Accesorizing My New Merlin II

try
gene Jenkos site, www.jjpaddles.com or google it. They have a great tuturial on paddling.

Grade VI
is a brand name of gear that has thwart bags, kneeling pads, etc. The company was purchased by Superior Packs a few years ago and the product is still available through select shops, and I believe directly. Excellent (though pricey) products, especially the pads.

www.superiorpacks.com

ditto on kneel and switch
I kneel to paddle part of the time too. It gives the muscles a bit of a break to be in a slightly different position. Kneel-and-switch works just as well for me as sit-and-switch.

paddles for you
I would not suggest buyinga beavertail hoping for more speed or efficiency…buy one for mellowness and enjoyment going slow and freestyle or whatever.

For your height a 50 inch bent shaft just has to fit well. Some might argue shorter is even better. 51 would be longest to consider. 52 is perfect for me and I’m 6"1" and 51 also works great for me and some woyuld try to argue me shorter. 50 can’t be wrong for you.

I like “mini-beavertails” because then they can be short and you can still swing a light paddle like a bent shaft for sit (kneel) and switch. Best of all worlds. If you look at the Zaveral (www.zre.com) straight shaft BLADE - it’s a wonderful perfect minio-beavertial - gently sloping from top to bottom and side to side. It’s fast and smoooth and silent in the water, Yum. If you are brave you can order a paddle without the handle glued in and shorten it with a hacksaw 1/2 inch at a time (it’s easy) until it’s perfect and glue in the handle. Or - order a 54 inch straight shaft Zav. and be delighted. My shortest straight paddle is a 55 inch Zav. 54 will fit you. The balde is short so the paddle can be short. You can get either Zav’s “light” or “heavy” lay-ups - does not matter. Both are light. These are way strong paddles and I have done many full power upstream hits on rocks and then are hard to even nick. So my take for you is - just get one paddle - a straight Zav. You will be amazed. I’ll bet that your straight shaft Mitchell with T-grip is a great whitewater paddle, but a brick…about 3 times the weight of a Zav.

For a beavertail I’d suggest a poplar 57 inch Shaw and Tenney. Poplar is light and soft. The 57 would be a bullseye for you.

Or - Ron Sell at Unadilla Boatworks is listed in the latest Canoe Buyers Guide and he makes wonderful light cedar paddles with tough edges - both straight (including mini-beavertail - I have two), and bent.

I’m getting close
It appears I will be purchasing two paddles. My experience on the lake the other day convinced me that I want as much speed as possible in those circumstances, so with your information I think I’ve narrowed my search down to a 50" bent shaft. Probably a medium to smallish blade. I figure I can use some of my old white water straight shafts on the few occasions I might be taking the Merlin down class II. I’d rather get multiple paddles that excell in their designed- for element rather than one that tries to do it all. Within reason of course and within reason at this time means the purchase of no more that two paddles (see my wife). My fear in spending all my paddle allowance on one high-end mini-beavertail would be that it didn’t excell in either of the two paddling issues I’m trying to address (speed across long stretches and freestyle). I’d like to dabble with freestyle and leisurely paddling so I’m inclined to go with a full beavertail for my second (of my to be purchased paddles) paddle. How does the Shaw and Tenney compare with the Nashwaak I’ve heard so much about?

Camp Classic
I just came across a Salin’s (Canoe & Kayak, August 2001)review of Bent Shaft paddles. He raves about the Camp Classic. Any thoughts on this paddle for filling my speed paddle niche?

Camp Classic
Nice paddle, excellent price. I prefer the Camp Microlight because I feel like I get just a touch more speed out of it, but the Classic is also a very nice paddle. In fact, I bought them after reading the review you mentioned. The shop I bought them from had started carrying them after reading the review. The Camp’s are my favorite of the three brands of wooden bent shafts that we have (also have Mitchell Leader and Bending Branches something-or-other). I normally take a ZRE and a Camp when I’m just doing lake paddling. They hit the muscles a bit differently, so when I start tiring with one, I switch to the other.

You also asked about straight shaft paddles. I haven’t used a Shaw and Tenney canoe paddle, but I’ve used their long double blade and it was absolutely beautiful. If that is any indication of the quality of the rest of their work, it should be very good. I have a couple of Grey Owls that are very nicely made. The big difference between them and the Nashwaak is that my Grey Owls don’t flex at all. They both slice very nicely and are great to use for traditional-style paddling. If I remember correctly, Arkay said Kettlewell paddles are really nice. I’ve paddled with him and he is very discriminating when it comes to woodwork. If he gives them a thumbs up, that’s good enough for me.

