loon 138t for fishing

Looks good. The one thing you may
want to change is to put the PVC holders on the outside for the crate rather than inside, gives more room inside to carry goodies.

Why didn’t I think of that
Great Idea!! I have two milk crates set up and both have the PVC pipe inside reducing the room I have. Thanks for the suggestion.

hey yak
I thought about that, but then I considered how little room I have in the cockpit of the loon.

My crate is one of the extra long office depot jobs, and with my new seat configuration it fits real nice with the holders on the inside. I used this style crate because I already owned it.

However, when I get to the point when I think I will need more holders, I will likely acquire a smaller, standard size crate and mount holders on all sides of the outside perimeter. This way I will have full use of the interior for storage.

Another question… if you notice I have shock cord connecting my landing net to my rig; is this a good idea?

I just stick my net in one of the PVC
holders. The fewer cords attached to things the better. Of course, my net is a large aluminum one with a short handle, paid about $6 for it, so no great loss if I loose it. Most nets float, the few times I’ve “lost” mine, it was floating in the water. All that said, I hate nets, they have a tendency to tangle in everything. But, love 'em when netting an eight pound fish.

Co

A big fish can break cable ties, so
if you use your rod holders for still fishing, you may want to consider bolt them in if on the outside, not that I’ve done it myself. I use three cable ties on each rod holder. The best way, if you chose to bolt the holders in is to drill a hole large enough on one side of the pipe that you can work a bolt in to the smaller bolt hole that the bolt fits in. Just something I learned from a friend and trying to do it without the larger hole on a shallow crate I use on the bow of my Loon.

again
good idea to drill a large hole to access the nut/bolt. I did bolt in that small piece of PVC that holds my pliers and hook remover, but it was short enough that I could easily get my finger in there to insert the bolt.

Question Now that I have my PVC holders, without destroying them how should I go about cutting out the notches in them for the reel leg?

rigged
I wanted to thank you guys for all the suggestions. I reconfigured my seat, built my crate, PVC rod holders, anchor system, yak dolly, paddle and rod leashes, and a custom clamp with a built in shelf, cup holder, and a Scotty rod holder on top.

Furthermore, and best of all, I took my rig out and caught my first RED!!!

I was close to shore when I hooked him, and he pulled me ashore (short sleigh ride, but fun). I then jumped out of my yak, picked up my red, and held him and my hands up high in the “V-is-for-victory” position for about 30 seconds.

I took him home that night, cleaned him up, cooked him right, and ate like a king.

I’m officially hooked!

late to the party
Sorry for coming in late to the party. You rigged up some nice looking stuff. I’m glad you got it all working together. Have a blast and stay safe!

I paddled a 138T and found it to be too slow to turn for my kind of paddling, but for what you seem to be doing it’s a good platform. You’ve got all the distance you need to turn out in the flats. I think even I could turn a kayak around before getting to Mexico.

• Big D

Good for you. My 138 has lead me
to lots of fish and fun on the water. Planned on fishing this weekend in mine, but too much rain, everything has been blown out. Your story makes me jealous.

Hey YAK
I’m not sure what part of TX you’re in, but since you fish from your yak, (and if you like to travel a bit) you may want to take a look at this:

http://bckfc.org/detail.php?tle=Paddle%20Palooza%20V

http://www.bckfc.org/forum/viewthread.php?tid=959

Picture
djohn, the yak in the 1st of those pics looks like my Ride 135. Even if it isn’t, it must be a Wilderness Systems yak.

You have really done well with your rigging. I have gotten lots of great ideas from this thread.

One thing about your cart, I already had some 10" wheels from Harbour Freight, but I was following a diagram from KFS.com, and they said to use 13" wheels from HF. I went to Kerr lake, here in NC, or on the NC/VA line, and had a little trouble getting around tree roots and up and down the bank, so I bought the 13 " wheels from HF when I saw them on sale for $10 each, or less. They work better than the 10", but notall that much better.

I’ve heard about it.
I don’t fish saltwater…its 80 miles to the nearest decent salt fishing. But, the group sponsoring the event is first class, good bunch of guys.

Pool noodle
yak.canfish, I slipped a piece of pool noolde on the handle of my net. That way, it should float if I drop it.

Red Drum
djohn, Redfish have become my favorite game fish. That is maily what I do. I’ll also catch flounder and specs while I’m fishing for them. I am in eastern NC, about an hour from the coast.

That will work
All my rods have rod floats on them except for the ones that have Penn 209’s and a big Shimano reel…takes two rod floats as the reels are heavy. I use pool noodles for all sorts of things. Best invention since duct tape.

check it out
I forgot I had a picture of my catch for your viewing pleasure. Enjoy!

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u23/djohnalyn/redfish2.jpg

Soft ice chest
djohn, I forgot to tell you that that ice chest I mentioned in Sam’s folds, so it will appear smaller in the box that comes from the manufacturer. They look to have a nylon cover. I Mine is red and black, but I think the other colors may be black and blue. They should be close to the frozen food dept. The one you told me about and had the picture of was close to the one mentioned in the store i was in.

White PVC
I used the white PVC for my office crate. I did mount it on the outside. I know the white will eventually break down in the sunlight. Would it be better to use the electrical gray PVC, or would it be better to use the black ABS? I also used a pocket knife to smoothe the edges from my rods. A pocket knife will take more product off faster than sand paper. I can then use sandpaper to smooth it even more if i feel the need.

PVC question again
I was wondering if I were to cut a slot out of a piece of PVC, or ABS, to use in a slant to have a way to have my trolling rods behind me. I am talking about the slot fitting over the office crate. Woud anyone think that would be stronger than just bolting it on the outside? Just loking for thoughts.

dj all who have replied
I’m glad you posted a picture of you and your catch. Nice fish, but i’m glad your kayak is in the picture as well. I will be setting up my loon for fishing this season also. My youngest brother will be buying a kayak made for fishing, but I will be using what I have. I will be using all the great advice that was given on here and might have to ask for more clarity on some things when I start. I never thought of removing the front seat,probably would have just strapped it down and dealt with it. So if anyone has more pictures please post them to help me understand. Thanks