14.5 touring boat on a VW GTI (Golf)

This is awesome!
thanks for the smile - loved the comments in that thread

VW front back tie down info
On the back bumper of the VW, probably on the passenger side, is a place to screw in a tow hook. Your VW dealer should have one to give to you.

My 2009 Rabbit had one on the back, there was supposed to be one on the front too but I never found it. It could have been there, I just tied the front under the hood. I carried a Pungo on my Rabbit, and later a 75 lb Sit On Top.

The 2012 Jetta I’m driving now has one of those screw in eye bolts both front and back. When a Thule J carrier broke, the front and back tie downs kept the car, the kayak, and other drivers safe.

No Problem!
I’ve got a Thule rack on my Golf TDI and some 2x4s to extend it for 2 boats without issue.

My buddy (also with a Golf) just uses foam blocks and straps that went through the passenger compartment and he was hauling a 17 footer without serious problems. The only issue was that at around 120km/h the straps started vibrating so loud you could swear there was a swarm of angry bees following you. Just add some tape to them so they arent so flat and prone to vibrating in the wind and you’re golden.

follow up on the actual experience
Hi all,

Just wanted to follow up here, I’m glad to see this generated so much interest. I actually ended up with a different boat, a 13.5 Liquidlogic Inuit, but from what I am experiencing I am sure a longer boat would work just fine too.

These sea-to-summit thingies really work! And I love that I can take them off and put them on in no time, for when I don’t want to have the added drag. I use a nose strap and a solid bomber tie-down on each of the removable racks. Without the nose tie-down I kept the speed under 55-60, because I was getting too much bounce for comfort. With it, I have gone up to 70 without any hint that there was any movement or risk thereof.

Thanks!