10 characters, Got Guns?

Regarding .22 LR pistols, I added a Taurus TX22 to the mix when they first came out and it’s been an excellent rimfire semi-auto. Taurus has a bad rap from their earlier stuff, but the more recent offerings have been pretty good. For $250 (at the time) the TX has been great.

I agree. And when someone is asking me such things, in my head that means they want more information, so in explaining why they should get a revolver, I sneak in some tactics in my “why they should get a revolver”. Those apply to all guns, but they don’t know that.

I think there’s a niche there, an unmet need, in teaching people about defensive use of a firearm in their home. I went through that with a women once and she was really appreciative of it as she had no idea. Single woman living by herself, someone breaks into her house, she was going to take her pistol and go chase them out. Why? Grab your gun, get behind your bed, point the gun at the door and call 911. You have no reason to leave the room. Just simple stuff like that that they don’t know.

2 Likes

Not true.
Wheel guns can jam as tight as anything else or worse because there isnt a “tap and rack” to practice. Long bullets, bullets that were not crimped enough WILL move fwd enough to shut down a wheel gun. Junk in the pawl that ratchets the cylinder, junk in the mechanism, cylinder stop worn, bad, or out of time. A revolver is more intuitive, but when they do go down, they are down hard.
If you are going to carry it, learn how it works. No different than kayaking. If you are going to take one on the ocean, you better know how to recover. Doesnt matter if the owner at Joes kayak sales told you that the boat he sold you has a reputation for a bomb proof roll. Buying a 5000.00 kevlar boat doesnt mean you can use it well.
Is there more crap that can go wrong in a autoloader? Yep. But the 1911 hasnt served for a century because it is a flawed design.

I pay a lot to be a member of a range that only allows people who compete to shoot there. It is over 2 hours away and worth every penny. The home range has handgun (or plastic barrel bench for rifle sighting) from 0-75yds steel or paper, 125 bench for rifle on paper and 200yd for rifle with steel and paper. To get out to mid range I have to go the the regular range.

Guns and seat belts aren’t analogous.

2 Likes

no
bear
spra

Well the inexperienced are not likely to be shooting reloads and I’ve never heard of factory loads doing that. I had that happen a couple times decades ago when I wasn’t putting much of a crimp on my 44 rounds to save on working the brass. Learned that lesson. Also the other reasons stated are neglect and wear. No mechanical device survives neglect and wear, including the 1911.
On the subject of the 1911, I am a huge fan. I have the 45 and a Sig 1911-22 that is a blast to shoot and I even used it for a couple months in a slow fire 22 weekly shoot until I decided to swap in the appropriate target 22 (ruger MK II semi auto). The 1911 is a very fine gun with low recoil and substantial stopping power. It just isn’t as easy as a revolver for someone that doesn’t shoot.

1 Like

My single shot 20 guage is all I can ever envision for home defense ,or a .22. I have seen the penetration of a 9mm , let alone a .223 or 30 caliber.
I really don’t want to wound my next door neighbor while defending my patch of dirt.

1 Like

Me no never. I have no skill and besides we do about half our canoeing in Canada where forgetting you have a gun can lead you to never ever being allowed in again. Bear spray yes.

1 Like

The inexperienced are likely to toss it in the sock drawer with lint and whatever collecting in it. They are also likely to shoot 38’s through a 357 and not clean the carbon ring from the cylinder increasing pressure. As was stated, folks want to recommend a wheel gun to people who are not going to shoot. I am not saying that is a bad thing, I am saying that they are not a magic wand. It is hard to beat a 4" 38 as a nightstand revolver.
I have been a fan of the 1911 since I was in the Marine Corps, so you know its been a while :slight_smile: I have had one for all but maybe 5 years since. I have shot bulls eye (massively humbling experience when 50% of the guys are distinguished) and MCL competition with one. I will disagree that it is harder for a newbie to learn. I taught the wife and my kids to shoot one, the wife then got one of her own and literally embarrassed a female prison guard off the range. I also have the Ruger except I got the 22-45 and put a Bushnell red dot on it. Looks like a Star Wars blaster.

1 Like

My experience in the Army with a 1911 was not good. I think the pistol was a WW 2 left over. The whole outside was bare metal. It rattled like a tin can. I shot my one mag and never shot another center fire until I bought a Smith SDW9.
It was almost as bad as that 45.
The Sig P320 I have now is light years beyond those 2. Or will be when I find some ammo.

The Army taught me about the 1911. From the early 80’s until the beretta was brought out. Those old 1911’s were so worn out they would just rattle, but they would also go bang every time!

1 Like

I have only carried while bowhunting elk in Colorado. I started doing so when I was stalked at dark by a Mountain Lion. It left me alone when I stayed out in a short grass meadow talkin loudly and shininga light at it. Started carrying a 45 after that. I used it once to scare off another Lion at dark It took two rounds to convince it to leave. The third shot, however, would have been fatal. If I only had my longbow with me I would have killed it, but the 45 saved that cats life.

