1st time BWCA advice

Preach
Preach just out of curiosity why a brimmed hat rather than a baseball hat? Also I looked at the grocery store and there is a ton of just add water type items that my crew will be more than happy to eat after a day of paddling. I love food but for the most part our crew would probably be content eating just granola bars the whole time of course I am sure one of them is going to bring Ramen Noodle too, we just wouldn’t be college kids with out it. I really starting to get antsy. When and how do they notify you about the permit results? And thanks everyone for all the advice and please keep trickling it in without you guys I wouldve headed up there with jeans and a hooded sweatshirt, pounds of potatoes and onions, and my tackle box.

Rain and sun

– Last Updated: Jan-06-06 8:47 AM EST –

A baseball cap keeps the sun out of your eyes.

A real hat (heehee) keeps the sun out of your eyes and off your ears and neck. It will also keep the rain off said body parts.
It can also be used to fan the fire when you don't feel like getting on your hands and knees with your face in the coals, remember that Survivor season where the idgit did a face plant into the fire.
It can be used as a pot lid, just in case.
It can be used as a landing net.
It can be used as a frisbee.
If you're wearing a bug net, it will keep the mesh off your skin and thus the bugs at bay.

Actually, I often think about bringing a frisbee too. They make great plates and fan fires. I understand you can play games with them too.

I paid $10 for my hat at Canadian Tire. It replaced my 2nd Tilly Hat. Tillys are nice, I'm no longer convinced that any hat is worth $50.

Ramen noodles are notoriously void of nutrition. They're great filler. They pack light and who cares if they get crushed. Fortify with a litre of soup. Knorr is my favorite brand. One of the easiest, lightest, cheapest dinners you can make. In fact, I'm pretty sure my food bag has some in it at all times. One emergency meal, just in case.

Bring a Bandana, too
A wide brim hat is for the reasons Preacher mentions. It’s what I generally use. But a basballcap can work with a bandana. Tuck it in your hat and let it hang down to cover your ears and the back of your neck.

Bandanas are useful for all kinds of things, too. It can be wetted to cool you off, used as a hankerchief, a potholder, etc.

I, too, like Knorr soup mix. I have a package of vegetable soup tucked away in my pack. It is for my fish dinner. If I catch enough fish, I make a side dish of minute rice with the Knorr soup mixed in to make flavored rice. If I catch one fish, I make the Knorr soup (with a lot of extra water, of course) fortified with the minute rice and fish chunks. If I catch no fish, it’s the soup fortified with the minute rice and whatever else (such as cheese and salami chunks). Most times it is the last variation. :slight_smile:

One last thing … If you decide to make pancakes one morning, I always make some extra. I thin the batter out first before cooking. Bag them up in and extra zip lock bag. Then for lunch I have the pancakes smeared with jelly and rolled up. Mmmmmm.

Renting Some Gear
can be a good way to try out some of the things you don’t already have, if you can afford it.

I have been on trips to the BWCA the past two summers with my son, his best friend and his best friend’s dad. My son and I have pretty much all the gear we need, plus can supply most of the shared group gear. The other kid and his dad have rented a canoe each year from an outfitter. This has been very useful…

(1) they were able to get a great canoe at a pretty reasonable rate, (2) our group was able to stay in outfitter cabins (cheap!) at the start and end of the trips – great for getting that hot shower you need after a week of camping! and (3) a good outfitter can provide suggestions for good campsites, good fishing spots, and other general tips. We buy maps from the outfitter and let him mark it up with suggestions.

By the way, in my opinion, you have been getting some great advice from the other posters to your message!

Outdoor Research
Most people either love 'em or hate 'em, but I highly recommend the OR Seattle Sombrero or the lighter OR Sahale Sombrero (my preference). In addition to the qualities Preacher pointed out, the OR is waterproof, breathable, crushable, has a longer brim in the back and creates its own “microclimate”.

It’s my favorite piece of gear.

Some Nice Routes
Here are some suggested routes for you that should work nicely for your purpose. These are off the Gunflint or Arrowhead:

1. Up the Arrowhead, paddle down the Royale River to South Fowl, up to Moose and Mountain on the border, portage up and over into Clearwater and then come back via the Pikes or portage from Clearwater to Caribou and come back on Pine. Good fishing on the Pikes. This is a very fun route in some mountainous looking terrain.

2. Granite River from Gunflint Lake to the Sag. Has some mild fast water that you can line or portage. It’s pretty easy stuff. Fun trip!

3. One of my favorite trips is to run the Frost River. Put in on Ham, head to Karl, to Gordon, to Frost, down the river, and work your way back. If you have extra time head out to the Little Sag.

4. Put in on the Brule, find a campsite, spend time exploring the Brule, paddle up and check out Cam Lake (very cool), then portage to Juno, take out on Homer, walk back to your car.

If you need to know specifics about these routes, let me know. Or if you have questions about the eastern side of the BWCA, let me know, I live in Grand Marais, so I know this side pretty well.

Bryan

my permit
I got my permit for june 23 at lake one. ! step down. I now have to get a map to go over the route, Breymer never really suggest one over the other can someone shed some light on which brand to get. Also are portages marked by signs or will you just see an obvious trail?

BWCAW solo
Both McKenzie and Fisher are good, each is a little different, many use both. I use Maptech software and print my own, lots of good map sources even online. Most maps mark portages and camps but these can change year to year. In the BWCAW you will need to look for [no signs] portages and campsites [need park service fire grate and latrine to qualify].

butthead

Map differences
Fisher: all my Fisher series maps are marked 1983; 1.5 inch = 1 mile; 20 ft contour lines only for U.S.; blue lakes on yellow background; Lat / long in degree / min / sec; easier on the eyes for traditional navigation with map and compass in my opinion; the disclaimer on every map makes me laugh, “Map is not intended for navigational use and is not represented to be correct in every aspect.”

McKenzie: 2 inches = 1 mile; 20 ft coutour lines in U.S, 50 ft contour lines in Canada; new McKenzies (since 2004) have blue lakes on brown background; maps since 2003 contain UTM information; harsher on the eyes for traditional map and compass navigation in my opinion.

Navigation features that you watch go by as you travel - points, bays, islands, creeks, channels, etc. are presented pretty darn acurately on both series of maps. But circumstances sometimes cause portages to be relocated. With either series sometimes you will navigate to where the map says a portage should be and won’t find it. Just systematically look and it will be in the vicinity. If you use a GPS unit, you may find the McKenzie’s more useful.

Have fun. I’m going for my first time
this year also but in the Fall.

I did it
Just got back. Weather was perfect a lil rain one day. Fishing was good. We ate steaks the 1st night then fresh fish the other 2 nights. The only thing was there was alot of paddlers. We camped at the SE end of lake 3. Made a couple day trips to other lakes. Saw my first moose. Everything went perfect and I am now sold.

Yes! Survivors!
Thanks for the followup. Glad you had a good experience.