A RELIABLE VHF radio unit?

You stole my question! :slight_smile:
Which one is better?

Which has best audio quality?
On the specs and on recommendations on P.net, Icom seems very good. There’s some good back posts on the subject, too.

The only question I have regarding Icom vs Uniden or Standar Horizon is on audio, volume and clarity.

Oddly, the few VHF radios I’ve seen on people I’ve paddled with have not been Icom. They’ve been Uniden or Standard Horizon, I think. Definitely not Icom. Maybe the paddlers have owned them since before Icom gained reputation. I don’t know.

Anyway, the volume and sound quality was great on the non-Icom ones I’ve listened too. Haven’t got to listen to Icom though.

I listened to some at West Marine before and none of them were impressive, I think because of reception problems inside the building.

So which are easiest to hear with wind whistling through your scull cap and waves crashing around you (which is probably the case when you need it.)? Even more important in a mayday situation, which send the clearest audio signal (best microphone) under the same conditions? As I recall, the Icom M72 has the highest transmission power, 6 watts versus the usual 5. Don’t know about speaker and microphone quality though.

Paul

Aquapac

– Last Updated: Jul-18-07 12:10 AM EST –

Aquapacs are popular here. Sound seems to carry through them well. Don't know about their bulk compared to the hand made ones, but I'm sure you're generally right. I have seen some people fit the Aquapac in their PFD pockets.

I'd be tempted to try the M72 without a dry pack, given it has the quake water purge for the speaker. Hate to pay for such a nifty feature and not use it ;-).

Paul

Good Points
I believe many often do not consider those features which have high user value. For example: volume and clarity on both transmit and receive is very important, ease of programming radio for most common tasks like monitoring for weather alerts, how well the microphone keeps out extraneous background noise and how well it handles voice at angles, how easy the knobs and buttons are to use with cold or gloved hands are all really critical to how well the radio actually functions. Is the radio rated submersible if the battery pack is off? Is the battery pack rated submersible by itself?

The difference between 5 W and 6W is undetectable in terms of reception at the other end as a practical matter. However, there are relatively large differences between radios in terms of sensitivity and that can be important. Some radios have features that will never be used by paddlers such as the ability to be programmed for commercial use for land mobile freq. and some can listen on a wide range of freq. Features which may actually compromise the radio for specific marine use. It does not matter how much power you have or how sensitive the radio is if the antenna is junk and all of these radios have inefficient/poor antennas with some worse than others.

Size, shape, brand are all personal preferences as each brand makes some good radios and some not so good radios, The trick is to look at the specs if you know what the specs mean, read the manuals by grabbing them online, and play with them before you buy. And remember there are variances in performance among the same radios too.

I have seen one highly regarded radio not even be able to get a readible signal from a distant WX station while one of the less expensive and less regarded radios in the same location get a perfectly readible signal. So don’t think because you buy an expensive Icom or Standrd you are getting the best radio. Maybe, maybe not.

Icom vs Uniden
People on this board seem to agree that the Icom is slightly better than the Uniden. So I ordered an Icom from West Marine, and realized that it was just a little bit bulkier & heavier than the Uniden–but enough so that it wouldn’t easily fit in my pfd. I figured the very good vhf you carry on you is always better than the excellent vhf sitting on the counter at home, so I exchanged the icom for the uniden.

Hello, About your Uniden.
Can you tell me a bit more about yours?

What model, how long have you had it, have you used it, happy with it? how much? :slight_smile:

Rique

Which Icom?
I had the Uniden Voyager (was OK - but buttons are tiny and vol/squelch in same stalk are less than ideal and will freeze up from salt spray. To it’s credit it held up fine and had no problems for almost 4 years until the antenna rusted out and it would no longer take a charge. New antenna and battery pack and it would still be fine.

I now have an Icom M72. It is DEFINITELY an upgrade in all respects.

Besides being louder, more powerful, longer battery life, more waterproof, and louder - it’s barely larger at all - easier to operate (larger buttons, better controls, bigger screen) - and fits hand better than any competing model.

I’d give the nod to M72 over even the popular and proven M88. The M88 may be a little shorter - but is also fatter. Easier to drop/fumble and thicker profile in pocket or worn exposed means it’s more in the way.

I vote M72 over M88 - see my post below

You certainly endorse the M72
I’d give the nod to M72 over even the popular and proven M88. The M88 may be a little shorter - but is also fatter. Easier to drop/fumble and thicker profile in pocket or worn exposed means it’s more in the way.

OK, great info. I got it in terms of size, but in terms of FEATURES, I wonder how they compare. I mean, are they just identical?.. The M88 is more expensive… so it must have 'more?

Not More… Just Stuff

– Last Updated: Jul-18-07 2:05 PM EST –

The M88 does not have more features of use to a paddler than the 72. It does have the ability to be programmed for use as a commercial land mobile radio. I'm sure the added expense of it having that feature is really worth it to you. Right? Also, the 88 is not MILSPECed for waterproofness which the 72 is. All in all, except for form factor differences (which is a personal preference) the 72 is a better radio for paddlers over the 88...in my opinion...others would disagree no doubt...just comparing Icom radios here.

