16 foot kayak recommendations

Perception Eclipse 17 spec sheet
http://www.perceptionkayaks.com/content/perceptionkayaks.com/assets/page/2003/eclipse.jpg

The Shadow 16.5 is available also http://www.perceptionkayaks.com/content/perceptionkayaks.com/assets/page/2003/shadow.jpg

14’ to 16’
You will experience a sensation of more speed automatically when switching to a 16+ ft boat and 22 wide. 16 - 16.5 is a good length for a kayak and you’re not heavy so it will not sink deep and be faster than a heavy person in the boat. I think your decision will be about your comfort, price and availability more than which one is the “fastest” because they will all be noticeably faster. Happy hunting.

Skills and boats
Mapes’ post above is filled with valuable information.

It is common for newer paddlers to want a boat that is fast, not fall over, and goes straight (track). Some paddlers continue to feel that they just want to go fast in a direction and not capsize. Some come to feel they would like to develop the skills to take their boat in to a greater array of waters than the nearby pond, small lake or river. Choose a boat that is most supportive of your aspirations.

great all-around boat
If you are looking for great initial stability and even better rough water performance, check out the Nigel Dennis ROMANY 16’ with it’s 21" beam. Don’t get the high volume one inasmuch as at 5’8" and 190 lbs I fit just fine in my standard boat. The rest of the kayakers will not be leaving you behind, unless they are paddling QCC700 or Epic 18’s. I’ve had my Romany 16 for about 16 years and still like it a lot. Best wishes.

get some instruction THEN
look for used boats. There are plenty of “fast” used composite boats but they don’t go fast without a good motor that knows where to put th e blade.

If you want appreciably faster but not longer than 16’ you’re looking at just a few kayaks. There are lots of 16’ kayaks that can be paddled faster than the Manitou14 but it still takes technique. Get some forward stroke videos.