14-14.5' Kayak suggestion?

Thanks. That’s what I was afraid of with the Tsunami. I want something I can grow into, and not outgrow right away.
I had a Fathom LV for a spell last year. Took it out onto the bay near me. Handled well but, didn’t like the cockpit. I also like the skeg. I’d prefer a skeg over a rudder but, that’s not a deal breaker for me.

I guess I should add that I am looking more for a transitional kayak so, 14’ is a good size.
I have a cedar strip kayak build underway which will give me a nice 17’6" Spring Run kayak. That should be good for my long touring yak. Still a year away from finishing that (in my little spare time).

I‘lol cast another vote for the Dagger Stratos. I love mine.

1 Like

I’ve had my CD Kestrel for years and love it, but I think it’s about 13’. I’m also in the market for a 14’ boat, but I want a sit-on-top and so far I’m very impressed with the Swell Scupper 14 and the Eddyline Caribbean 14. Can’t wait to do some test paddling!

This really sounds like you’re staring at a Stratos…

Stratos is sounding better. Now just need to find one to try.

OK, my short list is now … Dagger Stratos 14.5L or Venture Islay 14.

I have found dealers not too far from me. Just need to wait for them to open up so I can go in and play with them in person.

Anyone have opinions on how these compare??

My wife has had an Islay 14 LV for 7 years or so. When we went out today, I mentioned to her how well the plastic has been holding up. The outfitting has never given us an issue, Also, the hatches remain bone-dry. However – without any first-hand knowledge to say so, I wouldn’t be confident taking that boat through any rapids and I don’t think it would be the best surfer. So, if you’re thinking, river play or surfing, I would go with the Stratos. Otherwise, the Islay is a fine boat with decent speed.

I had the Venture Islay briefly. A really nice boat, though heavy. They have a new material that shaves off a few pounds. Add my voice to the praise for the CD Vision. My first kayak was the CD Vision 130. It’s light, nimble and efficient. Still paddle it.
While a bit more delicate (and a good bit more expensive) the Stellars are light and fast. Don’t know where you are, but Puddledockers in Ithaca, NY usually has a good inventory.

Just had my Dagger Stratos 14.5L our yesterday! What a great kayak!!! Comfortable, agile, straight as a whip with the skeg deployed… can’t wait to get out again!

1 Like

There is a 14’6" Cayuga nearby in nice shape.
Would that be a good option? Anyone know about Cayugas?

“Anyone know about Cayugas?”

Yes. Keep looking at Stratos’s. :stuck_out_tongue:

FWIW, I’m in the business, and have dozens of demo touring and day touring boats available from all the major lines, and still choose a Stratos 145S when I want to go out on Lake Michigan and just have fun. Responsive, great in waves, decent flat water speed for its length. There are many other excellent boats in the size range, but the Stratos is fairly unique in what it brings to the table. If you can find one, it’s hard to go too far wrong.

1 Like

The Stratos 145L weight of 57 lbs is a little off-putting. I’ll see if I can fit well in a 145S.

I weigh 135 pounds and will be sliding a 55 pound boat onto the roof of a car in a few weeks as well as regularly lifting about the same off the ground into Hullivator cradles. I was handling closer to 60 pounds for most of my paddling, using stackers so sliding onto and off of roof. The Hullivator was a pass to getting to 65.

I am not a super anything, I use tools.

Why the concern about 57 pounds?

1 Like

That’s awesome. Congratulations.

Well, I went ahead and picked up a demo Hurricane Sojourn 146 in excellent shape.
At 14’6" the length is great for my needs, a transitional boat. Have had it out a few times and I really like it. The foot rest system needs work … doesn’t hold the setting very well. I may look into replacing it.
It has no rudder or skeg but, comes “rudder ready”.
The seat is comfortable with a very low back support.
Had it out on a small river and also a small bay, with a crosswind. To me it tracks very well. I had relatively little weathercocking in a crosswind. Still, it could probably use the rudder if I take it into more open water.
I hope to use it enough to outgrow it in a few years. LOL
Now, I want a new paddle. My old paddle is 20 yrs old with an aluminum handle … relatively heavy.

Stay tuned. Hope to post a pick soon.

1 Like

Say, you’re in New England, aren’t you? Did you buy it Newbury Canoe and Kayak?

I’ve wondered why Venture dumped the Easky 15 models when they brought out the Islays. I have heard the Islays are great performers, but so is my Easky LV and it is far lighter, though a longer boat. Even the Islay 14 LV is 6 pounds heavier. I refuse to own any boat over 50 lbs any more.

I think the Easky’s are still marketed in the UK but they vanished here about 7 years ago. We had to search for a used Easky for my boyfriend back then once he fell in love with mine after using it. I would never give mine up – it has handled everything from coastal surf to class 2-3 whitewater and at only 46 pounds is far easier for little old me to wrangle than any of the other hardshell touring boats that have passed through my fleet.

Hi NotThePainter,
Why, yes I did. They opened up by appointment only. They had a few nice looking demos for sale so I made an apointment and went out there with my son. I first looked at a Venture Islay 14 LV they had. I was hoping they had a non-LV Islay but, no luck. The cockpit wasn’t to my liking so I then looked at the Sojourn. Large cockpit but, not too big for my spray skirt.
Took it out on the river to test and liked the way it handled. The hull does have some flex but, much less than I expected and I don’t see it as a problem at all.

That’s probably my boat! I traded it last year in May. It has only one full season on it and the tail end and beginning of another. Always stored upside down on a rack on the north side of the house. It will be a great boat for you. I had just outgrown it. (I’ve been paddling on and off for about a decade.)

Once you get more comfortable with it you can start edging it to make sharper turns. That’s what’s great about that hull for someone getting into a more “serious” boat. It takes a set and holds it. That’s also why I sold it, there isn’t any variation in it. So you can’t lean it a lot more or a lot less. My previous boat had a more rounded bottom. (I sold that because it was too small for me and as I aged caused a lot of body pain.) You won’t need the rudder at all unless you start paddling in windy, say 15-20mph conditions. Then you’ll wish you had it.

But this a great boat, I’m glad it went to a member of our community.

(Oh, I replaced it with a P&H Cetus MV which is all the boat I’m ever going to need. LOL…, so why am I still looking at boats. That’s the kayaking way…)

1 Like