The user manuals for all these radios from the major makers are online and if you want to know about features and specs, you need to download and read them. For normal use, they are fungible regarding features although some make some things easier. For example, the Voyager is the easiest to use in terms of accessing things like weather alerts and tri-watching , etc.

FWIW
LiON batteries only last around 3 years max.regardless of use and care so the one on Voyager did well. One thing to check is their cost as replacement batteries for some brands are 2 to 3x the cost for other brands. You can get replacement antennas from Uniden for around $8. The Voyager has the shortcomings you mentioned. Otherwise it is a relatively bulletproof radio.

The rest of the M72/M88 story…
M88 is a bit more physically rugged (as in MILSPEC) - but I don’t need that as much as I need the higher waterproof rating, extra power, speaker purge function, slimmer profile, better hand fit,…

Last time I went through this VHF comparison exercise (last fall/winter) brand choice was a no brainer. Only question from there was M88 or M72. The M34 wasn’t quite out yet (floating would have made it a contender too - but I’d tether anyway - so greater size and less substantial feature set would have knocked it back out contention anyway). I don’t think you could go wrong with any of the three - but for me the M72 was clearly the better choice.

Features of M72 seem made for kayakers - and comparing both in my hand it was the clear winner for me (see more on size comparisons below - M88 really isn’t smaller).

FYI - I wasn’t buying on price. I did when I got the Uniden a few years ago. I ended up getting the M72 now for what I paid for Voyager then - maybe less as West Marine had some crazy holiday coupons/promotions going on). Pricing is close enough on all these submersible handhelds that I would make that the least important consideration anyway - particularly on a safety item.

I take it along almost every paddle (like it’s not even there in MsFIT pocket) - and it usually gets wet - often including many rolls - in salt water. I typically have it turned off while paddling (but do check it and turn on/off before and after each paddle - and sometimes to check WX)- so can’t verify battery life other than to note that the standby life is insane. I have not recharged it ONCE and it STILL has a full charge 7 months later…

Here’s the scoop on size:

Dimensions (not counting antennas*)

M88 - 62×97×39mm

M72 - 52.5×125×30mm**

M34 - 62×141.5×43mm

$8?
Where are you seeing a Voyager battery pack for $8? Uninden is selling for $60 (backordered) and best I’ve seen online have been around $45.

I may still replace my Voyager’s battery and antenna as that would be a pretty cheap way to have a backup available for a few years.

I see on their website the Voyager is on the third/last page of their Marine Electronics. Seems their pushing the MHS350/450/550 units now. They remind me of Standard Horizon units. See that SH has added new units too.

Standard Horizon HX270S
Excellent audio quality, multi-battery usage,

everything you could need in a compact unit.

Antenna is $8
Should have been more clear.

BTW, the 72 meets the same MILSPECS as the 88 and meets the waterproof spec too.

SIMPLY BRILLIANT argument in defense
… of the accused… errr… well the radio rather!

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury… I declare the M72 the winner!.. I am sold on it! :slight_smile:

You may all leave the chambers now… I want to talk to Greyak in private.

Man you know your stuff!.. I appreciate your help in choosing this important item. Depending on price I might even get it from the same Marina you got it from… no promisses though :slight_smile:

I can see you use it all the time… and you said you do the “roll?”… well, I hope I will learn it this winter :slight_smile:

THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR FANTASTIC FEEDBACK!!!

rinsing the contacts
After having 3 ICOM M88 and one Standard Horizon fail on me, I have taken to removing the battery and rinsing the inside and drying the whole thing after each use. Also watch the contact points on the unit that charge - if in a salt environment, they are likely to corrode - keep them clean and rinsed.

I must admit that I am now keeping my radio in the day hatch except for the times I am in more challenging conditions in which case I keep in my pocket or in the Cetus front hatch when paddling it.

Suz

Thanks for the good info.
I think the top three makes/models have come out in this thread.

Icom M72 (or M88 if you want land band)

Standard Horizon HX270s (looks like a nice radio for $85!)

Uniden Voyager

Greyak, thanks for the size numbers for the Icoms.

I’d like to get up to West Marine to look these three over. I think it’s between the M72 and the HX270S, for me.

Real tempting to go with the 270s at $90 after shipping. SH claims 3 yr no hassle warranty. Comes with an AA battery tray, too. If I add an Aquapac it will probably last well. If I don’t like it after a year, sell it for $40, or give it to someone who doesn’t yet have one, or keep it as a backup. I haven’t checked out size or owners manual or feel of buttons, yet.

Thanks again,

Paul

Another Radio
Also take a look at the Standard HX500S.

Its a nice rig too.

I have both the HX 270S and the M72
and have had failures from both. The Standard was always bagged, but bags fail without warning. The M72 usually sits in my pfd pocket without a bag. I roll and get pounded by surf with it.

After 15 months, the Icom failed but was replaced y West Marine with no questions asked. The Standard has failed several times, and now the battery is finally dead. Cost is too high to replace the battery, so I’ll use it with alkalines for a back-up.