So you can roll. Now what?

ccprc is a good resource
they are a strictly ACA organization so they use the ACA levels - different from the lowcountry paddlers and BCU. CCPRC isn’t the only game in town for instruction.

There are lots of good resources in charleston for kayak and instruction, check around a bit. It is an awesome place to paddle with lots of good instructors.

brazilbrazil

– Last Updated: Jul-21-08 9:40 AM EST –

I clicked on the link that explains their rating system.

Sorry you couldn't find it. It was right there at the tip of the page.

Several people here suggested that there is no diferance between kayaking on a lake and the coast.

I posted two links that illustrates that there is a rating system for coastal paddling.

I also provided a lot of other information such as building up your skill level.

Putting in at the back of Folly is a gentle area.

I was the only person to suggest building up your skill level and not just thinking the ocean is one big lake.

Two college students drown a few years ago.

I know people who head right out to the deep ocean on their first day without any knowledge of the area or weather patterns.

I don't know anyone's skill level. They may be a complete beginner. I'm only suggesting being prepared to handle those conditions.

Edit: I'm not sure that paddling on the one * is an absolute requirement before the **.

They used to not any kind of rating system, just "beginner", "intermediate" "advanced"

It's pretty laid back. They may have to have some kind of rating for their insurance policy. That's why they state that each individual is responsible for them selves. I also agree with that as well. Otherwise some people will show up without any basic skills, and expect everyone else to compensate for that. Or if they are injured from their own lack of training, they can't sue the paddling club.

That's why I posed both links.

There is no way I can assess anyone's skill level.

You can call them for their rules.

club member
Being able to roll was for me a big confidence booster knowing I am more likely to stay in and with my boat when (not if) I do go over. I like being able to explore the region between upright and upside down and benefit from improved control and stability this skill encourages. Rolling and deep bracing also provide another means to cool off, show off and occasionally lose sunglasses. I do practice rolls in a variety of conditions as they present. Same for self rescues in preparation for failed rolls. And you can roll sans skirt but not pump.

putting in at the back of Folly

– Last Updated: Jul-21-08 10:27 AM EST –

is a gentle area. paddling out to the lighthouse and other areas are not.

I got the three star BCU and joined the ACA specifically because I knew there were trips that would require some sort of proof of competency. Unfortunately, I have paddled with 4 star and "intermediate and advanced" people in mild "conditions=chop and confused washing machine seas, that I was very happy I had my tow rope with and because of that i am very leery of going out into conditions with people unless I have paddled with them before. In a club environment maybe that is not as easy just due to the nature of the beast.
I have no disagreement with you about a slow moving river being different from a small pond being diferent from a large lake being different from coastal waters being different from open seas. the farthest I have been out is 5 miles and I can assure you it is very very different.
And THAT is precisely why I love Kayaking!
(with a capital K)

:)

Paul

3rd link on the drill down
http://www.lowcountrypaddlers.net/Paddling%20Rating%20System%203-08.pdf

second line:

“The skill level of each paddler is self determined”

Its on a third link from the first page BTW. You first have to access the trips and then the ratings explained on a pdf file. However there is mention that they have a new rating system on the first page.

but who’s nitpicking?

paul

worth repeating
the lowcountry paddlers are more of a flatwater club than anything else. Keep that in mind while reading their rating system.

yeah I know paddlemore

– Last Updated: Jul-21-08 5:18 PM EST –

just pokin a bit. all in fun

I kinda like flatwater trips sometimes too. Today did 8 miles using Greyaks woodwing with a top speed for over 1000 yards of 6.5 or so. I forgot to turn the thing off (GPS)when I stopped at an island for a quick swim and a clif bar and headed back.
(sitting on the back part of your pfd with the two side panels on either side of your hips keeps your head above water and you are in a barcolounger!

Paul

Swimming, Crawling, and Rock Climbing
Swimming, crawling on your hands and knees in surf, and rock climbing are good back up skills for anyone who plays in the surf on the west coast.

