A question for flatpick...

go ahead
me thinks it would be hard to identify the ‘project’ I was working on in GA! :slight_smile: and btw- it got cancelled BUT sparked yet another. It’s all in the brand name at this point!

'nough said.

steve

what
you are not going to make a T-12, a T-11 and a T-10???

oh yeah
we build high temp composite proto-type molds that can roto mold 10-20 boats. this sets the stage for the aluminum cast molds which cost a bunch and produce lots of boats, each one taking a tiny bit of the mold quality with it. as the mold is used it wears out. many things contribute to this degradation and eventually it’s ‘retired’. sometimes the ‘design’ is retired before the mold, sometimes we build a new mold to keep a design going. Generally this invites an update/ re-issue.

Having a SOTA R/D team and facility (CAD programs and designers, CNC machine, R/D oven) makes this process quite fun and exciting…and then comes the testing.

what I do best…:slight_smile:

steve

steve

you know
how many Tsunamis we have?

=:-0)

steve

Whew
That’s a relief. Gonna buy a composite T165 one of these days, I like the plastic one so much! I was reluctant to do gel coat maintenance, but now that I’ve been “trained” on a wood boat, somehow the prospect doesn’t seem bad anymore.

"gel coat maintenance 101"
1. wash boat on occasion

2. slathering of wax every year or so

3. gutter repair tape (field repair)

4. glop on some Marine tex (rough repair)

5. gel coat repair (brystorm or equiv)if needed

heck I paddle ‘em in all stages of repair and it don’t REALLY matter.

go composite and you’ll never go back (except for rock gardening!)

so you guys thinking of headin’ west sometime soon? (hint, hint)

:wink:

steve

Sent you an e-mail last month
I may have sent it to the wrong address, though. Let me know if I need to re-send it somewhere else.

Yeah, for '07, we’re looking for some kind of “edu”-focused vaca. On the ocean. The “bloat” part is OK, and I sure do want my kayak to float, but I also wanna p a d d l e p a d d l e p a d d l e !!! It’s not just the mechanics of paddling, either; there is so much under “seamanship” that I need to learn to do the kind of trip I’m dreaming of.

Dont kill the mold!!!
NOOOO !!! NOOOO!! Don’t kill the mold!!

170 fits me!
I just stopped by the local shop and sat in a new plastic 170. It fits me perfectly! I’m so excited. First I’m gonna rent the T170 for a day to make sure. Then I’m gonna engineer a swap pronto.

Thanks for staring this thread Pamlico.

Paul S.

Thanks Steve
Those aluminum molds probably bring in more recycling $$$ than a whole truckload of empty cans!

Jim

You can recognize
the prototype boats Flatpick is working on quite easily. Just like the Detroit big three, WS hides their developmental boats under layers of black vinyl upholstery material covering everything but the cockpit. Makes evaluating the hull’s qualities a bit difficult, but keeps the appearance a secret until the August show.

Jim

same
it’s based on poundage!

it’s amazing seeing the ‘recycle’ containers from a big manufacturer. heck there’s lots of stuff in there I could re-use.

steve (pack-rat since the '50’s)

awesome!
congrads Paul. great to see someone ‘healthfully’ change their life to the point that they need a new boat!

it’s nice having a smaller bod, eh? less to pack around.

=:-0)

steve

naw…
it’s easier just living out here on the ‘edge of the world’ where few paddlers venture. especially in the winter!

steve