Advice for Beginner in Puget Sound

the goal is not to scare people away

– Last Updated: Jan-22-15 11:35 AM EST –

Rack: used +/- $150 with foam pads. He has a mazda 3 which is one of the most common cars on the planet. Why here's a Thule fit kit for the Mazda 3 on Ebay for under $50:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/THULE-FIT-KIT-2135-FITS-MAZDA-3-5DR-HB-MAZDA-6-4-5DR-SEDAN-HATCHBACK-/251800847858?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3aa08005f2&vxp=mtr

Towers @ $65:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thule-400XT-Aero-Foot-Pack-Bike-Roof-Rack-400-XT-480-Traverse-/321644201210?pt=US_Car_Truck_Racks&hash=item4ae37d04fa

Plenty of bars for sale on Ebay.

Used kayak: $2k tops (yes, that's a light boat)

Drysuit, if you must: $500 used tops. Sometimes budget dictates acceptable conditions and safety clothing.

I'm not sure seadart is the guy to whom you should go making blanket statements about wetsuits.

thanks

– Last Updated: Jan-22-15 11:53 AM EST –

Hi all,

Thanks for your replies as most of them have been helpful for me. I will definitely be taking some kayaking courses, already found a local, well respected place (one of you mentioned it) and I'll be doing at least 3 of their courses including a self rescue course.

As far as what kayak to get, I'll probably have an okay idea and I'll ask the guy when I get done with the training.

I remember when I asked what "real bike" I should buy last year, I amazingly got similar responses of " oh you need to pay $4,000 to get a real bike" but I ended up getting one new for $400 and it has done an awesome job for me. I'm not spending $4k on a kayak... I am 24 and have other things I can do with money like that.

super deals are rare, but do happen

– Last Updated: Jan-22-15 12:43 PM EST –

If eager, after your lessons, you can purchase an adequate kayak to scratch the itch. As time goes on, your idea of what boat you really need/want will evolve. That process continues forever. You can then lie in wait on Craigslist until a super deal comes along.

My own buying sequence is informative. My first purchase was a demo Seaward Endeavor from the factory at ~$2000. I've traded and purchased various boats since. The most recent was a kevlar Boreal Design Ellesmere for ~$1300. It is the perfect kayak for me ... at this point in time.

You will notice that many experienced kayakers have multiple kayaks - at an expense most never envisioned at the start. Some even have their original (incredibly patient and generous) spouses.

1 Like

Unsolicited Advice

– Last Updated: Jan-22-15 1:47 PM EST –

I just saw where you are 24 and just getting into seakayaking. I think you will find even in the Pacific Northwest seakayaking is an old folks past time. You will find very few folks your own age participating in the sport and the adrenaline level is pretty low, and the cost to participate is pretty high. One of my sons graduated from Evergreen State and is now in Portland so I have made many trips up to the Seatle Portland area. There is a lot of flat water paddling, but from your screen name, I get the feeling that you might actually want to get into coastal paddling. Learn skills from the seakayaking class and then you might want to look into surfkayaking, waveskiing, or rock garden play. Lot's of groups who participate in that near Pugent Sound but most of it happens on the coast. Look into boats like the Jackson Karma that you can use to play in the coastal waters. There is a lot of coastal paddling going on with younger folks, and not the group that posts here, most are well past 50.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1aLHlwerkE&list=tDLRBQGvjWdpWQMU5XoYRhpUfT-7ySkR&index=1&feature=plcp

http://jacksonkayak.com/blog/2014/08/08/karma-rg-at-work-and-play/

look up neptune rangers on youtube ...a california group, I have run into a similar group in Oregon ... will try to find their contact info. There is also a similar group that paddles near La Push.

Unsolicited Response
I’m 31 (older than OP but not decrepit) and quite love flat water paddling in Puget Sound! I take a bit of umbrage at the insinuation that you have to be old to enjoy it. There’s a lot to be said for just taking in natural beauty. Not everything has to be a roller coaster.

