2017 Spring Ozark Rendezvous Dates

Just over four weeks to Rendezvous.

The Buffalo River gauges looking very good today. It would be great if they are at these levels for us.

The USGS gauges a Ponca, Pruitt, Tyler Bend (listed as Near St. Joe on the USGS Buffalo River page), and Dillard’s Ferry near Buffalo Point (listed as Near Harriett on the USGS Buffalo River page) are all reporting moderate river levels as defined by the NPS floating recommendations for the Buffalo National River.

Here is a link to the USGS Buffalo River Floating Conditions web page. The triangles indicate the gauge locations with blue indicating low river levels, green moderate levels, yellow high levels, and red indicating flood stage. Just click on the appropriate triangle to display the stage in feet, discharge in cfs, NPS recommended floating levels, and the current conditions for that gauge.

https://ar.water.usgs.gov/buffaloriver/

Looks good NOW… Ozark as a gathering point again? I’ll be on the road Wednesday morning, with stops in Oregon and Iowa before arriving in the Ozarks, planned for May 1st. See ya’ll there.
Brad

ive never paddled the Buffalo and am hoping we have the rendezvous there, but regardless, it’s going to be great to see old friends again! Can’t wait for May!

Would love to paddle the Buffalo!

So for the time being at least. Ozark Campground is the Rendezvous place. It has a cooking pavilion. It does not have electricity. Its a steep gravel road in… just incase anyone is bringing a trailer( not too likely…we brought a small one last year) It is near Jasper for food and stuff.

With two weeks to go before the start of Rendezvous week Buffalo river levels are looking better than they were two weeks before last year’s Rendezvous on the Buffalo. Here are this morning’s gauge levels:

• Ponca is low at 279 csi (low range is 145-280csi), it has been in the moderate range for a week.

• Pruitt is moderate at 254csi (moderate range is 200-1000csi), it has been in the moderate range for a week.

• Grinders Ferry/Tyler Bend is moderate at 1180csi (moderate range is 200-3000csi), it has been in the moderate range for a week.

• Dillard’s Ferry/Buffalo Point is moderate a 1520csi (moderate range is 200-3000csi), it has been in the moderate range for a week.

The long range AccuWeather forecast (for what it’s worth this far in advance) for Ponca calls for showers or thunderstorms every day next week and none the following week except for a thunderstorm on Thursday, April 27th.

Right now I’m thinking the Buffalo is a go unless things really start to go downhill. Stay tuned for more updates.

Going to say it outloud and make it official. We will not be able to make Rendezvous this spring. The kids will be in testing that week, so no leaving early, and too far to drive for a Saturday only paddle. We will miss you guys! Hoping for just the right amount of water to make your week awesome and hope to see you in the fall. Ed&family

Sorry you can’t make it this year Ed. Going to miss you and your family. Hope the kids do well on their tests. Hope to see you and your family at the Fall Rendezvous on the Current River.

We’re on for base camping at Ozark National Park Service Campground on the Buffalo National River for this spring’s Ozark Rendezvous. “Official” first paddling day is Thursday May 4, but people may start showing up the weekend before. I plan to arrive during the afternoon of Tuesday May 2.

As of Wednesday afternoon April 19 river conditions are as follows

• Ponca is in the middle of the ample water for floating range with a reading on the gauge of 368cfs

• Pruitt is in the the ample water for floating range with a reading on the gauge of 335cfs

• Tyler Bend is in the middle of the ample water for floating range with a reading on the gauge of 1310cfs

• Dillard’s Ferry/Buffalo Point is in the middle of the ample water for floating range with a reading on the gauge of 1608cfs

As of this afternoon the long range AccuWeather forecast for Ponca calls for a chance of thunderstorms daily this Thursday April 20 through this Saturday April 22. Next week they call for a chance of thunderstorms daily from Thursday April 26 through Saturday April 29.

For the week of the Rendezvous they call for a chance of thunderstorms daily from Monday May 1 through Wednesday May 3 partly cloudy skies and temps in the mid 70’s through Saturday May 6 and periods of rain on Sunday May 7 the last “official” day of the Rendezvous.

Thanks for the update, vic.

Ed, I’m sorry to hear you and yours won’t be making it this time. Its great to have kids out there, getting the next generation of paddlers in on the fun.

