ABS

Thermoform
When we looked at the stiffness of the thermoform layups considering our own boats, especially for a boat like the Xcite (or Alaw) with a relatively flat underside to the hull, we felt the performance wasn’t there to justify the price level.

If a thermoform boat could be sold at a price significantly below that of the glass equivalent, to offset the performance loss (perhaps somewhere just above normal rotomoulded boats), then people may feel the compromise is justified.

Technology can of course move along, but at this present moment we don’t feel Tiderace boats should lose the performance our current glass layups provide.

It is also worth noting that the Alaw was not put to thermoform with the knowledge of Aled Williams (the boat’s designer) and I will leave it to him to offer his personal opinion on the choice of hull design to choose for the thermoform construction method.

Not an expert, but not surprised there
were problems.

It’s tough stuff…
I’ve got two Hurricane boats and have been quite pleased with the durability as compared to poly boats (couple of those too). I’ve banged rocks, gravel, stumps, and expected gashes but instead found no trace of impact. I think the reason you don’t see ABS in whitewater boats is the fact that ABS boats are two part hulls. Separation on impact might be an issue.