"Advanced Boat"

That one sounds fun! NM

confused
First of all, I feel safe in my Pungo but even if I don’t loose a pound sooner or later I’m going to want something faster and something I could take out into Lake Michigan perhaps…

However I do not wish to make a fool of myself a second time, so I keep reading posts and reviews and wondering what kayak is next. I wouldn’t want to lose much stability because I’m unstable enough already with one bad knee and too much body weight and my own lack of confidence. The more I read the more I think that sometime next year I should try to demo and Eddyline nighthawk 17.5 but I am open to other suggestions.

No boat is “capable”.
I’m not arguing. My initial thinking was how aspiring paddlers are often intimidated by boats that they hear referred to as advanced, and are cowed into thinking that if a boat is not difficult, it is not a real boat.

The thursday evening skills sessions in which I assist are open to all paddlers. I’ve discovered that many think that the boats of most of those helping others learn (mostly Brit boats like Avocets, Romanys, Explorers, etc) are advanced and therby difficult boats. This is why I used the example of the woman I was working with last week.

I am not intending ‘demanding’ to have negative connotations. My Aquanaut is more demanding in some ways than my Romany, but it is my favorite boat.

While an expert paddler can paddle just about any kayak in any conditions, such a paddler is more likely to choose a boat designed to handle the conditions in which he will be paddling - i.e. a boat readily ‘capable’ of performing well in said conditions without extraordinary effort.

One mans intimidation factor …
… drives another’s curiosity.

The intimidated thing is all personality and preconception driven. Sort of like the “snob” discussions.

I know what you’re saying - and certainly not arguing either - but that can be easy to get past if there is any real interest. All tools take time to master, some take a different level of commitment. Everything’s not for everyone.

Maybe the difference is simply that “advanced” boats offer little or nothing in the way of instant gratification, and being humbled is not to many people’s liking. Play now pay later is more popular than the reverse.

Strand Storm boat
Is over at Sweetwater. I will be going to get it soon as I plan to take it up to Delmareva…Yep…I am gong if at all possible.

Kris…let me know when you want to try it out.

Paul

SOF to OI to ??
I agree with Schizo that the Strand boat is ridiculously easy to roll and to balance brace in. However, there was a learning curve and I haven’t reached the end of it yet. I can hand roll on either side now (layback only) but I am working on getting some sort of forward finishing roll…coming close with a reverse sweep on strong side and chest scull on either but am working with an avataq to just come up and down and up and down to accustom the body to lean forward. As I said, I haven’t done everything I want to do with the Strand boat and it will always be a great trainer. Now I am trying to transfer some of those skills to the OI and am obviously meeting with a larger learning curve as the boat is so different. Normal rolls like a standard, behind the head, shotgun, butterfly are not an issue. However, it is tougher to do balance braces in etc.

They are both advanced boats in my opinion and I agree with lots of the opinions posted here that the paddler is paramount. but I wonder if you could truly call a boat “advanced” even though it is a sea kayak if it impedes your abilities to progress? Depends on your skill goals I guess. As said before…circular argument

Paul

Cool
Forgot is was floating around. let me know when you get it. My shoulder still isn’t right, but can’t baby it forever and will start some short paddling again soon.

I’d really like to do Delmarva. Seems like a LONG way to go to paddle! Every year I think about it, and it passes. By the time I know if I’ll have and and be able to get time off it will be full.

Don’t Be…
you got a boat already. There ain’t a rush to upgrade. Take your time and visit outfitters and symposiums to try different boats. The “right one” will speak to you.

All the banter about this or that can be “confusing.” Just realize that we are just trying to kill time in between actual paddling. :slight_smile:

sing

An interesting wondering…
I am a beginner paddler, at least by my criteria given the journey I am on with an interest in greenland paddling technique. And, I suspect this will be a lifelong journey.