For the OP - there’s wiggle room as to your first kayak, but the big emphasis should be on your skills and your gear. That water is cold. COLD. Were you planning on paddling alone? If so, drysuit is a necessity. Skills too - don’t skimp. Take lessons, build confidence. Re-entry, rolling, bracing, turning - even if you think you’ll be on flat water most of the time - if you get caught in a current, if a boat comes by too fast and close, if a transient orca decides to give you a nudge lol - you never know when you’ll find yourself getting wet.

Odd
I’ve never heard the term “sea kayaking” defined as synonymous with “flatwater paddling” and exclusive of surfing, rock gardening and “coastal paddling.” Seems like a fairly specious distinction to me.

Likewise the attempt to neatly pigeonhole the young thrill seekers versus the old fuddy-duddies who post here. Off the top of my head, I can name at least half a dozen regular p.net posters who paddle some variety of rivers/coastal conditions.

I have heard SK equated with FW
That was the loud (and ignorant) claim of a few WW boaters I overheard in Colorado. And the word flatwater was usually said in a a voice dripping with disdain. For all the googling and binging people do, if they only look in a restricted realm, they’ll continue to be ignorant.

They also thought that a rec kayak was a sea kayak, among other things. Also, if it was longer than about 8 ft, people would call it a sea kayak. Like I said, ignorance.

The thing that is absolutely hilarious to me is that more than a few people around here (WA–not other sea kayakers, though) have asked what the purpose of my WW kayak is. They are used to seeing sea kayaks around, not WW kayaks.

Cost of buying the kayak
As with bikes, the advice about going straight to a high-priced kayak is coming from people who’ve been “through” a lot of other boats already and know (maybe) what they want.

Most did not buy an expensive boat or bike to start with.

Same for me with bikes and kayaks both. Start with what’s good enough, not “perfect”, because at this point you don’t know what perfect even IS. You are buying it to become a good paddler, not to flaunt expensive toys.

The thing you might have to adjust expectations for is boat weight. Unless you land a real deal on the used market, a light (AND seaworthy) kayak is going to cost more. You could buy a kayak cart ($89) and a Yakima Boatloader extension bar ($60) instead of spending $500 to $1000 extra to shave a few pounds off the boat. OR buy as short and narrow a boat as is reasonable for where you’ll paddle it. Point is, you will probably have to compromise on the weight.

Maybe if you shop long and hard on the used market you’d find a lightweight, sturdy, AND inexpensive kayak. But you’d have lost time shopping instead of just buying “good enough” and actually starting to PADDLE. Spring comes early here, and the water’s liquid all year 'round.

Sorry to offend Bignate
I only base my comments on my experience. Of local seakayakers I know here in San Diego, all of them are older than I am, and I am old.

Also there was a pretty good discussion on facebook lead by Sean Morely this summer about an industry study of the demographics of people buying seakayaks and entering the sport. It did not support any contention that there is any interest in the sport from young people. Seakayaking is in fact a dying sport.

1 Like

Careful
Sea kayaking participants might be diminishing but it’s not because “sea kayaking means flatwater.”

It probably has more to do with things such as lack of storage space for people who don’t own homes, which is usually the case with young people. More to do with overall lower physical activity and more time spent on sedentary activities such as ogling electronic devices.

Kids used to tear around on bikes and go swimming every day all summer long when I was a kid. Haven’t seen much of that in literally decades. The climbing obesity rate in kids matches this change.

A sea kayak is a tool, not the activity itself. You can use it in flatwater or not.

I’m not offended
About 95-99 percent of my paddling the past few years has been river boating, so I really don’t have much personal investment in the “sea kayaker” label however you want to slice it.

That said, I’m not really sure what point you’re attempting to get across here. If we’re just talking demographics, then I have no quarrel with the assertion that sea kayaking skews somewhat older on the whole than, say, rock climbing. My objection is that you seem to be attributing this to a) an overly narrow reading of what constitutes sea kayaking (i.e. only flatwater paddling) and b) an inaccurate assumption that young people are more interested in thrill seeking than older folks.