I have called several lions in while calling elk right at sunset so they come in hunting an elk. Only the one seemed really interested . Black bears have never stood their ground when they knew I was around, but that doesn’t mean they can’t be dangerous. Most truly wild animals that don’t live around folks seem to fear us. I haven’t been around Grizzlies, but the moose I have seen haven’t been inclined to stay.

I have never felt the need to carry otherwise, and that includes many years of back country backpacking, camping, fishing, and paddling.

1 Like

I have a CWP but have no desire to carry primarily because of the legal mess it can create.
Our best weapon is our brain.

2 Likes

Shoot…then paddle like hell! :laughing:

I took a relative shooting and had her try a semi auto and a revolver as she was interested in getting a gun to keep at home with her. She chose the revolver because the semi auto “had too many things”. She has memory issues. After she got one, I’d make a point to stop by her place to chat, then ask her to get the gun. I then had her unload it, then load it. She had me put a lock on her bedroom door also for when other people came over.

I too grew up on 1911s, but for what my interests are, there are a lot better options nowadays. With pistols, for me it’s strictly self defense and to train for the scenarios that are out there now. Revolvers are too slow and the 1911s lack capacity. Been long enough since I shot one, it’d be interesting to see how they stack up speed wise with a 9 of today, which are in a race with each other to have better triggers out of the box.

If I ever have to use my gun, it will be damn well justified. I’ll take the legal mess that brings over death.

Carried by 6 or judged by 12. I’ll take my chances with the jury

2 Likes

Yes, my wife and I both own firearms.
Yes, we both have our concealed carry permits.
Yes, we both practice on a regular basis with our weapon of choice. Mine is a Ruger SP 101 .38/.357; hers is Smith & Wesson Model 60 .38/.357.
If we are on an extended canoeing trip, one of both of us will be carrying; typically me.

I carried 1911s during 12 years in the Army.
Yes, it used it in combat.
I was also a member of an Army pistol team and shot in competition.
While attending college, I worked as an armed guard for Wells Fargo. I carried a Smith and Wesson, .38 Chiefs Special.

I currently own multiple pistols; Colt 1911, Beretta .380 auto., Beretta .25 auto, 2 Ruger .38/.357, 2 Ruger .44 magnum, 2 Ruger 45 Long Colt , and a Ruger .22/.22Magnum

I also own and shoot two .50 caliber, black powder rifles, and two 12 gauge pump shotguns (meet & greet/home defense).

Whether or not you own firearms, or carry fireams is a personal decision. I don’t offer advice on which gun someone should own, or carry. I will say this; if you carry a firearm you should be prepared to make well reasoned decisions about their use, and if you don’t, you should be prepared to deal with the natural consequences of your actions.

BOB

Pictured are my CCW weapon rig, and my wife’s CCW weapon pictured with my Ruger Security Six

Ruger Security Six and Smith and Wesson Model 60

1 Like

Your brain is your greatest tool for staying safe.
Be careful where you sleep. Know your neighbors. Anticipate wildlife visits.

I have pointed loaded firearms at other humans twice. Both were justified and stopped threats. The consequences of using a firearm on humans are terrible. Resist the temptation as much as possible. Even if you are right, you may lose your marriage, your house and everything else you own.

Learn the ways of wildlife. A warning shot can stop a charge. Predators are harder to stop than people imagine. Avoid shooting critters at all costs. Bear spray is much better at close range.

Anyone that needs to carry firearms to go the store has some serious issues that we cannot solve here.

4 Likes

My intro to the 1911 was with a DI standing next to me who said “That “feathers” target doesnt have any “feathers” holes in its “feathers” face. You better put some “female parent feathers” holes in it”
Put 4 out of 5 in the head at 25 yards in a line up the left side. Never fired a hand gun before that. Not sure if he was impressed or pissed but I didnt do any more pushups than everyone else that day even though he told me to put the next magazine on the right side and I didnt do as well.
If yall want to go down the BP road…

I’m in. Just remember, when you are hunting with a flintlock, its only a possibles bag only if you have a dead animal on your head. If not, its just a man purse.

2 Likes

Sweet looking rifle! I’ve been thinking about adding another flintlock. Kentucky or Pennsylvania. Something long with that long fore e nd, historically accurate and a slooooow twist to get the best ball accuracy.
I say historically accurate, but one exception to that might be the caliber. I’m thinking bigger than 50 for good elk medicine.

Since it is a hunting rifle it is 54 cal. which is probably the best overall cal. Otherwise it is a Pennsylvania barn gun with a better lock. 44in swamped bbl (Getz) Single trigger and a Siler lock. No bling, no schnable, no patch box. .535 ball with a .018 patch over 70 of 2F. Don Getz built it. One of the last before he passed.
If you have never tried a PA longrifle the balance is amazing.