Cook stoves

well
Well the two burner coleman stoves are always good and durableā€¦they have been the standard for camping stove for a long time. its big and may not be good for kayaking but for canoingā€¦

small version stove

coleman apexā€”good and lightweight and have a simmer mode which is nice. ive used both above stoves for a long time.

msrā€™s whisperlight is good too.

Thanks for the links

ā€“ Last Updated: Aug-15-08 8:54 PM EST ā€“

I used the Pocket Rocket on my latest trip. One can of fuel lasted the whole trip practically (5.5 days). Gave out the last night. That was 3 people with light cooking, but boiling water every am & most pms. I thought that was pretty good!!

now I just have to find people who will come to a stove making party. Maybe beer will help boost the guest list.

Long Driveā€¦
can we do the party by VTC?

Sure
I will just have to mail everyone their beer in advance. : )

MSR
I use a MSR XKG-EX. Itā€™s loud, doesnā€™t simmer, not the lightest, doesnā€™t pack as well as others, and cost around $130. However, it will burn anything you put in the tank, is the number one proven expedition stove worldwide, super fast boil times, and has never failed me. Itā€™s over kill for most trips but itā€™s cool.Also, Iā€™m not a canister guy, I prefer liquid fuel. I used a Peak 1 prior to this for 10 years.

Jerry

Optimus Hiker
has been my latest stove. I to am moving away from the canister fuels. Lately I have also been taking a Thremette to boil water using sticks and twigs, why burn expensive fuel to boil water? Another just tried option for the water is a Littlebug folding stove. It has the advantage over the Thremette by being easier to transport in the kayak. I use a pot I was already taking but now it has a black coat :slight_smile:

Lightweight Camp Stoves
I have used just about every type of camp stove on the market over the 50+ years I have backpacked, climbed, river run, and XC Skiied. As an Outdoor Living Instructor I purchased many different types of stoves so students would get experience using different models and types of fuels. I have used propane, butane, white gas, alcohol, and regular gas models.

The best stove I have ever used for all around use at sea level to high altitude is the Optimus 8 R white gas stove. It has only one moving part. It is easy to prime and light. It boils a pint of water in under 3 minutes. It sits low in its windscreen and is indistructable. In forty years of using them I have never had a malfunction. Cost is $59.

Linky???
Paddle easy,

Coffee

Where?
Where might one find an 8R for $59? Iā€™ve never been able to find one except on auction, sold as ā€œvintageā€ for ridiculous prices.

BTW, I swear by the Coleman designs. I have a Feather 400 (among others) that works like a charm. Thereā€™s no complicated priming procedure to follow and I get a blue flame in under 30 seconds, max. For those really cold days, a bit of bark set alight under the generator, a blob of fire paste or a squirt of antibacterial hand gel (you should have it with you anyway, itā€™s mostly alcohol) pre-heats it enough to light in the coldest weather. As for the MSR folks who exclaim, ā€œbut you canā€™t field strip itā€, thatā€™s a load of crap. I can disassemble every piece of Coleman equipment I own with the Multi-tool I never leave home without. No tiny parts to lose. Just pack a spare generator and put a few drops of oil in the pump once a year. The real testament is though, that Iā€™ve never had to field strip an ā€œall in oneā€ Coleman stove, so long as it was operated per the directions. Will my Feather 400 pack down to the size of a thimble and burn everything from ether to road tar and in between? No, but for canoe camping, itā€™s not an issue. A few pints of Coleman fuel will last quite a while.

Phreon

Optimus 8 R white gas stove
How funny, Iā€™d like to find one to displayā€¦

There are
Russian copies out there for under $50, hard to tell from the real thing.

Jetboil PCS. All I need
Small , efficient, cooks the type of food I eat and makes great coffee.

ditto Jetboil
Easy on fuel, works fast, stores easy. If boiling water is your means of cooking itā€™s excellent.

jetboil lover
I have had my jetboil for three years now. I donā€™t go anywhere without it (camping/hiking/kayaking). It will boil a liter in minutes. Super efficient equals less fuel. I have the coffee press addition, great. Coffee in minutes. Draw backs are, as repeated, doesnā€™t simmer foods well (too hot). I will try the new jetboil cook pot this week.

Found a vidā€¦
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSIFxpTZ280&feature=related

Paddle easy,

Coffee

Primus Multifuel
I just picked up a used Primus Multifuel (Himalaya) stove. It has a metal pump unlike MSRā€™s, will burn White gas, Coleman fuel, kerosene and butane cannisters. Iā€™ve tried it with the butane and white gas and it works great. Itā€™s a real rocket, but can simmer with a little fiddling on white gas and perfectly with butane.

Sierra Trading Post has these new from time to time for $70 bucks and geartrade.com has 'em ā€œlike newā€ for around $30 now and then.

Phreon

I like my zip ztove
I dont have to worry about packing fuel and it spilling all over my gear. Cleanup may take a little more elbow grease

Jet-Boil fuel use
Mystical asked ā€¦

ā€œI also am fascinated by this Jet Boil-first time I have seen it. It claims to heat water faster than my electric one at my desk at work. Does it really boil two cups of water in two minutes? I could definitely see using that a lot. It says it is a fuel miser as well. How many cups per fuel canister? How does wind affect it?ā€

On solo canoe trips, I have been getting 6 days of use from one 100 gram cannister. That is boiling 3 cups of so of water in the morning, and 4 to 5 cups for dinner.

For two people, I have used the 220 ? gram large size cannister, and get about the same usage, but just a bit less - I donā€™t use the Jet-boil pot with the large cannister, just use a regular one qt pot on top of the por support they sell. Not as efficient as the heat-exchanger cup that comes with the stove, and more wind sensitive, so not as fuel efficient that way.

I actually jsut got back from a hunting trip, packing in to 11,000 feet. Elevation does not seem to affect the performance much, if at all. Camped a few days at 11k, and a few at 8k. For cold weather, its a good idea to keep the canister in your sleeping bag with you, so it starts out warm - I havenā€™t had to do that yet.

I donā€™t let the stove run on idle, rather I shut it off after the water comes to a boil.

So far, it has worked fine at temps about freezing (some frost) - havenā€™t tried it yet in colder weather.

I also have two Peak 1 white gas stoves, and like them as well as hte Jetboil, but they are heavier and bulkier to pack for backpacking.

Kelly Kettle?
Sorry Iā€™m late to the party. I find it curious that no one has mentioned a kelly kettle. Apparently, this European marvel has not made much of an impact in the states. I read about them in an article and think that I need to give one a try. Looks fantastic. No waiting for coffee!!! Any thoughtsā€¦ yes they really do burn real wood

john

Yes, I agree!!
I have been looking into these aswell. You can get a perforated ring for the burner, so that you can cook over it too.

I for one, though, have a SVEA Trianga that works well with fuel, but I can also use wood if I turn the windscreen over. I also have a canteen cup cooker that can be used with twigs & sticks aswell. So both of my cooking elements are ā€œmulti-fuelā€. With what I have, I can cook oatmeal, sausage & brew coffee at he same time with a unit that fits in a 6x8x4 container.

Paddle easy,

Coffee