2015 Affordable Drysuits

what are your exposure times like?
do you do large open water crossings, near the shore, on rivers? If your exposure times are short I think bombers oneida (semi dry) would do the trick. Otherwise I think a full dry suit. Sometimes I will mate a farmer john with a dry top but like I said before sometimes you just have to pull the trigger. I have the luxury of picking what I want on any given weekend so the farmer john works well for me a few weekends a year (Gauley Season)

Bought my last drysuit ONLINE from “the clymb” but there deals sellout quick.

$$$$$$$$$
how much is your life worth? If you are uncomfortable how will the paddle be? Water in the NE USA is warmer in Dec then March or April.

what are you saying?

– Last Updated: Aug-15-15 10:52 PM EST –

I checked some marine surface temps, and you are correct regarding the relative temp in dec. vs march. It looks like march (along with feb) has the coldest water temps. what would be appropriate? a 4/3 wet? a dry? would a farmer john w/ a top have any advantages over a full suit (or vice versa)?

Dale
Cough up the bill already…

Safety vs. comfort
For paddling rivers at least, you will be fine in in March in a farmer john wetsuit. People have done it for years. Add a hydroskin top underneath the wetsuit, a splash jacket on top, neoprene socks (maybe two pair), boots and gloves. Don’t forget a hat for your head, and put some spare cloths in a dry bag. It’s relatively safe, but certainly not comfortable - you are going to be cold. If you are serious about off season paddling, get a drysuit.

bomber is continuing to discount
their prices as they go out of business- good time to buy a drysuit

http://www.bombergear.com/products/dry-gear/men

more questions

– Last Updated: Aug-16-15 1:44 PM EST –

Regarding drysuits:

1. what's the difference between a run-of-the-mill drysuit and a "paddling suit"? Reinforcement in certain areas?

2. how easy is a drysuit to get into/out of?

3. how durable is a drysuit on land (for setting up camp, etc.? How 'bout working on a ship (moving equipment, rigging, etc.)?

4. how baggy are drysuits? I'm heard that swimming in a drysuit is like swimming in a garbage bag.

5. how expensive is it to replace the latex gaskets with neoprene?

6. is safety compromised by using neoprene gaskets rather than latex?

7. Is it practical to wear something over a drysuit on land to protect it from abrasion?

8. For fishermen: would wading in the water and fishing be appropriate in a drysuit, or is it impractical?

9. do you prefer one with booties or without?

10. how handy is it to have the extra "urination port" zipper?

thanks.

okay I’ll take a stab at it
Regarding drysuits:

1. what’s the difference between a run-of-the-mill drysuit and a “paddling suit”? Reinforcement in certain areas?

not sure what a “paddling suit” is but the drysuits from bomber, stolquist, kokatat, mythic, nrs are designed for paddlers. One of my suits was marketed for the ocean kayak crowd but I use it ww boating- it has a detachable hood. All of these suits are designed for movement compared to traditional diver drysuits which wouldn’t be good to paddle in.

always better to have someone help you, puts less strain on the zipper but most of the front entry suits can be put on by yourself.

3. how durable is a drysuit on land (for setting up camp, etc.? How 'bout working on a ship (moving equipment, rigging, etc.)?

I baby my suits a little bit. Try to avoid sticker bushes but if I was cold I would continue to wear it on shore. Usually much more comfortable to get into dry clothes than continue wearing a drysuit.

4. how baggy are drysuits? I’m heard that swimming in a drysuit is like swimming in a garbage bag.

How baggy the suit is depends on the fit. Mine tend to be a bit baggy. In order to get a suit that fits my waist line I tend to get a suit that is too long. By the time I’m suited up in a lifejacket and sprayskirt I don’t notice the bagginess. Haven’t had any problems swimming in one, and that includes wet exiting with a dislocated shoulder. A couple advantages to wetsuits is that they are more bouyant than drysuits (unless like pillsbury doughboy you leave your suit filled with air, you forget to burp it)Wetsuits offer more protection from rocks in the river bed and are usually more bouyant than drysuits. You’ll have a better time swimming in a drysuit if you wear enough insulation underneath to match the water temperature. You can freeze in a drysuit if you don’t insulate underneath. the suit is designed to keep water out but you have to provide the insulation.

I’d replace latex with latex and neprene with neoprene. I’d try my own repairs, it won’t be pretty but it will be functional.

You’re damper with neoprene gaskets, so yes if your immersed for longer periods of time your going to be wetter and cooler. I prefer the feel of the neoprene to the latex, and I think its a bit more durable. Others prefer the latex. Semi drysuits have less fail points- that speaking from a ww point of view where I seen my share of suit failures.

7. Is it practical to wear something over a drysuit on land to protect it from abrasion? Don’t know. I personally wouldn’t go that route.

8. For fishermen: would wading in the water and fishing be appropriate in a drysuit, or is it impractical? I think it would work great for fishing.

9. do you prefer one with booties or without? pros and cons for each- I personally prefer the fabric to the latex sock because I’ve been on the river with folks who have had the latex socks fail. With all drysuits wear substantial footwear to protect the suit and keep your feet warm.

10. how handy is it to have the extra “urination port” zipper? Really handy when you got to go. In your paddles are short in duration and your really trying to save money, and remember to pee before setting out then you could go zipperless. Otherwise its really handy. If you paddle in a wet environment like ww then the tunnel for sprayskirt is really nice. Keeps cold water from seeping in around your waist, which ends up sloshing around in the bottom of the boat, and that really cools things down.

hope that helps

great reply
Thanks for the detailed response. This answered all of my questions.

neoprene is

– Last Updated: Aug-16-15 8:47 PM EST –

more comfortable closed and of course more when open....neo leaks water into the suit when you are upside down.