B.B…you noted: ‘I wonder if you could truly call a boat “advanced” even though it is a sea kayak if it impedes your abilities to progress?’ How do you define progress? It seems that there are ‘different boats for different strokes’…right? I would think a Peter Strand rolling boat would be designed to take you different places than Jay Babina’s Outer Island, and vice versa. Perhaps you may be placing expectations upon yourself that are not realistic, in terms of the types of rolls that are ‘doable’ in the OI. Jay’s OI tracks beautifully, is fast, and rolls better than most.

I belong to the same paddling club as Jay Babina(www.connyak.org), and have gone to a few pool sessions where he was there with his sng ‘rolling’ or ‘cheater’ boat. He was using it to learn more advanced rolls. I suspect that for the great majority of folks, that although it rolls beautifully, the OI is simply not an advanced rolling boat.

I am finishing up a sof, and will likely build Bjorn Thommasson’s Black Pearl next. I am building this ‘Advanced’ boat for two reasons, one, it is too beautiful a design to NOT build…and two…to use it for my rolling journey. Should be real fun the first time I paddle it!

(http://www.thomassondesign.com/edoc/eblackpearl.php )

My reason for writing this posting, is that I have followed your rolling journey for many months. At least from my perspective, you have made extraordinary progress. Other than Dubside ( www.dubside.net ) who can roll an aircraft carrier, perhaps you are being too hard on yourself and the OI…or not?

My .02…

Bob

Singalong
I too consider myself a beginning kayaker on a long and wonderful journey. I know I am caustic sometimes but my sense of wonderment hasn’t faded. I appreciate what you said about Jay Babina and his “cheater s and g” I wonder though if in the learning process, by using a cheater boat such as his s and g or the Strand boat in my case, that we develop and refine the techniques with a faster success curve, increasing motivation and setting neuron paths that with a little adjustment can transfer to any other boat that has enough physical characteristics to allow the same types of movements. A high backed rec boat would not apply here…(but maybe yes?)

The black pearl is a beautiful boat. I hope it does everything you want. I really like the looks of the Hunter and I know that Greyak likes the Njord a lot. Maybe someday.

I am working on a Yost SOF but will have to redo the forms as I did not do the curved portions and it will be just too hard to do them now as the rest is already cut out…learning experience. Maybe a traditional one after that but the way I am going…that may not happen anytime soon. Just not a builder I guess or don’t have enough of the right motivation. I think Sing said it best…we are just taking up time between paddles…or something like that.

thanks for your post. I needed some encouragement today.

Paul

I’m considering it too
I’m trying to figure out a way to go to Delmarva this year as well so maybe I’ll have a chance to meet you Paul.

take your time
short for you is 15 miles! Maybe you should consider 3 or 4 first time out?

Paul

That would be great.
I’ll get you to mentor me a bit…God knows I could use some!

Maybe I will talk Kris into coming up also.

Paul

BrazilBrasil…
Hey…no problema! Your enthusiasm about sof’s…rolling…the OI has been great to follow. Yup…Sing says it well…

Enjoy…

Bob

trying to kill time
"…just trying to kill time in between actual paddling."

YUP!

how about 5?
That at least gets me GE park and back. Anything less seems - like a demo day test paddle somewhere. More time gathering up and putting away gear than paddling. It’s that laziness thing…

Can I join you?
My shoulder not much better but I paddled 2 weeks ago for a total of 5 miles and was ok, even my PT told me to get back in the water as long as I don’t abuse it.

I’m thinking Saturday AM from GE for an easy “back in action”.

Got to be back for the game but that’s at 3PM, plenty of time :wink:

Saturday may work
GE is good as I’ll have to stay close and paddle out from my place as I may not have my car back - so no rack. Less overhead lifting is probably wise anyway!

this sucks
I work on Saturday…can you guys consider Sunday?

Paul

of course I do feel a slight chill coming on…

No Sunday for me
Family obligations will keep me out of the water on Sunday.

I’ll be at GE on Sat around 9, if you guys can make it…