In my experience, the sea kayaking demographic is what it is mainly because of two factors: (1) it requires a significant financial outlay just to get started, which means less of an appeal to folks who’ve just begun their careers and don’t have a lot of disposable income (i.e. 20 somethings); and (2) it’s a relatively time-intensive hobby, which deters the late 20-late 30-somethings who even if they have the money, often don’t have the time due to the demands of career and young children. So, we’re left with the outliers in these age groups and the generally older folks with sufficient disposable income and a less burdensome combination of career and family obligations.

All of which is interesting, but I don’t see how it’s relevant to the OP, who presumably is an adult and capable of making his own decisions about what does or doesn’t interest him.

1 Like

Another thing
There’s a difference between buying a kayak and actually using a kayak. I’ve seen plenty of instances of folks taking a few lessons, getting really excited, and buying what ends up being an expensive clothes-hanger. This is true for both SK and WW.

1 Like

Meh, it’s just how it goes
I’m only 20 years old, but I’m fully immersed, up to my ears in receipts and the gear. I think before a certain age, 90% of people will have an “I can do it the cheap way, I’m fine” attitude.

Worked kayak retail (real boats and gear, not REI or something) and this was the general attitude for men and women almost across the board up to age 60. I think the thing that changed me was working around the gear and being immersed in it all the time, having the knowledge, and constantly selling people on stuff, I eventually sold to myself.

All said, I paddle with one other guy aged 20, and a bunch of 40-70 year olds…

Don’t be silly.
Either go hard or don’t. Don’t say “I wish I could go hard but I’m can’t” because you’re 24.

Take the advice of others and do some training in rented boats first, but then DO drop the money. Otherwise you’ll end up spending more when you ditch your shitty “budget” boat down the road.

Don’t know where you want to go, but there’s B/B/Blade, Kayak Accademy, and the Mountaineers. I’d suggest taking the Mountaineers’ spring rescue and basics class, in a rented boat and drysuit from KA. Best way to do it.

If you look I gave a couple $2k options
I’m there with you with the $2k used boats. Good boats can be had at that price, easy. I was just listing retail prices for key things to have. Like I said before I listed a $400 rack setup because apparently hoisting onto the roof is a huge concern for OP.

try the Fraser
River trailing brace. Drag flat blade atop water to the stern as an outrigger going with tide thru minor rips, boils.

Using garmin with Garmin Blue Charts is excellent as the underwater surfaces indicate flow levels and turbulence.

Paddle just outside the steep fall offs from land, as submerged mountain/hill tops.

Visit San Juan County Park during a useable out tide morning with intide afternoons to Juan de Fuca. Or an intide morning outtide afternoon for a trip around Kellermans Bluff thru Roche Harbor and back. NOAA tides and currents.

There’s a treatise on deciphering Washington weather online. Visit San Juan Island’s northside park above Roche below Jones Island.

Do tell
so where are you doing all this “go hard paddling”

Likely some of us have paddled with you.

– Last Updated: Jan-23-15 4:59 PM EST –

You are right
in that people who have a preferred genera for a sport seem to have a need to vocally put down those who practice a different version of that same sport. WW kayakers can be snobs, but so can sea kayakers. WW boaters (may) often have more technical challenges to face in a given stretch of river than a sea kayaker who chooses to paddle in more optimal conditions, but this is by no means a truism.

For modern sea kayaking, let’s start with Derek Hutchinson (though it goes further back than that). He paddled rivers, ice encrusted seas, English Channel/North Sea (during storms), and routinely faced conditions that were different, but as technical as any a WW boater might face.

Others, like Ed Gillette, solo paddled/sailed from California to Hawaii in a double kayak (personally, I would have paddled the other direction, after all finding California (or any of the N. Amer. coast) is considerably easier than any part of Hawaii. Quite an achievement and he paddled through at least one hurricane. Others have paddled across the Atlantic, the arctic and antarctic, and beaten the storms of Cape Horn.

This is all off topic, but if one wants adventure and danger, it can be in any type of craft. WW paddlers face different challenges, but the oceans offer many of these same challenges, and more, IF one wishes to seek them out. If some paddlers have no interest in paddling anything but flatwater in rec boats, that’s fine.

I just don’t understand the need to be dismissive of those who don’t share my personal interests.

Rick

Poser from Ft. Collins with a grey thing
Something about your inflated posts sounds very familiar.