5th Wheel Camper and hauling a Sea Kayak????

Like any product, there is a wide range of quality and performance. There are pretty lame cheap versions of inflatables and folders (that are flexible and slow) and there are well-designed, more costly, high quality ones that are sleek and fast.

The recently deceased Feathercraft made high-end inflatable and inflatable/folding hybrid touring kayak models like the Aironaut, Java and Gemini which were just as rigid and efficient as most hardshells. There are still manufacturers like Long Haul, Trak and Pakboat that make competent folders, and companies like Sea Eagle, Aire, Innova and Aquaglide make inflatables for everything from white water to touring. Fabric skin-on-frame folders have a paddling feel that is unique – I feel more connected to the water in one than in a hardshell and because the “give” in the hull absorbs rather than fights the force of waves, they are more comfortable and stable in choppy water than hard shells.

If I had to limit myself to only one kayak, it would be a folder, including for reasons beyond the storage and portability advantages.

@willowleaf said:
… And I don’t have the loss of gas mileage efficiency on long trips that you can get with hauling on roof racks.

Aerodynamic , pointy, kayaks on a full sized truck pulling a fifth wheel or travel trailer are not a mileage drainer. It’s the load behind. Gas mileage is same on my truck towing trailer with or without kayaks.

I find loading the hard shell kayaks on the truck is relatively quick. Even with the elevation. Travel trailer bumper hitch allows for a long radius rack spacing limiting the necessary line requirement to just two per kayak. It is the PFD, skirt, tow line, deck bag, cooler, spare paddle, the water bottles, the pump, the cockpit cover, changing shoes, the trip to the restroom, the questions about the wood boat and who built it that take all the time. They would likely be the same either way.

I have observed better gas mileage with two kayaks on the roof hauling my travel trailer than without them. Of course there are so many variables it’s hard to say with complete conviction. After 10 years of long road trips with a travel trailer, I believe the boats on the roof improve gas mileage about 10%. They break the air flow up before hitting the broad forehead of the travel trailer, perhaps lessening the resistance. Is 11.8 MPG better than 10.8? Yup, but it’s still a lot of fuel.

My results on hauling are roof rack only, no trailer, with a high mpg station wagon (i always log mileage efficiency on my road trips). Present vehicle gets around 35 mpg on highway w/o kayaks and around 32-33 with the boats on similar trips. Doubt it has much to do with their weight since my 5 boats range from 22 to 44 pounds. And when I am carrying the folders packed down the weight is the same.

There are other factors that need to be taken into account in comparing gas mileage with and without boats on the roof, or even trailered. In my experience, people tend to drive more slowly and accelerate more gradually when they are hauling stuff on the roof or by trailer. More conservative driving tends to lower gas consumption anyway.

@tjalmy said:
… Yup, but it’s still a lot of fuel.

If fuel economy was the only factor we’d be traveling with a CLC Teardrop pod behind the Honda.
http://www.clcboats.com/shop/boats/recreational-vehicles/clc-teardrop-trailer.html

Yes, Overstreet! We love our cabin on wheels despite the fuel consumption. With the kayaks, bicycles and dogs a teardrop trailer might be a bit tight! LOL! But I do fantasize about building one of those CLC teardrops. It would look awesome on a SportsRig trailer!