Access to public waterways - denied

private ownership
Laws havn’t been challenged in states that allow private ownership of waterways huh? Guess again.

Bill H.

google earth
I did a google earth look at that waterway and it looks alot like they have chemical spill dams in place. Perhaps only when the pix was taken, though might be permanant. Will likely change the situation. If this is the case though the issue then would be with the EPA and not with the company.

Bill H.

This comes up a lot
on fishing forums.In NJ public access is allowed up to the high tide line. However, that doesn’t stop private owners from bullying anyone they see fit to target.

That, that canal is tidal you have every right to be there. I’ve seen bass boats back there almost everytime i’ve crossed the RT 295 bridge over the canal.

However, being right and being free are two different things. As has been demonstrated time and time again in NJ once the police become involved your rights are likely to go out with the tide. The police, either ignorant of the law, or siding with the land owner order the fisherman/boater/beach goer to leave. Sometimes the police are overbaring and ticket or arrest the “trespasser.” Regardless of how far it goes and later vindication in court the day is ruined.

The most egredious case is the Diamond Beach south of Wildwood Crest. These people have lost all the way up to the supreme court of NJ and are still using the police to throw people off “Their” beach. The same scenerio plays itself out daily on Jersey’s beaches. Many towns limit access through the use of parking laws.

So, in the end it may be your right to be there, but you will never win if they want you gone. Unless you are looking for a fight Better to find someplace else to paddle.

Homeland Security - International Ports
Something else to consider are the recent requirements imposed on industrial complexes by the Dept. of Homeland Security for international ports. Surprisingly enough, this is an issue in Michigan where the waterways leading into the Great Lakes carrying ships from across the globe qualify them as international. This ratchets up security requirements big-time for compliance by our industrial rust belt base.

It sounds like your situation may apply, though other posters have brought up good points about man-made waterways that you should consider as well.

I would recommend that you contact your local USCG station for a true answer rather than relying on subjective opinions at a web forum.