Adding pockets to a PDF

RIBZ Front pack…
http://www.ribzwear.com/

Back Pocket
Here is one that Kokatat sells, designed to go on their vests, but may fit other brands. It’s not something you can get into on the water, however, unless you are a contortionist.

http://www.kokatat.com/product_detail.asp?code=rpp

Alan

When your sorry ass…
needs to be rescued I wonder if you still will think that

They can stick to rescuing and stay
out of screwing up the consumer product market. I’ll bet no REAL coastguardsman wanted to screw around with PFDs when he could be doing something meaningful.

Another solution
Instead of altering your PFD why not get some shorts/pants that have pockets that you velcro close or snap close? I’ve got some quick dry shorts and a quick dry shirt that have pockets that snap or have velcro closures. Something else to think about is if you have a fancy electronic car key you don’t want to risk it getting wet. I always carry a non electronic key with me when I got kayaking.

Limits to clothing pockets
Objects in shirt pockets can be uncomfortable when you have PFD on over them. The same is true of objects in pants pockets if you have a close-fitting cockpit.

I love pockets
Kokatat sells a strap on large back pocket (which I carry my tow rig).

Years back I went to Wallmart (or any camping store) and they sell all kinds of little pouches with velcro flaps. I just contact cemented them on my old Extrasport vest back then. To me pockets are more important than keeping you afloat. If I go down, I want to drown with my power bars, radio, hand compass, knife, extra whistle, and sunscreen all in nice little pockets.

Do add pocket to PFD
Lots of ocean kayakers do this, add something needed to their PFD. My key is on a leash inside a zip pocket. I attach a whistle to the PFD shoulder strap with a caribiner. The band of my watch goes through a lash tab.

Ignore the looney teabagger types ranting about the Coast Guard. Coasties are truly the good guys, they care very much about your safety. They will be glad to see you wearing your PFD, they always wear theirs. If you have improved your PFD, they will not hassle you. If you have damaged your PFD, you may hear from them.