20+ Day Wilderness Flatwater-Class I

LaVerendrye in Quebec
Lots of options for an extended trip, fewer people, dog friendly.

http://www.canot-camping.ca/english/index.asp

long trips

– Last Updated: Aug-16-15 12:32 PM EST –

Ft Peck Res is big water with few places to go ashore.

The trip from Ft Benton to Kipp Bridge on the Missouri R in Montana is a good one at 151 miles. It can easily be done in 6 days or so.

20 days is not so long that
you need to worry about resupply if you get really organized. My suggestion is that you leave the US and head north. You won’t regret it.

The North Is Loaded With Mosquitoes
Slow water means tons of skeeters as you head north. The farther north you go the worst it gets. I hate skeeters. Call me a wimp, but I’ve had my fill of them.

A slow circumnavigation of Lake Mohave gives you a variety of scenery as well as a hike to hot springs. Much of the shore is designated wilderness as well as just plain wild country. Parts of the lake has horsepower restrictions on boats as well as non-motorized days in Black Canyon. Plus there’s almost no skeeters. There are snakes, if you’re lucky enough to see one. Desert big horn sheep can often be spotted along the canyon.

Some bug spray, long-sleeves + a good
headnet are a few basics that can take care of bugs…

Yellowstone river
The Yellowstone river is 500 miles with no dams. It’s the only river in the lower 48 that has not ben dammed. The total trip takes about 60 to 90 day’s depending on river flow.

You put in about 30 miles outside the park and get out when it dumps into Missouri river, or continue to New Orleans.

So you should be able to get 20 days easy on the Yellowstone River.

long flat water
One of your options is to slow down the pace. Have some layover days. Go find a town and take a shower. Don’t go so far each day and have a relaxed pace. Then a trip of 200 miles might take 20 days.

way down upon
the suwannee river, 250 miles from the Okeefenokee to the gulf.

I’m based between Estero Bay and Big Carlos Bay. The county has an air force of mosquito control planes. The county is winning. Ma Snowbird wants to walk her dog at 11PM, turtles alligators birds frog and lizards be damned to hell.

The attack is now statewide from the Ocala National Forest formerly clean air and down on Alligator Alley.

Now so when I left for the coast in 2008.

Yet on the West Coast’s coastal desert, SJI, Cascades, Lower Colorado above Yuma…in 6 years I counted 11 mosquitoes.

But wait ! is there sprayinginginginging ?

YES…deadly Big Ag Big Chem spraying.

Inland Washington and Oregon are thus uninahabitable.

Add woodsmoke.

I was working on an outline for the Sam Hill Stonehenge above Biggs Corners on the Columbia.

Air was very good. An apple orchard is below the Stonehenge cliff down on the Columbia.

A few days there I spotted several black beetles in the Henge area’s grass.

In 24 hours the entire area was poisonous lest those few beetles carry off an apple crop.

11 !

far from flat water
The yellowstone is far from flat water as she was asking about.

Cheers

Rivers without dams
I can think of many rivers in the US with do dams on them, but I like to paddle them and they will remain nameless.

The Yellowstone R is a good choice for people with moving water experience. It has some strong current in early part of the year. Start around Big Timber. There are plenty of places to resupply along the way.

sandwiched between
woman eats bear stories:

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&gl=us&tbm=nws&authuser=0&q=boundry+area+canoe+trip&oq=boundry+area+canoe+trip&gs_l=news-cc.1.0.43j43i53.77396.87804.0.89823.32.16.1.15.0.1.352.2841.1j2j8j2.13.0...0.0...1ac.1.NCidplPxsLI#hl=en&gl=us&authuser=0&tbm=nws&q=freeman+boundry+area+canoe+trip

Mosquitoes up north won’t have the germs
and diseases that are spread in warmer climates…so far!(insert rolleyes)

steve

Take a look at the Rideau Canal
Kingston to Ottawa, It is very different from the western Erie Canal, portages are optional at the locks.

No “Wilderness” in Lower 48
Besides your affinity for a close B&B and resupply, there’s no unbroken tract of land in the U.S. that qualifies as a wilderness landscape outside of Alaska. I know, modern city dwellers tend to use that term loosely, but it kind of irks me, because it degrades the concept of wilderness and wilderness tripping, not to mention the value of the resource.