I think of that
Great Idea!! I have two milk crates set up and both have the PVC pipe inside reducing the room I have. Thanks for the suggestion.

hey yak
I thought about that, but then I considered how little room I have in the cockpit of the loon.

My crate is one of the extra long office depot jobs, and with my new seat configuration it fits real nice with the holders on the inside. I used this style crate because I already owned it.

However, when I get to the point when I think I will need more holders, I will likely acquire a smaller, standard size crate and mount holders on all sides of the outside perimeter. This way I will have full use of the interior for storage.

Another question… if you notice I have shock cord connecting my landing net to my rig; is this a good idea?

I just stick my net in one of the PVC
holders. The fewer cords attached to things the better. Of course, my net is a large aluminum one with a short handle, paid about $6 for it, so no great loss if I loose it. Most nets float, the few times I’ve “lost” mine, it was floating in the water. All that said, I hate nets, they have a tendency to tangle in everything. But, love 'em when netting an eight pound fish.

Co

A big fish can break cable ties, so
if you use your rod holders for still fishing, you may want to consider bolt them in if on the outside, not that I’ve done it myself. I use three cable ties on each rod holder. The best way, if you chose to bolt the holders in is to drill a hole large enough on one side of the pipe that you can work a bolt in to the smaller bolt hole that the bolt fits in. Just something I learned from a friend and trying to do it without the larger hole on a shallow crate I use on the bow of my Loon.

again
good idea to drill a large hole to access the nut/bolt. I did bolt in that small piece of PVC that holds my pliers and hook remover, but it was short enough that I could easily get my finger in there to insert the bolt.

Question Now that I have my PVC holders, without destroying them how should I go about cutting out the notches in them for the reel leg?

rigged
I wanted to thank you guys for all the suggestions. I reconfigured my seat, built my crate, PVC rod holders, anchor system, yak dolly, paddle and rod leashes, and a custom clamp with a built in shelf, cup holder, and a Scotty rod holder on top.

Furthermore, and best of all, I took my rig out and caught my first RED!!!

I was close to shore when I hooked him, and he pulled me ashore (short sleigh ride, but fun). I then jumped out of my yak, picked up my red, and held him and my hands up high in the “V-is-for-victory” position for about 30 seconds.

I took him home that night, cleaned him up, cooked him right, and ate like a king.

I’m officially hooked!

late to the party
Sorry for coming in late to the party. You rigged up some nice looking stuff. I’m glad you got it all working together. Have a blast and stay safe!

I paddled a 138T and found it to be too slow to turn for my kind of paddling, but for what you seem to be doing it’s a good platform. You’ve got all the distance you need to turn out in the flats. I think even I could turn a kayak around before getting to Mexico.

• Big D

Good for you. My 138 has lead me
to lots of fish and fun on the water. Planned on fishing this weekend in mine, but too much rain, everything has been blown out. Your story makes me jealous.

Hey YAK
I’m not sure what part of TX you’re in, but since you fish from your yak, (and if you like to travel a bit) you may want to take a look at this:

http://bckfc.org/detail.php?tle=Paddle%20Palooza%20V

http://www.bckfc.org/forum/viewthread.php?tid=959

Picture
djohn, the yak in the 1st of those pics looks like my Ride 135. Even if it isn’t, it must be a Wilderness Systems yak.

You have really done well with your rigging. I have gotten lots of great ideas from this thread.

One thing about your cart, I already had some 10" wheels from Harbour Freight, but I was following a diagram from KFS.com, and they said to use 13" wheels from HF. I went to Kerr lake, here in NC, or on the NC/VA line, and had a little trouble getting around tree roots and up and down the bank, so I bought the 13 " wheels from HF when I saw them on sale for $10 each, or less. They work better than the 10", but notall that much better.

I’ve heard about it.
I don’t fish saltwater…its 80 miles to the nearest decent salt fishing. But, the group sponsoring the event is first class, good bunch of guys.

Pool noodle
yak.canfish, I slipped a piece of pool noolde on the handle of my net. That way, it should float if I drop it.

Red Drum
djohn, Redfish have become my favorite game fish. That is maily what I do. I’ll also catch flounder and specs while I’m fishing for them. I am in eastern NC, about an hour from the coast.