a good whitewater canoe

Moderate Whitewater
One or two others have touched on what I am thinking about this. First off, what do you mean by “moderate whitewater”? In my part of the country a lot of people would think that means Class II with occasional brief Class III. Lots of people use canoes of 14 to 15 feet with 2 to 3 inches of rocker for camping trips on such rivers and do just fine. The Mad River Freedom (formerly the “Guide”) is popular for that sort of work, and if I remember correctly it has 3 inches of rocker at each end.

If “moderate whitewater” means pretty constant Class III and the need for a fully bagged boat, that 5- or 6-inch rocker recommendation might be pretty realistic, but I bet you could still do quite well with less.

The point I’m getting at is that this is a question for which the answer isn’t necessarily definite, especially based on the information you’ve provided so far. There’s probably lots of room for variation in what will work even if your needs were very specifically stated. If you like the boat you have, maybe get something similar. If you wish it could turn a little better, look for a more nimble design, but you may want to be careful about getting something that’s TOO nimble if you don’t need a pure playboat or if you often need to cross stretches of flatwater.

That’s the same
meaning I give to “moderate whitewater.” lot’s of cl. 2, areas of 3, an occasional 2’ dropoff, which is fun as long as there’s enough water. My son and I paddle a 15’ dagger, which handles the water,has maybe 2 or 3" rocker. We can horse this canoe around because it’s small. Main issue is we get pretty wet. The swift has more volume, hence a dryer ride, also turns easier due to rocker. Personally I think the all around bell yellowstone, swift dumoine, the rockered old towns would suffice quite well.

Experienced several of these
I’ve paddled the Old Town Penobscot, Swift Dumoine, and Esquif Canyon - all on the Spencer Rips to The Forks stretch of the Dead, solo at levels up to 3400 - a familiar run for many in the Northeast. Also my old, Old Town Tripper, some years ago.

I no longer consider the Tripper as a potential solo canoe. Too big, too old a design - see my comments in my review of the Swift Dumoine. It wasn’t designed for that purpose, anyway.

The Penobscot is the fastest of these four - but very wet in serious whitewater - even when paddled solo.

I consider the Dumoine to be the best general purpose canoe of the lot. Competent in whitewater, but with design compromises that make it suitable for lakes and general tripping. I think it has the most thoroughly thought out design of the four. It is my choice for tripping that involves serious whitewater as well as long stretches of lakes and flat. It works well paddled tandem or solo.

The Canyon is usable on the flats but its a gas in whitewater. You will find yourself trying moves that you think are unlikely - and pulling them off elegantly. As a tandem whitewater boat I’ve never paddled anything better - its just more work on the flats.

I’d love to try the Esquif Prospecteur - just not yet had the chance.

Hope that is helpful.

given your size…
go for larger than a 16 footer. there are many between 16 and 17 that would work well. heavily rockered is the Starburst from Evergreen, but it is very ww oriented. Nova Craft’s 16 Prospector is on the large side, very full. Trailhead makes a nice Prospector in 17 feet. Unless you are quite devoted to ww play, 5 inches of rocker may be more of a hinderance than benefit, and hard to find, except for the Starburst.

Nova Craft
The Supernova isn’t 16’ long but it will haul all the gear you need with no problem. It will also carry that gear in up to CIII stuff, that’s what it was designed to do.