A better bilge pump

Cool post a video I’d like to learn that.

I don’t have a way to take Videos but I’ll ask my friend Steve M to do it for me when we go out next time. He did a video of me doing a stock strip for gun refinishing we posted on Youtube some years ago, so I know he has the camera and the knowledge of how to do it.

1 Like

I just received my Lingo Pump and compared it to my old pump, an Aquabound Bilgemaster, current price about $50.

The Lingo pump moves a lot more water per stroke, and takes less force to pump. Since the stroke is shorter, it empties the water considerably faster and is less tiring to use. Impressive.

Plus now I can stow my pump behind my seat, which I prefer. I am happy, this was a good upgrade, from my perspective.

1 Like

I may have to get one. The new Tok kayak I ordered has a smaller cockpit and it may be hard to use a bailing bucket on that one when I get it.

1 Like

Tok kayak?

Yes, a Rebel Tok. I ordered one. It will get to me in the spring

Enjoy congratulations :clap::clap::clap:

I clicked on TOC when I looked but the NAJA comes up on Rebel site. Should be fast :grin:

Edit:

https://rebelkayaks.com/toc/

Nice what color did you get?

Yeah just last week Rebel revamped their web site and who ever did it got the links all screwed up They make 9 kayaks and 7 of the 9 are linking out of place. To see the Tok link click on the Mastif link.

I got all white with pine green deck panels and combing.

1 Like

Nice :+1::slightly_smiling_face:

@szihn

I’ve never had issue yet and in some pretty rough conditions in the Tsunami that I’ve “needed” the Spray Skirt.

Having said that I had one of the Race officials in 1940 ChrisCraft speed boat pull up next to me to take pictures, then floored it.

Based on how close he was and the wake he created in getting up to speed put some water into the boat. (About 2 gallons.) That required me to pull out the bilge pump because I didn’t like sitting in water.

@Jyak The 175 Ive never had issue with, the 145 on exceptionally rough days can have the water splash into the cockpit. not too badly though but still splash into the cockpit. Maybe a quart in a mile or so.

1 Like

Always wear your pfd (AND sprayskirt), you may never need it, but when you do, you won’t have time to put it on.

I’m not talking about SOTs, but for kayaks designed to have sprayskirts - always wear it. (same excuses as pfd - too hot, don’t need it, etc.)

I paddle the mostly calm St Johns river daily, always have the sprayskirt on.

2 Likes

You do that!

Doesn’t take that much water in the cockpit to affect the handling of a sea kayak. I tried it years ago and was shocked.

Never took in enough water to shock me.

I got to repeat use that Lingo pump during yesterdays rescue skills clinic and it looked like it was a fire hose next to the dribble put out by the run of the mill pumps. Who knew?!?!

1 Like

PFD yes spray skirt, why.

Lets examine the reasons.

1. Big Random wave water enters cockpit I don’t get dumped - Bilge pump ← solution.
  2. Big wave Water enters cockpit, I get dumped. - Fused Vertibre make rolling almost impossible now.

A: With Spray Skirt - I have to remove spray skirt, release bracing and loosen the seat and punch out. Spray Skirt Traps water making re-entry harder getting in the way, I reenter the boat, and get bilge pump and pump out cockpit.

B: without spray skirt - Release Bracing straps and losen seat and punch out. Easily re-enter boat get bilge pump and pump out cockpit.

the only time the spray skirt is a benefit is when in big water to keep said water out of the boat. This easily ascertainable before departing.

On a lake, no real benefit. in the bay no real benefit (unless out during hurricane.) In the ocean some benefit. even on a river that is class 0-1 there’s no real need. and on 2 and up I’m not taking my touring boat (which is what we are talking about in this context.)

So I disagree with you regarding needing sprayskirt all the time.

PFD that’s another story along with Paddle leash.

A big random wave is one thing. A succession of waves is another. You can’t always paddle into or with the waves to reduce water over-washing the deck to get to where you want to be. Conditions can always change. I’ve been out with people that didn’t wear a sprayskirt and their boats were becoming progressively filled with water from wave action making them unstable. Stopping paddling to pump out a boat makes boat less stable as well.

Another factor, if you are not paddling solo and need to help someone with an assisted rescue, your cockpit rim will often dip below the water potentially swamping you. If this happens you will often both be in the water.

1 Like

No objection to anyone using a spray skirt. I have one that has never been used if anyone wants to buy it. Tsunami is a rec boat doesn’t really need it.

Skirt means no drips, no bugs, no worries.

I guess that’s why some people use them.