1-watt LED conversion kit for Maglites?

The 1w or the three LED conversion?

The Fenix AA and AAA lights are great.
Those people are nuts - I try to stay away. I bought a couple of the 1AA 1W Fenix lights a couple years ago from one of the candlepowerforms.com vendors and would like one of the newer, multi-brightness Fenix lights, but I don’t need one, so I just stay away from that den of temptation.

I haven’t tried any of the Arc lights, but they used to be the best before Fenix and other new manufacturers came in to the picture in recent years.

3 NM

I like my River Rock 2AA 3W from Target.
It’s the camo colored one. Brighter than my 2AA Mag LED light and I like the more yellow (warmer) color better than the bluer (colder) light of the Mag.

get
the 3AA led mini mag lite is very impressive and easy on batteries. my only complaint was that the batteries rattled slightly, this was easily fixed by one wrap of tape on each battery.

The River Rock lantern is nice
Got the recommendation for that one right here in Pnet, rushed out to Target, plopped down $20, and got a real decent carcamping lantern.

I don’t know its light output–less than 1 watt, for sure.

Yes, the three LED conversion from
Nite Ize(sp?) is not very bright, but the batteries will last verrrrrrrrrrrrrrry long in the 2AA Mag lite with this kit.

Did a 3watt coversion of a …
4D cell older Mag light. Got the bulb at Lowes in the flashlight section of the tool area. Batteries last longer,but light is not as bright as a filament bulb. When focused to spot the “spot” is more spread out,and a softer light. On wide beam it is a full coverage area,but again softer light. The price I think was around $8-9 for the bulb. The bulb pays for itself in batteries in a year. If the light is dropped there isn’t a filament to break when lit. If your flashlight is in constant hard use it’s the better way to go.IMHO

billinpa

What I Did

– Last Updated: Feb-27-08 5:18 PM EST –

I found one of these at Lowe's and bought it:

http://www.coastportland.com/displayProduct.php?prodid=258&prodnums=¿252¡255¡253¡254¡231¡232¡243¡244¡235¡236¡237¡238¡239¡240¡241¡242¡256¡250¡249¡257¡251¡245¡246¡259¡258¡247¡248¡233¡234¡228¡229¡230¿&mastCat=5

I wrapped a kid's glow-in-the-dark rubber bracelet around it lengthwise. It's a great little light, easy on batteries, and I can find it in the dark.

CR123s
Buy them from Surefire – they’re much cheaper than in most stores.

http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/prrfnbr/685/sesent/00/Box-of-12-SureFire-123A-Lithium-Batteries

Is everybody playing detective?
I noticed a lot of UV options in the new lights. Makes me wonder what people suspect (or are guilty of).

Mine’s Not UV

– Last Updated: Feb-27-08 5:08 PM EST –

It's just red. Night vision I guess.

But that reminds me... I joined a gym over the winter several years back. I wanted to do spin classes to stay in shape for road riding. The room is lit up in blacklight for whatever reason and one time the instructor walks in and his right hand had a bunch of glowy stuff on it. I knew him well enough to make accusations.

Black light for spinning class room
Wonder why they did that? Must’ve been interesting in the days of “free love” and dancing to black light under the influence of who knows what.

I guess that instructor never saw CSI. But how many students knew, hehehehe.

Not great, just OK
I converted one and wasn’t impressed with the beam pattern. It is still in use as a lamp in my camping trailer.

Niteize makes a small cone like for a traffic directing flashlight that fits over the end of a MiniMag. My first thought in the original conversion was to use the 1 watt converted light with the white cone as a stern light for night fishing on Chatfield. It would have worked except I found something better. Now I have the base of the flashlight shoved in an old candle stick, with the cone on the light, and it sits on the counter in the camper. Nice little lamp that saves running down the 12V battery.

I have a Coast with 6 LEDs. I think the
output is .6 watt. Runs on 3 AAA batteries. Seems to be designed for law enforcement. Rugged and feels heavy, although weight is actually 6+ ounces, about the same as my Canon SD 800.

I bought it for an unusual purpose. A park nearby has outstanding trees/forest, equal to the best anywhere around Atlanta. But the park is positively over-run with loose pooches. I find the flashlight slightly more effective than ultrasound in suggesting to a pooch that I do not need to be sniff-frisked for the 10th time today.

Funny, the county absolutely excludes mountain bikes, but has let the park become a dog run where non-dog-owners are seldom seen anymore.