Hummm. I guess that’s another long answer to a short question. Never say anything in a couple of words if you can figure a way to drag it out forever :slight_smile:

Dave

self-confessed paddle junkie

Big Blade?
Looking at the Camp Classic specs I’m a little concerned about it’s size. Any chance that it’s size might wear me out over a long distance? I wouldn’t be trying to set a marathon race type pace just a nice quick rythem over a long haul. Is this why you like the Camp Microlight Model? FYI I’ve ruled out Zavs just because for that price I want a paddle that looks good too. I just don’t like it’s looks. It may sound stupid, but I’d like a paddle that kinda matches my boat. Since it is a composite with wood trim I want either a wood or a wood/composite paddle.

wood fan here
i have a zre carbon blade. it’s nice and light, but it doesn’t have the flex of wood. it tends to put a little more pressure on my shoulder joints. i currently paddle mostly with a 52-inch double-bend. it’s a great paddle, although i’d like to get a sawyer manta or maybe a bending branches viper. either would probably be at 50 inches. i paddle a rob roy, BTW, with a wenonah sliding bucket seat.

size and endurance
I don’t think the Classic will wear you out any more than any other paddle. The Microlight has a slightly more solid bite - I don’t know for sure, but think it probably has something to do with the blade shape - so it actually takes a little bit more out of you than the Classic. The Microlight can be tucked in just a hair closer to the boat as well, or at least that is my impression. If I get a chance this evening, I’ll take a photo of the two of them and post it so that you can see the difference.

photos are up
Okay, I have three photos on webshots. You’ll see that the microlight is slightly wider at the tip and the classic is slightly wider at the shoulders. The powerface on the microlight has a dihedral while the powerface on the classic is flat.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/133354146/265462374nSAshO

http://community.webshots.com/photo/265464267/265464267OcMoHT

http://community.webshots.com/photo/265471199/265471199EyoAQn

BTW, while you are looking, you might want to take a look at the Mitchells. I think they have a pretty good reputation, but I’ve never used one.

http://www.mitchellpaddles.com/

C2g Follow-up Questions
Thanks for the pictures and great info. I like to keep my paddle as vertical as possible and don’t want to be scraping my pretty new boat with the paddle, so the Microlight sounds like it might be a little better fit. Is the shaft and grip identical to the Classic? I noticed on my paddle this past weekend that the Sawyer paddle I was using would scrape the side of the boat. I want some flex in my beavertail so the Grey Owl probably won’t do. Any idea how much flex the Shaw and Tenny might have?

partial answer
The shaft and grip on my two Camps are identical.

I’m not sure about the flex on the Shaw and Tenneys. You might consider having them send you a catalog, then talking to them if you have follow-up questions about specific paddles. They are pretty fast in responding to catalog requests, so you wouldn’t have to wait very long.

Maybe Grey Owl freestyle
The Grey Owl freestyle has always had a great reputation for being a fine paddle at the $100 price point if you want a wood paddle. A 56 should be a bullseye for you. The blade is kind of big but it’s a fine blade…tapered and slick in the water. Big blades don’t have to tire you out…just don’t push as hard. Most Freestyles are quite light for wood paddles. Camp paddles are nice and light but may not be as smooth or quiet in the water…they are more flat-bladed…not rounded. A Shaw and Tenney is likely to be quieter/smoother than the Nashwaak and many of the Nashwaaks are quite heavy.

sns speed
wait 'til you get a 50-inch bent shaft and you’ll really see the merlin fly. it’s just night and day between a straight shaft as far as speed on open water goes. sounds like you’re on the right track.

It’s a Foxworth Microlight!
I pulled the trigger and ordered the Foxworth (formerly Camp) Microlight - 50", large grip. Unfortunately, the large grip model is not in, so the paddle will not ship for two weeks. Whaaa! Thanks to all who guided me in the decision making. It came down to what I thought was the best bang for the buck on a wooden bent shaft.

Now I will focus on getting the other paddle - for leisure/freestyle paddling. I’m waiting on the Shaw and Tenney catalog to get more information on their paddles. The Grey Owl Chieftain intrigues me. Hey, all things being equal it’s black walnut so it should match my thwarts! Anyone want to comment on what might set the Chieftain apart? I guess I’m leaning to more of the traditional designs. So many choices! I’d welcome any more insight regarding this next paddle decision.

Oh, yes, I have a 58" Werner White Water Rec paddle. The shaft is plastic. Does anyone know if it’s possible to shorten this paddle by cutting out about 4" and somehow re-attaching the grip?

changing paddle length
I’d give it a try. Call the maker and see what they recommend. As for traditional paddles, it seems that Grey Owl is right up there at the top. good luck with the merlin, and all the paddles.

Kettlewell
Kettlewell Paddles ARE really nice. I have 2 of them (a Ray’s Special and a Modified Ottertail). The word is he’s retiring soon (although last I talked to him he’s just ‘slowing down a bit’ So get’em while you can!

http://www.kettlewellpaddles.com