Cook stoves

Snow Peak GS-100A
was my choice because it is small, compact, comes in a plastic case and has a built in ignitor.

It will fit in a shirt pocket.

Sorry I don’t remember the cost.

Paddlin’ on

Richard

An addendum
If you canoe trip in below freezing temps white gas will work better. The canisters freeze up.

I use a Coleman Peak One Exponent white gas stove (of course no longer made aargh) for cold weather. You can clean the tanks and fly with it.

You cannot fly with canisters and they are hard to find if your canoe travels take you to the backcountry.

stove
I have a msr pocket rocket. It was cheap under $50.00. Its super light, comes in its own plastic case, and boils water in a few minutes. I love this stove. I have 2, one for backup since my first one is about 6 years old.

Coleman 442 dualfuel.
But I only use Coleman fuel in it now. Unleaded gasoline was totally unreliable.

I also have a Jetboil and love it. Day trip soup for lunch and morning coffee before getting out of the sleeping bag is where it shines. Nothing like a hot lunch on a cold day, instead of sardines and cheese. The Jetboil is small, efficient and reliable. It’s always in my daypack along with a bag of Ramens and some coffee.

Great discussions; thanks!!
I have borrowed or used many of the stoves listed here and liked them. Some are new to me. I am borrowing one of the pocket rocket stoves for my next trip to see if I like it. I used one for a day but only to boil water.

I also have checked out the pop can stoves, which really interest me because you can make them. Last Spring, I talked about having a ‘pop can stove making’ party but never did it! I should put that on my agenda for Fall.

I also am fascinated by this Jet Boil-first time I have seen it. It claims to heat water faster than my electric one at my desk at work. Does it really boil two cups of water in two minutes? I could definitely see using that a lot. It says it is a fuel miser as well. How many cups per fuel canister? How does wind affect it?

I appreciate all the comments and reviews. I really need to buy a stove & stop being the stove sponge. ; )

Stove

– Last Updated: Jul-09-08 10:03 PM EST –

I use a propane-isobutane Snowpeak Gigapower Micromax. It folds super compact, has only three prongs instead of four (makes the pots more stable), and heats up nicely. Plus, it fits inside any pot (or cup) you use! Since I don't camp in freezing temperatures, I don't have to worry about slow heat from cold fuel.

Edited to add: Cost was only $59.95 regular, but I got it for a bit over $40. It also comes with an ignitor standard.

hi
I got a whisperlite internationale and it is an absolute flaming pile. It’s never worked well since the first lightly used year.

SVEA Trianga + denatures alcohol = $10
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=442721

I have one of the whole set up… Stove, wind deflector, pot & pan, and fuel bottle. Cost me $5 for the whole deal about 8 years ago & it has been excellent with only one function problem- I forgot the rubber seal on the stove rim when I lit it… 15 cents later it has run fine, since.

Paddle easy,

Coffee

SVEA Trianga… more info

On the bottom of the “stove part” it is stamped SVEA. The ones I have run off of denatured alcohol ($1.35 per gallon, and lasts forever). Go back to www.cheaperthandirt.com & look up part # ZRW-170 Military 5 piece cook stove.

Paddle easy,

Coffee

Finally found the link…

– Last Updated: Jul-10-08 1:46 PM EST –

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd/product.asp?sku=ZRW%2D170&thru=fr&mscssid=JFX2U8SM54FT9MRVDAUHBWENTHGJE3F4

Although, when I bought mine it was 3 for $15...

Or:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Swedish-Two-Person-Camp-Backpack-Stove_W0QQitemZ280243103533QQihZ018QQcategoryZ36077QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Or:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Swiss-Military-Camp-Stove-Kit_W0QQitemZ110269180981QQihZ001QQcategoryZ36077QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Paddle easy,

Coffee

Stove
I use a Coleman Apex II as a primary stove because I love the fuel delivery system.

For day paddles I use a pop can alcohol stove exclusively. WARNING . . . making pop can stoves can become addictive!!!

I use an ancient Coleman Peak I
The old Peak I is good enough for me. It really packs a punch at “full throttle” (better not even use the full-pwer setting unless the pot you are using is more than 14 inches in diameter or you’ll get flames all up the sides), but it simmers better than most of the really expensive stoves I see other people using. The only reliablity issue I have had is age-related valve-seal leakage, which so far has been repairable simply by tightening the packings.

In general, I’m a fan of liquid-fuel stoves because you get more heat production, relative to the amount of weight and space of your fuel containers, than with propane or butane. Also, you always know exactly how much fuel you have, and there’s never any need to bring along extra containers carrying questionable quantities of fuel. Just fill the stove’s tank (and maybe a reserve tank) at the beginning of the trip and off you go. Finally, as already pointed out, liquid fuel is reliable in cold temperature, while propane/butane is not.

the annoyance
of having several mostly empty but not quite canisters in your garage…unless you want to take them all for your next week long trip.

Liquid fuel doesnt pose that dilemma.

Plus you can start a good fire with it if you need one for warmth. Carefully. Wont go into the details but when it has been raining for seven weeks straight, kindling needs a boost. (Northen Ontario is awash… thats north of Thunder Bay)

stoves
If you want a light weight, small, relatively inexpensive ($39) cannister stove it is hard to beat the MSR pocket rocket. Weighs 4 ozs and can be stored is a small quart pot. Cannisters are a little problem becasue you always seem to have a half full one but if you punch a hole in them after they are empty they can be recycled.

Jetboil is great stove!
Especially if you’re looking for boiling water. Not as useful for cooking up full meals, although some of their models are more suitable than the basic boiler. About $80.

Solid Fuel:
Esbit…

Liquid fuel:

MSR Pocket Rocket (Snowpeak is good but pricey).

Consider: Pepsi Can Stoves…(Free), uses denatured alcohol as fuel (HEET automotive fuel additive in the YELLOW bottle), or from a Hardware store/Walmart.

Be aware
that the above from Sportsman’s Guide looks like only the stoves and windscreens/pot supports but not the pots themselves. It may be difficult to fine pots that fit inside the supports. The stoves could be used with makeshift pot supports and whatever pots you have.

I like this little jetboil stove. Good
birthday present request. I really liked the pocket rocket stove too. That is what I used & I am definitely buying it. So compact & very stable.

yes I want to make my stove!!
Stove party must be planned.

The cat stove is one of my
favorites…

http://royrobinson.homestead.com/Cat_Stove.html