8,600 miles in a kayak in 265 days

I paddled my Tarpon 160 off the North Edisto in 20+ winds. The place is known for confused /washing machine conditions. The waves were 3’ from all directions. I have never paddled harder to go less distance. I pulled a groin muscle that took a couple of years to heal.
The boat had no problems but without thigh straps, I would have been in the water.
I wouldn’t intentionally do it again, but it was a lot of fun. The air and water were warm.

No paddling Lake Huron for the past couple of days. Instead she went swimming (water temp around 36F). Good advertising for Kokatat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ieu1n37z8sI

I really like the drone shots I see on the sailing forums I frequent. Haven’t pulled the trigger on one as they aren’t cheap, but love the perspective.

With the Iced in sections, why stop? SInce it was clear open water up until hitting the ice, why not turn around and paddle what you’ve done and know is open? Isnt this about “miles”? Just curious?

@paddletothesea said:
With the Iced in sections, why stop? SInce it was clear open water up until hitting the ice, why not turn around and paddle what you’ve done and know is open? Isnt this about “miles”? Just curious?

Not just about miles, but moving foward and ultimately getting to her destination by paddling all five Great Lakes, plus some. The ice moves around; we’ve had gale warnings and small craft advisories in the mix. I think today she’s halfway across Saginaw Bay (her SPOT quit). Once she gets across the bay, it’s clear until Cheboygan. That’s about 130 miles north. Coasties still cutting ice up here. Think there may be other issues involved as well since one of the meds she takes for her RA makes her nauseous, per her updates. Weather looks good for the next couple of days.

Update: http://www.michigansthumb.com/news/article/Huron-deputies-assist-kayaker-attempting-Great-11027663.php That was Friday. Apparently there was another rescue yesterday.

Second update: http://www.wnem.com/story/35010795/kayaker-trying-to-set-world-record-rescued-again

:

@TreeA10 said:
As a new guy to kayaking, I’ve been out in winds 20 gusting to 30 just for giggles to see what it would be like. I was on a large lake and didn’t stray too far from the shore. For you experienced folks, how much wind is too much before you decide that it is just too much work and wait for better conditions?
@Rookie said
I’ve learned that it depends on size of the lake, wind direction, and fetch. If it’s blowing 20-30mph on Lake Michigan, I stay off that water. It’s no fun having a wind gust bring your boat to a stop - or being nearly blown over sideways. I’ll instead paddle a nearby inland lake which is about 15 miles long. Doable at that wind speed, but still a lot of work even with a Greenland paddle.

It’s worse if the tide or current is running wrong and increasing or confusing the waves.

The Sheriffs Dept. has threatened to confiscate or set adrift her boat if they are dispatched again. (twice in 3 days) An attempt to keep her safe! Says volumes!

@Steveey said:
The Sheriffs Dept. has threatened to confiscate or set adrift her boat if they are dispatched again. (twice in 3 days) An attempt to keep her safe! Says volumes!

The first call was not made by Traci; it was made by her shore contacts who lost sight of her. That was not a rescue. The second call was made by her and she admits that the combination of fog and ice placed her in peril. She made an attempt, got beat back by the heavy ice that formed on Lake Huron in March, and I believe she plans to resume her trip once the ice has cleared.

What speaks volumes is the vituperative comments made by social media paddling “experts” on her site and on their personal sites.

I can’t speak to the issue of social media experts; but after reading the reports of having the Sheriff’s dept having to respond twice for whatever reasons, leads me to conclude that Traci and her crew are /where having troubles

@Steveey said:
I can’t speak to the issue of social media experts; but after reading the reports of having the Sheriff’s dept having to respond twice for whatever reasons, leads me to conclude that Traci and her crew are /where having troubles

I think the biggest problem was the ice development. Apparently she made a scouting trip in early March when we were having unusually warm weather. Then the other shoe dropped. I know that where I paddle on Lake Michigan, it was open water for much of the winter. Until March. Still lots of ice as of this afternoon.

A tough situation to be in as aside from the press coverage, not only are you dealing with your own expectations, but what you think your sponsors’ expectations are, perhaps all factors in the decision making.

Is the lake she started on the best choice for low amount of ice? Or the best area for low ice volume? From my understanding here crew is volunteer and probably a little over cautious. Iam assuming she has a VHF which is usually good for a least a few miles so I wonder how they lost contact? I also assume she has a SPOT which I thought you get gps locations sent to her crew? It doesn’t sound like this attempt is going well for her.

@dc9mm said:
Is the lake she started on the best choice for low amount of ice? Or the best area for low ice volume? From my understanding here crew is volunteer and probably a little over cautious. Iam assuming she has a VHF which is usually good for a least a few miles so I wonder how they lost contact? I also assume she has a SPOT which I thought you get gps locations sent to her crew? It doesn’t sound like this attempt is going well for her.

The ice moves around. While 99% of the Great Lakes ice is gone, Little Traverse Bay of Lake Michigan still has some ice cover. When I went by yesterday, the ice was on the Petoskey side of the bay. Wind direction changed and today it’s on the Harbor Springs side, blocking access.

I think fog was the problem when Traci’s crew lost sight of her. Not sure about a VHF - the SPOT she was using failed. Probably froze. She suspended the trip and restarted it yesterday, at the place she left off (carrying a new SPOT) - which I think was Grindstone City.

She had a great run today, crossing Saginaw Bay and stopping just north of Whitestone Point. That’s 20 miles of open water - and under a small craft advisory. Report was waves three to four feet.