2010 Outback - they wrecked it!

Look at Honda!
Honda is bringing over the European model, the Accord Tourer wagon, this fall. Google it. Looks fantastic, has a nice rack, and I can’t wait to unload my VW Passat for one. Passats suck reliability wise…

recently drilled two cars
I recent drilled holes in the roof of two cars to mount the racks directly where I wanted them. I used older yakima racks on my roadmaster and older thule racks on a Scion XB.

You need special tools to install the vinyl coated jack nuts into the roof so they wont leak. You will also need to drill the towers or but some landing pads.

Then it is easy to put the racks just where you want them for maximum spread.

You have to be brave and willing to drill holes in a roof. I’d recommend doing it first on an older beater canoe hauler.

Subie is going up market
with the Outback. Shame because it was a great niche car/cross vehicle. First problem is the 30k plus price tag.

The Toyota Venza suffers from Dodge Magnum disease. You may recall the Magnum was a very stylish wagon put out by Chrysler for a few years. The car failed because what it had in looks it lacked in utility. The curved roofline made carrying anything, inside or out almost impossible. So you were left with a vehicle that you could put a cool custom paint job on with some big rims, but little else. The Venza, for its bulk doesn’t have much more, if any, carrying capacity than its platform mate, the Camry.

Looks like the pure wagon segment is downsizing once again as crossover vehicles are getting the nod. This will force loyal owners to a decision point between going SUV or car. I went thru this years ago as our utiliy vehicles for 20 years were Mercury Colony Park Wagons. Great cars and sought after today! I switched to SUVs with Jeep Grand Cherokees. They carries less than the Merc, but they can go off road, so it works for me.

Accord Tourer
I’ll take one if they bring it over. Screw Subbie.

I agree with what you are saying on
the Toyota Venza. My wife and I really wanted to like this vehicle, but for the interior space it has, much of it is wasted. Liken it to a Camry on steroids.

For kayak roof-topping the Venza factory rail system sucks as bad as the 2010 Subie. After market rack options are non-existent. OF course we could always go the rubust 2x4 option as someone suggested! I don’t think so. :wink:

I’ll have to take a look at the new Honda wagon when it rolls in.

Good deals
can be had on Jeep Grand Cherokees. I know, I know- not what you want.

I decided to try one in 1996 when the last Mercury wagon was done and haven’t looked back. I’ve owned three since. Great all around vehicles and among the most comfortable leather seats i’ve ever sat in. And that’s sayin’ somethin’ because I also own a luxury car.

one downfall is relatively low MPG, I avg around 16-17mpg. Still, it’s all good. The jeep goes everywhere. With all the rain my normal putin was inaccessable to all but those with four whl drive and high ground clearance. No problem slipping and sliding my way back to a very uncrowded put in. couldn’t do that with a wagon.

Was that a reply to my post?
If so, I’d say no, this is something you can do in a couple of hours if you have the ability to do it in the first place. It’s not a solution for everybody, but it is a possibility some might consider.

Darn
We were hoping to like the Venza too. Not looking favorable…

Correct…

– Last Updated: Aug-11-09 4:01 PM EST –

Celia,
You may have to see it for yourself, but there is no way I can see to mounting after market yakima/thule crossbars or accessories to the Venza's factory rails.

The Venza has almost aircraft-carrier space on its roof which could in theory be utilized, but their factory rail design limits what you can actually fit up there. Toyota's crossbars are also not compatible with Yakima/Thule products. One can only mount 'Toyota' accessories between the massive rails.

Also, the last I checked neither Yakima or Thule had towers to fit the Venza, if you opted to pass on the Toyota factory rails.

In time
The rack manufacturers may catch up to these new rack designs. For now though, that could be an expensive bet if they don’t.

SUBARU IS JUNK
We have a 2003 Subaru Forester and it has had so many problems, and is going downhill! Rear hatch latch sticks, hood does not lock when closed, left rear tower rattles, too expensive to replace or fix!, rear axle outer bearing burned out, replaced $500., engine sensors CO and O2, $300. each., can’t change one tire if worn, all four must be changes!!! Walmart won’t sell you one tire, just try it! Only sell four!! go figure that one out! Mileage indicator just went dark, engine light keeps coming on and off, disconnect battery fixes this!!! Rear alum. heat shield, vibrating loudly, plastic screws falling out, when plate over oiul filter is unscrewed to change oil!!! AND much more! Not happy with our SUBARU! We bought new! Dealer is a ripoff artist too, Just leave the car and get hit with $1,000.00 repair bill! Never buy one again!!!

Jetta Diesel
Had a couple launching kayaks here at Norrie Point last weekend - were driving a new Jetta clean diesel wagon. Said they LOVED the car, loved it much more than they expected to. Getting around 40 mpg, but I’m not sure that was with boats on top. Looked like the rack was fine for kayaks, but I did not measure the bar spread.

Will have to look at one, but I’m getting too much invested in the old Outback to give up on it. Something over $3000 in the last 6 months…

Alan

Jetta diesel vs Subaru Outback
I had it narrowed down to these two this spring. Really wanted to like the Jetta TDI wagon with my 108 mile commute, but wound up with a new 09 Outback. Its hard to find the TDI wagons not loaded with every single option - and some of those options, like the sunroof, are of questionable reliability. The savings on fuel could be easily offset by the cost of repairs, so I didn’t chance it. VW has decided it doesn’t need its old customers who liked to keep it simple.

There’s a myth that Subarus get lousy fuel economy. I average 29 mpg (calculated, not using the digital readout), driving reasonably, with a range from 27 to 32, so far in the first 9300 miles with the 09 Outback. I’ll go to synthetic oil with the next oil change and expect a slight improvement.

2010 Outback - Any new thoughts?
I’m seriously considering purchasing the 2010 Outback. I checked out the Toyota Venza and its way too big for me. The new rack on the Outback is very unusual. The design almost forces you to use the integrated cross bars. The spread did indeed appear to be approximately 36 inches. The rack could be a deal breaker for me but I’m just not sure yet.

Thanks,

Circumnavigator