Accuracy of Weight ratings on kayaks

Ouch
Sorry to hear about your pain and suffering, really glad that you can enjoy kayaking.

Lots of generalizations here - getting into a sink can be performed pretty much the same way as getting in a sot - straddle, sit on the back deck close to opening, lift one leg in, other, slide in. Getting out - reverse of the above, alternatively lift one leg out, then the other. At this point you would be in the seat, legs straddling the kayak. Then transfer both legs to one side, rotate in the seat to face that side, lean forward, boat leans to the side, you stand up on your feet (if you reverse this, you will get into a boat). Trying it in shallow and warm water is a hoot!

Self rescue - just too wordy :slight_smile:

There are programs for paddlers with limitations - http://www.adaptivepaddling.org/, http://www.americancanoe.org/?page=Courses_Adaptive. Those folks are really good at coming up with different ways for folks to paddle. I am quite sure they would love to hear your story!

Thanks Suiram
I’ll look into those programs.

I used to kayak a lot when I was younger. And, I’ve been trying this for a few months with the help of friends that paddle regularly. I’m just ready to get a good boat of my own and ditch this inflatable (And stop borrowing my friends boats!). Right now, I’m most comfortable on the sit on top. Now, the SinK’s do help with the balance disorder because you sit so much lower and that lowers the center of gravity.

But, I tend to go paddling alone, a LOT… Why do you think my friends boats are usually available to borrow? Anyway, I’m just not that comfortable (mentally) with the SinK’s to venture out on my own in them. I feel safer on the Sit On Tops. But, like I said, MAYBE, once I’ve lost more weight I’ll look into a SinK with a larger cockpit opening for my next boat.

My Thoughts
When I was 300 lbs I paddled kayaks rated at 300 lbs but when I moved up to a slightly longer kayak at a 350 lbs rating the experience was a lot more enjoyable, even just for mellow lake trips. You probably won’t sink it at the limit – it may make the ride wet and a bit slower. If you just want to paddle mellow lakes then you should be fine. You do want to test if you can get back in the kayak when you are in deeper water. I have friends who are consider themselves active and fit but are probably really just average, that really struggled getting back on SUPs and SOTs in deep water.

You might want to check out the Perception Tribe 13.5 Tandem. It has a 500 lbs weight limit and is $650. I frequently see it for $550 on sale. It has 2 seats and spots for 3. Just move the seat to the middle for a solo paddle. Seems like REI and EMS carry this kayak.

The Perception Sport Rambler 13.5 looks like a cheaper version of the Tribe, might even be an older version of the Tribe but i didn’t think the Tribe was that old. It sells for $450 and supposed to be at Dick’s but ours up here never have them.

I have never tried either kayak but seems to be in your specs.

The Perception Sport Pescador seems to be an older version of the Tarpon. The Tarpon always seems to be a popular and well regarded SOT.

Perception Sport Pescador 12
That’s actually one of the ones I’m looking at.

I’m kicking myself for letting that $1,100 Tarpon 140 for $350 slip through my hands!!! UGH!!!

Wow!
You’ve lost 115 pounds and still losing. Congratulations—that can’t have been easy with pain and limited range of motion.

I don’t know the answer to your question, but it would seem logical that if you get a boat that’s rated for 300 or 325, it should do okay now and even better as you reach your goal of 225 or less.

Happy paddling!

i do feel that the weight rating is a
low ballpark estimate probably for liability issues. My buddy has recently purchased a cheap entry level kayak that is rated at 225lbs. He on the other hand is pushing 270lbs. I never thought about it until we put in to the river. he had serious tracking issues but that was more to do with the design of the yak (chin) and lack of experience. Congrats on shedding the weight man! Keep it up and keep paddling.