Come on. I know I am not the only one here that has ever crawled back up onto the beach on his hands and knees…That is why wet suits come with knee pads!

nope barracuda…only you
the rest of us are advanced paddlers and this sort of thing simply doesn’t happen to us.

yeah.

Paul

I am certainly not advanced and it
happened to me more than once. No wetsuit though. Ground up shells are a little uncomfortable.

I usually let the wave drag me
up the beach to shallow water. My helmet fills with sand and acts like an anchor so I don’t get too much momentum going up the beach.

Then I wait for the tide and the pain to subside.

Myrtle Beach

– Last Updated: Jul-21-08 3:41 PM EST –

I remember launching off from a beach near the inlet a couple of weeks ago and getting turned by the wave and ending on my side with my shoulder in the sand and the waves pounding me. Much to the amusement of the families looking on. so no scraped knees, but do shoulders and elbows count with about two teaspoons of crushed shells up the nose?

Oh yeah..nobody I know around so it didn't happen.

Paul

summary
The Low Courtry Paddlers club is for people to network and go paddling together. The last time I talked to them at the East Coast Kayak Festival they didn’t have a rating system. It’s a way for people to meet on a group kayak.

Now that they have a rating system, it’s just to give people some idea of the conditions they can expect to encounter. Don’t expect them to give you a certificate if you complete a two star paddling trip.

By the way, I’m not a member. I was just posting some links for anyone’s benefit.

Sounds Like a Fun Day!
Admit it. You enjoyed it!

yes
I have not read the rest of this thread, but I can say that rolling in surf and other bumpy conditions is just as easy as flatwater. However, as seen in This is the Sea 3, there can be a limit to conditions one can roll in, and that’s where judgment kicks in. The main thing is to keep your head and just do what you know. You might have to hang and let it calm down for a second. In fact, sometimes rolling can be easier if you let the wave action help you.

Now You’re Talking !
Follow that with a cold beer and a Fudrucker’s cheese burger, and call it a great day at the beach!

another good exercise
is to get paddling along full speed on flatwater and put that paddle into a rudder or brace position and dump over. That will begin to give you a feel for dumping in surf.

I think I will become a member.
There is nothing wrong with lazing down a river with a group of friends …actually I think we all should do that more often. Skills and training however laid back or dogmatic are all good and any opportunity should be taken advantage of whether it is on a river or an ocean. We learn by watching others just as much as any other way and group paddles are a great way to improve some skills.

I personally like longer crossings and my speed is usually higher than the normal cruising group speed. I use kayaking to work out and as a blood pressure pill. My wife likes me a lot better after i have soaked my head a few times too.

I am going to try and get to the coast not this weekend but next and get in some swells and waves and textured water. it has been a while. I have that coastal map that String suggested and will look around for someplace to throw a boat in. Might just do an overnighter and camp out after a day of paddling the coast.

Paul

Yes - have to
Gotta keep rolling as conditions increase - ocean, moving water, etc or it isn’t really going to be there.

Or you can skip the habit and lose the roll, but having bothered to get it that seems kind of a waste.

great news!
Paul

I was thinking of joining the club also. I’m kind of fast paddler and cover some distance so I wasn’t sure about how fast some these groups moved. But, it’s only like $45 for a year, most of which just pays for the insurance and other membership. And I also want to meet some new people.

It sounds like you only need to network around with some folks who know the various areas. Can’t hurt. They even have a message board.

Maybe Paddlemore will join the club and we can all schedule some more advanced adventures through the club? We could even schedule a show and go trip in a few weekends?

I’ve been paddling out in the harbor a good bit building up to head out around Morris Island and the Jetties.

Folly Beach out to the Light House is a great trip. I do it all the time. Columbia isn’t that far either for a day trip. Kind of hot to camp at night right now.

If you or Paddlemore what to meet up in a few weekends, drop me a message. Or I’ll also be joining the paddling club and we can schedule a show and go trips through there.

John