Booties. Gotta have booties. I wear plastic grocery bags cut short at ankles over booties and in teva sandals.

I have 2 Kokotats, one dry one neo semi dry. Koko's are durable. Reliable service, no BS.

There is a case of recommended zipper lube on the shelf. Lube clean lube. Aerospace silicone for gaskets. Clean and lube.

These suits are treated like my baby.

There are good days (few) and bad days ( many) on getting out of the suit. I am sure the day will come when I beach n need to crap before a wedding and cannah get out. Inevitable.

MF

SWIM ? man when you gotta swim you swim. Swimming in a suit filling with water is problematic. Deep trouble.
Now you know why the knife has a dull end.

pee zipper. Some paddlers have a pee bottle or bladder inside against one leg. The best pee zippers are closed zippers.

pee zippers are most often grabbed just before the big rip or cosmic waterfall.

pee zippers usually open after the big rip or cosmic waterfall.

My kit goes in a red HD Tupperware box from Walmart. These are up near the ceiling. The dry suit is washed in the kit box with the pfd, neo, booties, spray skirt removed. The dry suit soap is in there.

Hardware is in a large black tool box...1/8th shock cord, gubbins, tapes, laser .... dry suit repair package.

Dry suits are relatively rare down at Smallpox Bay. When we get out we walk over to the Turbo n crack open a Perrier.

Answers, and a question for you.

– Last Updated: Aug-17-15 11:31 AM EST –

1. If you're referring to the Kokatat product that's code for not completely dry. Their paddling suits have neoprene gaskets which are not watertight and will allow water in if you swim. That's why they cost less.
2. I'm able to get into and out of my front entry dry suit without help and without too much contortion. YMMV depending on your body type, level of physical fitness, etc.
3. They're pretty durable, but I wouldn't suggest wearing one for setting up camp, working on a ship or any other such activities. A dry suit is a specialized item with one purpose. Subjecting it to conditions for which it isn't intended is asking for trouble. That's not to say it'll disingtegrate if you have to hike out from a river or something, but if you abuse one you'll have issues, not least of which will be a voided warranty when you need repairs.
4. A properly fitted dry suit isn't all that baggy, nor is it like swimming in a garbage bag. I'm 6' 180 and my large fits me very well and is quite comfortable and well finished and articulated for good range of motion. OTOH, if I had an XL it would be baggy and billowy. The garbage bag comparison is silly in any case.
5. I would think around $150, but why would you want to do that? Latex gaskets are completely dry. Neoprene gaskets aren't, hence the cheaper price point for semi-dry (AKA Paddling) suits. If you want neoprene gaskets just buy a paddling suit for less money and go boating, but understand you'll get wet if you have a rough or extended swim.
6. Probably not under most circumstances, but comfort sure is in the event of a swim. See number 5.
7. Sure, but it would have to be something considerably larger than your normal size, and I would expect that approach to inhibit the breathability of the suit.
8. Waders are far superior to dry suits for wading. They cost less, are more comfortable and are easier to put on and take off. That said, there's no reason you couldn't wade fish in a dry suit. It would just be a case of overkill unless for example you were fishing in rough water conditions that could cause a swim.
9. Booties. No question.
10. A relief zipper is essential equipment IMO. Can you get by without one? Sure, but it's a hassle.

Now the question. If you've already said please forgive me, but what exactly are you looking to get out of a dry suit?

3rd time’s a charm
1. what’s the difference between a run-of-the-mill drysuit and a “paddling suit”? Reinforcement in certain areas?

A drysuit made for kayaking is more use-specific. Heavier fabric at wear points, for example.

It’s not quite easy, but after a few times you get the routine down. Worst part IMO is getting your head through the neck gasket.

You generally want to get into land clothes for land. A drysuit is not something you want to wear around on land for a few reasons: lack of comfort and possible damage to the suit.

4. how baggy are drysuits? I’m heard that swimming in a drysuit is like swimming in a garbage bag.

They can be a bit baggy. But you generally purge air before getting into your kayak (sometimes it’s necessary in order to fit). The purging sucks the suit closer to your body.

If you want one, get one instead of modifying it to the other.

A note about neo gaskets: they keep some people dry, and don’t keep other people dry. Seems to depend on your physiology.

7. Is it practical to wear something over a drysuit on land to protect it from abrasion?

8. For fishermen: would wading in the water and fishing be appropriate in a drysuit, or is it impractical?

No. See #3 answer.

9. do you prefer one with booties or without?

Fabric booties, no question. Protect them while wearing, with water socks or shoes.

10. how handy is it to have the extra “urination port” zipper?

Priceless.

Glad
I am glad to hear I’m not the only one who needs help getting in and out of my drysuit. I always feel ridiculous twisting into this thing with friends holding the sleeves. Guarantees I never go paddling alone in the cold…

Ha.
Yeah, I’ve witnessed the dry suit shuffle and performed it once myself when donning an older loaner suit.

what I’m hoping to get out

– Last Updated: Aug-17-15 12:58 PM EST –

What I'm hoping to get out of a dry suit is something that I'm trying to clarify be finding the parameters of use for one. I'd like something to make paddling safe and comfortable. However, I don't do enough paddling relative to other water sports to justify the expenditure of $700 or so. If one can be used as an all-around protection suit for wading in rivers, surf, etc., then this changes things. At this point, I think that I'm probably leaning toward a wetsuit. Thanks for all the info.

Does sound like a wet suit
would be a good place to start, and you might want to get a splash top to go with it. Later if you decide to step up your game you can get a dry suit. I’ll mention once more though, if you decide to pursue the dry suit option there’s no reason you can’t get a perfectly good one $500.