14-15' kayak under 50 lbs?

I’ll second that.

– Last Updated: Jan-04-13 10:39 AM EST –

A previous post recommended taking a look at NC kayaks. I second that with extreme prejudice. I know you (the OP) mentioned that you would not consider a boat without a test paddle. Well that probably wouldn't be possible unless you live somewhere in the Northwest, but the same is probably true of a lot of other really great boats.

NC does not make a 15' boat, but they do make a great little 15'-8" sea kayak. They are also having their super winter sale. It is worth taking a look--if for no other reason than to see what a fabulous boat you can get for well below the cost you stated.

I don't own one of their 15'-8" models, but I do own a 19 footer and a friend of mine owns the "fifteen." I wouldn't trade mine for anything and neither would my friend. Take a look at nckayaks.com.

Impex Mystic
Add the Impex to your list. It is a sleek, lovely small kayak. I am with Chuck, though, and would personally prefer a folding kayak. If you would consider a folder add the Feathercraft Kurrent and the Long Haul UTE to your list of prospects. Generally Feathercrafts are lighter in weight, nicer to paddle, easier to carry, but more time consuming to assemble; Long Hauls (and the very similar Kleppers) are heavier (although the UTE meets your spec), more rugged, and much quicker to assemble. Folding kayaks are an acquired taste, but once acquired, their appeal transcends any rigid boat.

Hurricane Tampico 140

– Last Updated: Jan-04-13 11:25 AM EST –

I have one (listed at 45 pounds) and I'm very happy with it. I kept up with a 2.5 feet longer boat than mine last year in bouncy water. There are 2 versions, the 140S (http://hurricaneaquasports.com/kayaks/tampico140s.html) and the roomier 140L
(http://hurricaneaquasports.com/kayaks/tampico140l.html). The S has thigh braces and a backband, the L has no braces and a more comfort oriented seat. I bought the L because I barely fit in the S. My friend who is about your height has an S and loves it.

Delta 14.5
Epic V6

NC 15

Necky Eliza

Sterling makes very light boats, but over 2K

Eddyline Equinox
Hi,

The Eddyline Equinox would be another good option to investigate. 14’, 45 lbs, and retails for $1799.

Cheers,

Eddyline

more suggestions
My two favorite kayaks (in a sequentially owned fleet of more than a dozen) are both fairly light and nimble and around 14-15 feet. One is a 37 lb Feathercraft Wisper folder (bought used for $2200) and the other a hard shell P & H Venture Easky LV (46 lbs and under $1200 new). We also have a couple of Pakboat folders and they are coming out with a new model of their XT kayak around that size this year which is intriguing and in your spec range. Probably well under $2000.

Not quite a proven product yet but the Orukayak Origami folder is an interesting concept and certainly looks portable and easy to set up.

I also have a skin on frame and agree that the F1 might be a good boat to look into for you. My 18’ SOF weighs in at 31 pounds and is a snap to load and carry to the water. It’s amazing how much having a light boat can simplify paddling and amplify the enjoyment thereof.

SoF
You might want to take a look at a fuselage style skin on frame. They don’t require much in the way of wood working, and there’s a million and a half ways of putting ‘em together. Yostwerks.com has some good designs, pics, and step by step instructions. The site was put together by an engineer, though, so it’s recommended to read through all of the site, even if you’re only building a non-folding kayak.

You don’t have to use PVC to cover the kayak like Tom does, either. I used 8 oz polyester, covered it in PL Premium Construction Adhesive, then Rustoleum. There’s been a lot of success using ballistic nylon and varnish, instead. I lashed all my joints, too… no need for epoxy or screws.

It’d be hard to build a 15’ SoF over 50 lbs without getting really excessive on the size of the frames or stringers, unless you use absurd wood (mahogany for the stringers, for example).

Impex Sea Breeze?
Maybe also consider an Impex Sea Breeze

I was going to get a Impex Mystic, then stumbled on a really killer deal on an Impex Sea Breeze - Same hull as the Mystic just without the skeg and front bulkhead/hatch - and about 5 - 6 pounds lighter - mine last weighed was at 39 pounds.

Squamish
Current Designs Squamish might fit you well, if you like a tighter fit. It is ~$1300, just over 15 foot, skeggy, and versatile. I have squeezed into one, and it felt lighter than the 54 pounds listed on the website.

Contact me when the ice melts in
central IL. I have one that might work for you, but it’s right at 50 lbs and is kevlar.

Why the restriction to 15’ length if paddling larger creeks and small rivers? Some 16’ & 17’ kayaks are quite nimble because of relatively short waterline length compared to the overall length.

I was fortunate to find a used carbon Epic Touring Cruiser 16 that weighs about 36 lbs and it’s my kayak of choice for non-bony creek paddling, because of it’s light weight and good fit for my 5’6" 165 load.

The Eddyline Fathom LV should have room for you and is quite sporty, quick & efficient.

Will do!
My restriction to 15’ is indeed somewhat artificial. In the little bit of research I did before posting it seemed to hit a sweet spot between weight and price.

The 50 pounds is a little artificial too in that it’s 10 pounds beyond what my neurosurgeon said I should be lifting. I’m just going to need to keep working on strength and conditioning and see how it all feels in the spring. 50 pounds as a “limit” may or may not work, especially at first: it’s a little depressing how quickly I fell out of shape!

I can identify with being out of
condition.

I prefer not to lift any boats over 40 lbs, though how well they’re balanced makes a big difference when picking them up and loading them on the vehicle.

14’ Petrel Play
I’m starting the construction of a stitch and glue “Petrel Play” kayak tomorrow in a class with the designer, Nick Schade of Guillemot kayaks.

Will post about the construction experience when finished and review it in the summer, after paddling it for a few months.

Dave

Petrel Play
I hope the class is great–please do post an update! I’ll be hitting their booth at Canoecopia.

I’m keeping an eye on their Michigan classes to see if they add the Petrel, but I bet it will take a while if they ever do. I do have the option of building at home, but I like guidance!

less than 50 lbs
Try Warrenlightcraft.com

A father and son team. wonderful light wt kayaks

American made!!

Lincoln Canoe and Kayak
Are they still around?

Many light kayaks.

http://www.lincolncanoe.com/boats.html

They were last week
when I went to their store in Freeport.

Kismet!

– Last Updated: Jan-19-13 4:57 AM EST –

I haven't been on UU for a few years, and I log on, and bruce and yanoer have posts from a few days ago!