16 Foot Recommendations

The 400X is fast for it’s size, but isn’
Very playful for me at 5’6" and 160 lbs.

My Epic 16x is is maybe a bit faster, but is way more fun for me.

Yanoer
Your right not to playful and to wide of a boat for me.

add day length
to water temperature …

day shortnesss.

Oregon, 12/13

The tide came in at 4:00PM at the mouth of the…

It is a very secure feeling and capable
kayak. I might choose it on a trip where most of my paddling would be straight ahead or when the water was cold and I wanted to minimize my chances of capsize.

Most of my paddling is in benign conditions for an hour or so on a local lake, so maneuverability and playfulness are prized more highly than stability and security.

Extreme for sale
Yes indeed, bigger water and the ability of more speed with less physical effort. As for other expectations, I am a real long distance type of endurance guy on land, and figure why should I let water stop me in that aspect?

The Extreme mentioned above is a great boat according to your needs and body size. I have one and I am 6’ 210-220 depending on season. You could probably get it for a few bucks less than the ad. You may need a wide base seat to be super comfortable and leave room for slight rotation while using legs for fast paddling. Pedal upgrade is another option for the Extreme if you like Sea Dog system no big deal and not required but I like it. Extreme / Nomad is a great boat fast accelerates easily, good in rough or calm water, comfortable for your size. Being 63 I can go out and cruise at good speed 4.5-5 mph easily top speed is about 7 mph for me in a sprint. Boat is well made and second to none and light for it’s size at around 50 lb. With your size to can handle it easily as I can. There are some other Current Designs boat around used like Solstice or Infinity. Buy a boat you can grow into and it’s cheaper in the long run than moving up again. Seat and glass work to put in wide base seat is not a big deal I have done it to my Solstice and Extreme.

the difference between
12’ x 29" kayak and a true sea kayak at 17 + feet is mind boggling. You do need more skills to paddle it but that comes with time and practice. Your Pungo to a Extreme will take a good bit of learning especially to re-enter. The rewards are immense.

another
(Chappaqua, NY) Current Designs Caribou VG condition. Only minor scratches. Garaged. Compression hatch cam straps replaced with new design. Fiberglass. Orange over white with black composite seam. photos available. $1,150. – Submitted by: DavidH1View Profile

how much longer?
I am easily a 45-60 mile type of kayaker, with an eye towards much longer distance & open water conditions.

that is a feat in one day

mph

– Last Updated: Feb-17-16 7:07 PM EST –

so 60 miles at 5 mph is 12 hr. without stopping. What do you think your cruising average will be in a sea kayak? What would much longer be 80 miles or more? Drop down for a Long Island paddle one day. Back yard is a large canal 20 minutes and your in Jones Inlet I go out all year. Plenty of bays also. What paddles or sea kayaks have you tried? Thinking of a surf ski? I never tired one but want to this year. What other kayaks have you tried?

know what I think ?
No, what do you think ?

we need a specialized down river kayak boat hull for the poster’s defined sport and a touring model.

If the analysis shows more than a 10% improvement in speed with a reduction in energy expenditures.

know what I think?
Evinrude or Mercury.

OB
out shopping for one.