Advertising

@kfbrady said:
I feel the same way. If the ads were targeted accurately - i.e. towards paddle sports - I wouldn’t mind them.

It also bugs me that the code to track and analyze all this stuff is running stealthily on my PC totally without my permission.

A pleasant surprise is how fast sites load now that auto-play video and all that other garbage is suppressed. Quite an amazing difference on this old computer with an outdated OS and only 2 gigs of RAM at my office.

Supposedly Chrome will begin blocking ads on its own starting tomorrow. Will see how that plays out before adding any extensions on my home PC.

A little more targeting, for the WW crowd:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-2SYOZII24
nice moves, I think he’s ready for Class 4

I didn’t find a solution yet for Chrome on Android. I’m considering trying AdBlock Browser, as I have yet to find a plugin for Chrome.

No problems on my Windows 10 laptop with Firefox. I just use the AdBlock plugin.

@Sparky961 said:
I didn’t find a solution yet for Chrome on Android. I’m considering trying AdBlock Browser, as I have yet to find a plugin for Chrome.

No problems on my Windows 10 laptop with Firefox. I just use the AdBlock plugin.

Firefox is available on Android. Wonder if that would work better for you than Chrome.

No ads on my home PC - and I don’t have an ad blocker extension installed on Chrome. My iPad, well, at least the ads are more interesting. No Arab ladies offering their services, just a big ad for a HUBLOT MP-05 LaFerarri 905.VX.0001.RX for a mere $325,000 bucks. I thought it was a car, then discovered it’s a watch.

I wonder if it’s waterproof.

I’ve been seeing something about a yacht. It’s big, annoying, takes forever to load, and completely ineffective.

But I suppose it’s more related, being a boat.

I was surprised that I couldn’t find an easy couple-click solution. Chrome is usually good like that. I haven’t had much time to fiddle with such things these days as I’ve been nursing a new job for the past couple weeks.

@Rookie said:
Firefox is available on Android. Wonder if that would work better for you than Chrome.

Thanks for pointing that out. I recall switching from Firefox to Chrome on my phone a while back, but I have no idea why.

I’ve since installed Firefox + AdBlockPlus and the difference is extreme. Now I have to go through and re-bookmark sites, set up passwords, and all that BS.

If ever I get a popup here saying “We see that you’re using an ad blocker. Please disable it to continue using this site”, then I’m gone and never looking back.

I’m resurrecting this thread to share a better solution that I’ve found. I have a feeling someone may have mentioned this as a potential solution here or elsewhere but I haven’t found the suggestion in order to credit the source.

VPN with blocking features for ads, malware, and other undesirables. I’m not qualified to comment on which VPN is best (and the playing field is HUGE), but I suggest that with the free ones you’ll “get what you’ve paid for”.

I can now run my preferred browser on my phone and have a nice clean experience. In theory I could do away with AdBlock on my real computer too, but I doubt it’s a bottleneck for speed so isn’t hurting anything. I’ve tried disabling it and the same elements are blocked with VPN filtering or AdBlock.

(YELLING, as if to some deity in the heavens) IF YOU GUYS CAN HEAR ME AT PADDLING.COM, I WOULDN’T HAVE GONE TO EXTREMES TO AVOID YOUR INTRUSIVE ADS IF YOU HAD KEPT THEM OUT OF THE WAY AND QUICK TO LOAD! You content is good though, so I can once again use your site without frustration. Thank you for that.