Adding a fitness kayak - what kind?

short and stubby
I used to train with an Aquaterra Keowee. Paddling that thing 14 miles three times a week helped me lose a lot of weight and gain a lot of strength fast. Regrettably I sold that “fitness boat” and it shows.

You get resistance training and a cardio workout. I dont get the concept of fast boat giving you the best training but training in short squat boats can help get you ready to move a narrow long boat to hull speed. Less fit people just cannot do that.

Tiderace Pace 18 and Rockpool Taran
I would go for either of these boats before opting for the KayakPro models if you want higher build quality and speed. I also paddle a Rapier 20 that it is more tender (stability)than the previous two boats and tougher to handle in waves/conditions.

Lots of talk about skis - and I agree they are fast and light. However, they are a very WET ride - and when temps drop you are more exposed to wind/water.

That said - a stable ski for warm temps and fast kayak for colder temps might work. You can find used skis/kayaks pretty cheap in the winter months so who knows, maybe used prices will help.

adrenalin and fitness
The garmin says I am going fast at 8mph in the mohican. Such an adrenalin rush. Too narrow and you need to focus too much on balance. EFT by west side boats at 33# won the 90 miler. Fast and stable. Going slow is slow and discouraging

Slow Cadence Upwind
I would think that if you used a paddle with a significantly lower surface area going into the wind your heart rate would go up. Faster cadence = higher heart rate.

No Keyhole…!
But it would be faster than anything you’ve got now and a rolling machine like you wouldn’t believe… : )

Cheers…

Bill

dammit

You’re Right!
Been testing out a few of my old small “kid” size bent shaft canoe paddles this past week, and I got to say, going up wind was a breeze. My old joints and whatever muscles I got left, loved it - no pain. With the small blade and short shaft, I could really whip the canoe up wind at double the cadence. Returning back downwind was fast without any missed rides with the blade churning smoothly and effortlessly at triple the cadence. Actually, had to reduce the cadence from triple to double in order to better read the water.

For Downwind…
consider switching to your ‘regular’ paddle with more surface area.

fitness paddling blog
You are welcome to check my fitness paddling blog:

http://race.fit2paddle.com/

I have a few fast kayaks in my paddling fleet.

Sorry, I’m Spoiled
For it is much easier to jump on waves and make connections using the smaller blade. After all, they pack a bigger wallop than larger blades.

thanks
I’ve been stalking your blog for a while now. Gets me excited about races. I’m thinking about a 340 run next year as well.

Ryan L.

Choice of boats
I began my kayaking adventures at age 50 with a Dagger Zydeco, which I now refer to as “the brick”. Which is what it paddles like, now that I know better. 3 seasons ago I upgraded to a Think Fit. 20"wide, 17’ long 27lbs. Easy to load, fast, fun to paddle. The Fit is raced regularly,don’t often win, but I don’t often finish last. Long mileage workouts are a blast in this boat. I also, recently, bought an epic V8. Surfs like a dream and gives a great workout as well. Good luck in your choice.

fat boat - fit boat
I’ve lost over 60lbs paddling my short and wide inflatable kayaks. I’ve never understood why the long, fast and narrow kayaks are considered ‘fitness’ kayaks, unless they mean you must be very fit to paddle them.

Cadence and heart rate

– Last Updated: Nov-28-11 10:14 AM EST –

Not quite. The heart has a brain calling the shots. Try doing some slow squats and your heart will start to accelerate fast. The need for oxygen is governed by need not speed. Generally if you move fast, yes, your heart will speed up - compared to moving slow. In bicycle use, it's wiser to use lower gears because moving faster and easier uses less oxygen than working hard in higher gears. It all boils down to oxygen need.

Pace 18 vx Taran
Here’s a video from a downwinder yesterday where we had the Taran & pace head to head. Both excellent downwind sea kayaks.

Mark

http://expeditionkayaks.blogspot.com.au/2012/09/rockpool-taran-vs-tiderace-pace-18.html