I got a message from Anita yesterday and it seems she can’t make it this time either - a health issue, though I think she will be up working for BLM on Namekagon/St. Croix again this season, (and spending time manning a light house (!) on L. Superior toward the summer’s end.) so we should contact her if (when) we’re heading up that way.

Great to hear Brad will be making it again. You’re our all-time long-distance guy!

I’m getting some regular work and spending off time trying to get a used boat trailer modified for hauling canoes - so I won’t be real communicative for the next week or so.

It’ll be great to see and paddle with everyone again - seems like a long time.

Hi! Looks like a 4.5 hour drive for me, maybe slower with my kayak on my car…I work till 7 Thursday…so arriving late Thursday night…what time does the group put in usually on friday? Also…I was going to call the campground just to make sure…its ozark campground…hwy 7 north of jasper?

The campground does not have an office. However it is the one you are thinking of. The"group" makes different decisions as not all go to one place… When you get there make sure you hook up with someone for a shuttle.

Royalfan 1:

We’re base camping at Ozark National Park Service Campground, part of the Buffalo National River operated by the National Park Service. Here is a link to their website where you can find more information https://www.nps.gov/buff/index.htm

The Ozark NPS campground is located about 17 miles south of Harrison, AR on highway 7. Look for the turn off to the campground on the right just after hwy 7 crosses the Buffalo River.

We usually decide which stretch of river we will paddle and the shuttle departure time the night before the day we paddle. Depending upon the stretch of river, the shuttle usually leaves camp around 9:30 or 10:00 AM, but make sure to check on that the night before.

Each person is responsible for making their own shuttle arrangements and it’s best to do that the night before the paddle. The whole group usually paddles the same section of river, BUT THAT IS NOT ALWAYS NECESSARILY SO, make sure to check the night before. Also, a double check early on the morning of the shuttle is not a bad idea.

STOP THE RAIN DANCES FOR NOW!

At 1:00 AM CDT this morning (4-22-17) the Ponca gauge was at 11,606 cfs. At 10:45 AM CDT this morning (4-22-17) it was at 3,230 cfs. Flood stage at Ponca is 2,070 cfs.

Is the campground and river access accessible with a low-clearance Volkswagen New Beetle? It’s easy for me to hit and destroy the radiator.

Also, is it important to reserve the campsite, or is there a decent chance to get a site for a small tent without reservation?

The gravel road into the Ozark campground is rough, but taken slowly your Beetle should be alright for that one - but more challenging for some of the other sites. Take Vic’s comment about prearranging shuttles seriously … just ask and it will happen.

There is no reservation system for the campground, and last year we were essentially the only occupants all week - LOTS of space available.

See you there, Brad

Its a pretty big campground. Having a centrai covered kitchen pavilion is a godsend in case the river gods do NOT listen to Vic

BTW… whassa matter… last year not enough… now too much… But the group is always happy.

I prefer the river to be a little high, as opposed to a little low.
If it’s a little high; over time it will drop some.
If it’s low; you are playing "drag the boat.
I find that scenario frustrating, boring, and tiring.

Solution: Bring a recreational boat, and a whitewater boat.
Probably see 1 of the 2 boats pictured, and a Bell Wildfire, or Mohawk Odyssey.

P.S. Sure going to miss seeing & paddling with the Kentucky Armada.

BOB

greetings all. I’ve been bobing around for awhile but just found this forum.im a broke traveling paddler. just spent about a week in the ozarks but have been stuck on flat water as I am solo and havnt been able to set up shuttles.

this Rendezvous sounds like a blast! not sure I can make it as im in Virginia at the moment but I would like to come. what else do I need to know? is this a just show up and have a great time, or to I need to be a member of a club? is there a registration fee? anything else I need to know to get in on this fun?

I probably wouldn’t be able to be there the actual days of the event as im supposed to be in ohio that weekend and indiana the weekend before. but if there are enough folks that wouldnt mind a newcomer I might drive down for the week days before?

and who knows, I might stay all weekend. no such thing as a hard commitment if I have my boat in the back :slight_smile:

thanks
kenny

Bob, its weeks late to be making an alternative boat selection = the Sandpiper went on three weeks ago and I’m not going back to Alaska now to change boats. I, too, will miss the Kentucky Armada.

roadkill, the only rule is bring a boat and a smile (and your own sleeping accommodation) - and be willing to participate in shuttles and campfire conversation. My introduction to this rag-tag group was a simple “Join us!” - and I did.

Brad