43F water temp, no PFDs. Lake Michigan claims two more.

@Gs96c599@aol.com said:
Link me up with the 80 year old people on open water expeditions by them self.

Meade Gougeon. Only 78, so maybe he’s not old enough.

http://maineboats.com/blog/2017/meade-gougeon-once-again-finishes-first-grueling-everglades-challenge

Yup, have to agree with @Gs96c599@aol.com on this one. I picked out the same things (and more) from the article and was shaking my head the entire time. Age has very little to do with my negative assessment of the situation.

@kayamedic: Did you read the full article that you linked to? Assuming everything mentioned in the article is fact, it’s not difficult to pick out failures in preparation, knowledge and skill.

@dc9mm: One handed? Really? I mean, great skill to have for sure - and I hope to be there soon. But I’d have thought a solid roll on even just one side would be enough. Both sides even better - but are the conditions really such that it would be a detriment not to have a roll on the off side?

@Rookie said:

@Gs96c599@aol.com said:

http://maineboats.com/blog/2017/meade-gougeon-once-again-finishes-first-grueling-everglades-challenge

That is a 300 mile race not a trip from Maine to Texas. Water temps there are? He has outriggers and a sail and longer more stable boat I guess. He has done it 5 times before. He makes West Systems Epoxies so I doubt a stranger to boating.

@Gs96c599@aol.com said:

@Rookie said:

@Gs96c599@aol.com said:

That is a 300 mile race not a trip from Maine to Texas. Water temps there are? He has outriggers and a sail and longer more stable boat I guess. He has done it 5 times before. He makes West Systems Epoxies so I doubt a stranger to boating.

LOL, you asked to be linked to an 80-year-old who does open water expeditions solo so I gave you one, albeit a couple years younger.

@Rookie said:

@Gs96c599@aol.com said:

@Rookie said:

@Gs96c599@aol.com said:

LOL, you asked to be linked to an 80-year-old who does open water expeditions solo so I gave you one, albeit a couple years younger.

different boat guess you missed that. LOL Also missed the duration of the trip. Also missed he is not totally alone it is a event monitored with the CG controls and an organization . LOL Water temps you missed also. LOL One guy has a huge sail miss that? One is a race not an expedition. Can someone 80 paddle yes but odds are when you’re younger your chance of injury will be less on a long expedition.

Re Freya’s “Epic” failure: when was that? I know she had to replace the Epic once during her circumnavigation of Australia, but that was after a lot of miles during which, among other things, it had been bitten by a large shark. I didn’t follow her South American trip as closely so I didn’t hear if she had boat trouble on that one.

I did kind of wonder why she would choose to start as ambitious a trip as this latest in what is essentially a “beta” kayak model, even if it was a custom build. I have no doubt that she knows exactly what she wants in hull design, but having a composite fail just a few 100 miles into the trip is a pretty bad indication of build quality.

one of her previous trips she had the same problem with construction. I’ll see if I can remember or google it.

Really you cherry pick from a picture of a kayak in a motel room and assume thats the way it was loaded on the ocean… And Herb Pohl did some amazing paddling until HE was drowned some years ago. The mouth of the Michipicoten River can have funky currents and high standing waves depending on the release of OntarioHydro upriver. Why he did not have a PFD on is a big mystery howerver
http://dailynews.mcmaster.ca/article/in-memory-of-herb-pohl/

Sorry OOB is NOT Maine really… those waters are an area known to be warmer…

I think there are better things to do than argue with computer paddlers who know it all. Like go paddling… Its a gorgeous day …one of the first and last for a long time.

@kayamedic said:
I think there are better things to do than argue with computer paddlers who know it all. Like go paddling… Its a gorgeous day …one of the first and last for a long time.

Truer words have never been written!

Back to the question of Freya’s boat, here is blog entry for Day 36.

http://freyahoffmeister.com/north-america/na-sec-1-north/sat-2904-2017-day-36/

@kayamedic said:
Really you cherry pick from a picture of a kayak in a motel room and assume thats the way it was loaded on the ocean… And Herb Pohl did some amazing paddling until HE was drowned some years ago. The mouth of the Michipicoten River can have funky currents and high standing waves depending on the release of OntarioHydro upriver. Why he did not have a PFD on is a big mystery howerver
http://dailynews.mcmaster.ca/article/in-memory-of-herb-pohl/

Sorry OOB is NOT Maine really… those waters are an area known to be warmer…

I think there are better things to do than argue with computer paddlers who know it all. Like go paddling… Its a gorgeous day …one of the first and last for a long time

LOL did you read the article? Mullins said his kayak was too top heavy. That is why he could not right his kayak when it flipped. Nothing to do with a picture in a hotel room. Now if someone was going on an expedition and knew what the were doing they would load the kayak and try to roll or self rescue in it before a expedition. I have brought this up before looking at pictures I have seen on the net.

Link me up with the water temps in Maine for 45* in August if you don’t like the one I posted. You would also check a dam release if it affects water conditions just like they do in rivers.

It is a discussion of facts sorry you think it is an argument. He is over his ability for the trip like that.

@pikabike said:
Back to the question of Freya’s boat, here is blog entry for Day 36.

http://freyahoffmeister.com/north-america/na-sec-1-north/sat-2904-2017-day-36/

Blog proves the kayak construction is total JUNK.

Kind of like United Airlines recent promo we just saw.

Herb lost respect for the water just like the North Face owner did. I wear my jacket even when launching and removing kayaks from my floating docks to bulkhead. Many people slip off docks and hit their head and drown. Worse in colder water to fall in. No reason for no jacket and they can’t just fall off.

@kayamedic said:
and a non fatal capsize I do hope that he has a backup PLB or can put his trip on hold until the battery in the one he activated is replaced.

If it was an ACR they give you a brand new one if you legitimately activate yours.

Hard to believe that Freya’s boat builder screwed up the layup so badly. I wonder who she had do it?

Back in the 70’s my outing club had a couple of molds for Augsburger style whitewater kayaks (those old-school pointy 13 footers like the Olympic slalom boats). We would have building parties where we’d slap glass and resin with abandon, usually while getting drunk and stoned by the end of the evening. Yet we built some bombproof boats. Just 6 years ago I sold one we’d built in 1977, that had done countless class 3 to 5 trips on the Yough and Cheat… The hull was scratched to hell but still solid with no soft spots.

probably China where I think Point 65 is made. Sad something I would think of buying