97 Necky tornak to old?

Marshall
I haven’t been in to see him yet but he’s been helpful on the search. Doesn’t have anything I can afford right now but he pointed on this Tornak to me in another thread. I definitely want to get in on one of his skill building classes.

What’s with the qualifier?
P - Do I sense some bias? “Even though he is a retailer and sells new” and used, and consignment and a have a year round brick/mortar location and an ACA L4 Instructor and decided to make play and pay one letter apart some 17 years ago working for myself rather than a box. C’mon, I consider you the Kayaking West Coast Voice of Reason.

B - see you at the Tuesday Tune-Up or Monday Meetup Sessions.

See you on the water,

Marshall

The River Connection, Inc.

Hyde Park, NY

www.the-river-connection.com

fb.me/theriverconnection

Eskia
Way back when, I worked in a place that sold Necky of Yore. The Eskia was a good stable predictable sea kayak for the line backer build.

The back rest is lousy. Replace it with an IR Lounge Band or foam block.

The model on CL is missing the rudder but it looks like the cables are in place so switching it out with a new one wouldn’t be a big deal if you wish to add one.

Give the kayak a very good looking over. It appears that the HIN plate was cut away. I’m not sure why someone would cut away the HIN plate. Warranty issues would have been a proof of field destruction. Stolen at some point? A new section of polyethylene could be plastic welded into place. See YouTube for tutorials.

You mentioned a bulkhead out of place. Making a new one out of 4" thick mini cell foam is not tough. I have that in stock.

See you on the water,

Marshall

fb.me/theriverconnection

No offense intended

– Last Updated: May-14-16 12:54 AM EST –

Felt that because you are a retailer, I had to come out and make sure I said specifically that you are one. Not all retailers are as open minded about used boats as you seem. Haven't met you yet to know for sure. Maybe one day we will meet...

Ps - didn't know you sold used boats. Guess I would have if I visited your shop. My bad.

Too Old (nm)

Search continues
No go on the Tornak some oil canning on the bottom. Rutter was tough to move. Mostly the problem was the fit not enough room for my legs all well the search continues

Any news on the Eskia?
Did you visit the Eskia in person?

Stop in EMS Poughkeepsie and offer them $300 for one of their rental Tsunamis. Everything else at that joint is on sale. They might say yes.

See you on the water,

Marshall

Hyde Park, NY

fb.me/theriverconnection

In person
I did see it in person. I didn’t get a chance to sit in it because it started down pouring and I was nervous about that piece missing but that seems easy to fix now that pointed me in that direction he hasn’t gotten back to me if in still available but it was reposted to cl a few days ago. The rudder seemed like it would only need a blade the pedals and line were intact but I didn’t get to try it out. Now that you said the HID plate was missing and maybe it was stolen that makes me nervous too.

I’ll definitely stop by Ems and give it a try either today or tomorrow

I will endorse Marshall
I live about an hour away from his Hyde Park store and have taken several lessons from him. He is an expert paddler, patient instructor, and all-around, nice guy.

Until now, I’ve only bought gear from him as he sells higher end kayaks. That said, I am thinking about putting a few of my kayaks up for sale on CL. If I sell a few to make room, maybe I can convince my wife that buying ONE composite boat is a smart decision.

At the very least, I will be down to a reasonable number so I can transport them at the same time on my kayak trailer.

ABZ

never have bought anything from Marshall

– Last Updated: May-16-16 4:38 PM EST –

he's got to be one of the best resources in the forum, and if I lived in NY he'd have a customer.
What other retailer is going to give you the help he does?

Marshall also does mail-order
I just wish his online store would work for me. His prices have always been extremely fair, and as you said, he is the best resource

I’ve found since I started paddling.

I like to support retailers that benefit the sport. Imagine where we would all be if we had to shop at Dicks or Sports Authority.