A car for carrying canoes

Get a used Camry.
I have carried 2 boats many times.

Yep, tie-rod ends, trannies, alignment.
After three, I’ve learned what to keep up with, but, bottom line, for the purposes I need a car and the cost per mile of ownership (insurance and taxes, too!), they’ve been pretty good. Almost worth all the crap I get about driving my mom’s car!

And, hey, let’s be honest. I never really expected a lot from these cars, so I’ve never really been disappointed.

How practical of you
Hey, as long as so many folks do so much more than their share to keep the auto industry going, there’s room for a few of us to buck the trend and save our money!

Rain gutters & station wagons
are the answers. Unfortunately rain gutters cannot be found on modern cars and it seems that whenever a reasonably sized station wagon is produced the designers immediately set to work making it bigger, taller and heavier (witness the Outback).

I’m currently using a couple of old Volvo station wagons that serve me well. The one is a 1995 940 wagon and the other a 2004 V70. The older one has roof gutters and can carry bars spread more than 6 feet apart. The newer one has permanently mounted fore and aft rails (Euro rails) which will carry Thule cross bars at about a 5 foot spread. Both of the roofs are just at shoulder height making loading and unloading safe and easy. With the rear seats folded down both will easily hold all the stuff that that goes with an outing.

The 940 is getting “long in the tooth” and I am going to miss it a lot when it is gone. It is a big boxy wagon with just the right roof height, lots of space and acceptable performance and economy. If I could buy a new one I would. A used V70, or XC70 if you want AWD, is perhaps the best replacement for the old “brick” Volvos.

Peter

I vote for mini-vans, and have had a
couple of them with factory installed roof racks that work great for canoes.

They have more versatility overall, and with a 6 you can pull a popup camper or utility trailer along with the canoe on top of the mini-van.

My vote
My vote for an economical to buy and drive canoe car is a Ford Focus wagon. Unfortunatly,they were discontinued in 2007,but many seem to have been bought by old people who don’t drive much so there are low millage cream puffs out there. You should be able to find one for about $10,000. They are reliable,American,have a long flat roof,and have a lot of interior volume.(I just bought one!)

Turtle

This thread really should have ended
back on the 20th with Mr. Canoehead’s post, but I couldn’t resist. My apology to all.

since we’re all spending the OP’s money
…I vote for this one:

http://www.zcars.com.au/images/audi-rs6-avant12.jpg

not realistic, but …
this is http://goo.gl/X7EtR

(Mercedes E63 AMG wagon)

Why can’t there be a Santa?

– Last Updated: Dec-22-11 2:43 PM EST –

I've been such a good boy for so long!

If I left either of those at the put-in, I wouldn't be able to enjoy my paddle.

I hear your idea of "spacing"but you’ll
be surprised, the original VW Beetle’s spacing, granted, with rain gutters, could hangle an 18’+ tandem wood/canvas with ease. As long as the thwart-to-bar tie is solid and bow/stern tips ties are solid…stabilizing from wandering, one can get away with surprisingly short spacing in the middle. It really helps…if you can find something indeed…with some space, but it won’t kill your trips…

$.01

Perfect for Mr. Salt
Where I live and paddle, salt water will always be a problem, especially new cars. If there is a tiny hairline crack, Mr. Salt will find it. No matter how well I wash down the car, after removing kayaks and canoes, Mr. Salt loves to attack the metal beneath the seals of sun roofs, windshields and rear windows.

mercedes has an answer

– Last Updated: Dec-23-11 10:27 AM EST –

Actually, many makes use galvanized steel, aluminum and composites. Porsche have done so for years.

How many rusty 911s do you see? Not too many.