5'1, 115 lbs inter/adv day touring/rec?

Tsunami SP?
http://www.backcountry.com/store/WIL0020/Wilderness-Systems-Tsunami-SP-Touring-Kayak.html

Haven’t seen one, numbers look promising.

Whitewater

– Last Updated: Apr-01-07 7:58 PM EST –

The situation is better in whitewater boats -- most now come in a range of sizes to match paddler weights for optimum performance. You can get a good whitewater boat for someone as light as 70 pounds.

On another note, being able to carry and load her boat by herself was a huge confidence booster for my wife. The Tchaika was her third boat but the first that fit her properly and that she could easily use without help. It made paddling much more fun for her.

Your paddle should be proportionate, too. At least a couple of companies have paddles with small-diameter shafts and smaller blades. A paddle that feels big and clunky will be frustrating.

You can buy custom Greenland-style paddles for less than the cost of many stock paddles.

And another DIY opton:
http://yostwerks.com/SeaPup00.html

Romany LV

– Last Updated: Apr-01-07 6:47 PM EST –

Dumb me I had forgotten about this one - extra small keyhole cockpit with much bettr thigh braces than are often found in sea kayaks, can be gotten in a lighter layup (just promise to be careful about the surf landings), rolls easier than most anything out there including most WW boats these days. Not a fast boat in a straigth line but does OK, but a good all-around boat for someone small enough and very manuverable.

As to paddling gear, anyone who can wear XS sizes can clean up at end of season sales via online presences for NRS and the like, and worth hunting EBay for the big stuff like drysuit. You will end up paying full price for a skirt though, and may have to do something custom from Snapdragon when you get to that part.

Necky Eliza
Also worth checking out, available in poly and fiberglass.

Tempest 165

– Last Updated: Apr-02-07 11:39 AM EST –

is too long for the poster's stated preference.
As is the Pintail. Nothing against either kayak. Just read what she wrote.

Oh, and some of us women LIKE to paddle alone, just as some of the men do, so we need kayaks we can handle by ourselves.

Thanks everyone!
Wow, such a big fast response! I’m trying to sort through all your recommendations and look at the manufacturers websites. I’ve got a lot of homework to do. Thanks for the advice on smaller widths not being tender for a little person with a low center of gravity. Looks like I can go even narrower than I had intended.

going narrow
Gael: that’s good advice.

Last year was my first half season, went from 28" rec kayak to 23" Tampico in a month, and in less than two months to a 20" seakayak (the North Shore Fuego). No problemas, not even a tiny adjustment, just went off and paddling. Everyone is a bit different (balance is part physical, part mental) but if you’ve got the right physique and center of gravity you’re already mentally one step ahead.

I’m keeping both the Tampico and the Fuego, no need for anything wider or longer. See the excellent faster kayak thread started by bowler on the Advice Board - a small person, even with good mechanics, can in fact be inhibited by a long kayak (which, to me, relative to my size, means 17 ft and over).

Good luck & let us know what you find.

Getting started

Thank you to everyone who helped me. I feel ready to tackle the test drives now. I contacted South Coast Kayaks out of Covington LA about lessons and hopefully their rental fleet is as impressive as their inventory (NDK and Valley). As for demos of other boats besides SOTs and the like, looks like I’m going to have to do some traveling.

have fun!
Another good source of information:

http://www.atlantickayaktours.com/Pages/ExpertCenter/Main-Expert-Center.shtml

Thank you everyone

– Last Updated: Apr-06-07 4:34 PM EST –

for all your help and suggestions. I've spent the past week going over every relevant post reading every review available. It wasn't easy but I've finally come to a decision and mail ordered my very first kayak, an episea from Blue Mountain Outfitters in Marysville PA. Mary from BMO says it should be here in a few days along with my sprayskirt and paddle (small with small diameter shaft).

I know mailorder isn't ideal, but the price was low and there simply wasn't anything nearby that would work. I intend to demo the next one, even if I have to go to England to try a newt. I was antsy to get off the computer and into the water. My instructor doesn't have an opening until the end of the month so hopefully I'll be able to practice a little on my own before I get in her Romany.

Thanks again, y'all made choosing a first boat and potential second boats a lot easier.

One more question. Since it only has an aft bulkhead does anyone have any tips on how to store and transport it safely? Thanks!

good for you!
Neat little boat.

One way of dealing with “tippiness” is to – not fight it. You’ll never keep it perfectly upright. Keep your hips loose, and let the boat move under you.

One good drill is to sit it the boat loosely holding the paddle horizontally just in front of your shoulders. Slowly rock the boat back and forth using your lower body while keeping the paddle level. As you get comfortable with that, you can rock further, or try holding it on one edge or the other.

Loose hips save ships!

J Cradles
You might have to get creative to figure out how to get it angled up there by yourself, but spend a little time with appropriate assistive gear like ropes and blankets and a short ladder to stand on and you’ll likely figure something out.

Plastic boats are strongest on their sides anyway, and transporting it on a J cradle (mounted on a roof rack of some sort) will leave it safer to crank down straps than carrying it on its hull.

(And get a float bag for the front if they don’t include it already.)

I Like The EpiSea…
however, you will need to install aftermarket thigh/knee braces to get really good contact needed for skills development. I slightly bigger than you and have sat in that boat. Would not be able to do much without thigh braces.

Talk to your outfitter and see if they have braces or give you a lead on getting a pair.

Congrats! That boat is long enough for some coastal stuff and short enough to manuever in easy flow rivers.

sing

Storing/transporting new boat
Gael wrote:

“One more question. Since it only has an aft bulkhead does anyone have any tips on how to store and transport it safely? Thanks!”

You will need a good float bag in the bow. I made the mistake of carrying a f/g boat on my roof with the float bag in and no cockpit cover. When I got to my destination the float bag had worked its way aft and was coming out of the boat. I do carry my skin-on-frame upside down with the float bags in, but the ribs seem to keep them from moving. If you have a way of tying the bag into the boat, it might stay put.

As far as storing boats, we have always hung our boats inside the garage in webbing straps; sideways, upside down, wherever they fit.

Have fun with your new boat.

-Nancy

QCC (the little one)
If you don’t mind spending the bucks.

It is 15’-3" long and 21" wide kevlar and weighs 43 pound.

My wife is 5’-2" and a few more pounds than you and wouldn’t swap it for anything.

Use it with a Snap Dragon skirt, and it will handle the roughest water you want to go in.

If you wnt to know more about it let me know and I’ll have her drop you an e-mail.

Cheers,

JackL

Gael THANK YOU :smiley:
for letting us know your choices in kayak and paddle.

Many times after so much advice is offered I like to see what people decide. Obviously after so much care and thought in choosing your kayak it’ll always be a special one.

Pls. stay w. the board and tell us how you’re doing :smiley: