a fresh look @ QC

Pressure Test
Just out of curiousity, how would one pressure test a kayaks bulkheads in a shop?

Not being rhetorical, its a legit question!

I posted
a thread a while back. do a search. think it was called ‘searching for compartment leaks’ or something like that.

steve

Nothing…
Searched all messages for “compartment leak” and other permutations and got nothing.

Easy
Check the name on the side of the boat…if it is Wilderness Systems, then there is a good chance it leaks :wink:

Here you go
http://www.paddling.net/message/showThread.html?fid=advice&tid=594026

I brought my own flash light
the first time.

Brought a flash light and scale the second time.

Maybe next time: flash light, scale, foot pump, and spray bottle of soapy water :-).

I chose the smiley icon carefully. I’m not winking so I’m not kidding. I don’t want to go in with an anal attitude, either. I want a good relationship with the shop. I just tell them the truth, that I like to understand what I’m buying.

Paul S.

Couple reasons I put up with it.

– Last Updated: Jan-27-07 2:37 AM EST –

On my first boat, T180, I got a discount.

On my second boat, T170, I only paid up $200 after trade in of the 180. I had used the 180 hard as a beginner, for 6 months. (They did this as an investment in the future, that I'll feel so well taken care of that I'll come back the next time I want to buy a new boat. I do, and I probably will. I think they also needed a T180 in their rental fleet.)

So in both cases, while the shop is very much a full service shop, and I believe would make it right, I'm not really wanting to use their full service capabilities on something I can handle. I want to stay low profile. I want them to know that if they do sell to me at a discount, I'm in and out and gone, unless I have a serious problem. They won't incur a cost making the little or little-medium things right. That's actually not the model they like. But it's the model I like. And I'm the customer. (The subject of market reality is probably another topic.)

Now for the manufacturer; I want them to have good quality, period. Otherwise me or the shop has to pay for it. Or maybe the shop gets compensated by the manufacturer for repairs done by the shop, I don't know. Anyone know?

The person who said we should feed back to the manufacturer, information on the defects we encounter, had a very good point I think. The times I've fed back information or questions through the WS customer service number, or the web site, I've never gotten any reply. I've always gotten a reply from Steve though.

The second reason I put up with defects is that, while I'd rather not have them, there is some pay back to me in experience and in getting to know my boat, when I do my own repairs. Being an enthusiast, that's appealing to me. This is related to the reason I don't want to use or pay for some of the services of a full service shop. I'd rather get the experience myself.

Paul S.

thanks Paul! NM

good post
yep… shops that service our boats (and most manufacturers) get compensated if it’s a big issue. we want them to fix what’s wrong and we’ll take care of 'em.

Back in the day there was one overseas supplier who didn’t believe in this system. I went ahead and repaired a employees boat w/o authorization and the owner actually accused me of mocking up the repair to look like they were building bad boats…as if! yeah I’m going to fake a repair in nasty, itchy f/g just to hose him?

good dealers take care of the issues. good customers like paul and dennis, might even take care of the minor ones themselves. it’s all about owning a boat.

and yes in a perfect world there would be NO issues. you don’t think that would make ME happy? and the stockholders?

The feedback, good and bad, is very valuable. it keeps everyone on their toes.

steve

This method…
This assumes that the deck fittings are drilled through the boat.

Any high quality sea kayak (whether composite or poly) should have molded in deck fittings that screw into brass inserts…this reduces a chance for leakage and prevents dry bags and gear from getting snagged on screw heads in the hatches.

easy then
just get a piece of vis queen or plastic garbage bag and bungie and use it as hatch cover, poke a hole through the plastic just big enough for a pump fitting and pump air in this way.

steve