Advice for IDW/ICE candidates?

whoops
How to become L5 instructor when there is no L6 paddler?

what I think is that

– Last Updated: Apr-09-09 9:31 AM EST –

it should be the same level. I hated the fact that a level 4 BCU instructor could only train a level 3 assessment. it never seemed right.

I do agree that you should at least have the assessment of the level you are going to teach. I felt comfortable because I had a BCU 3 star already but I woudl not have felt good about it if I had come in with no indication of what kind of a paddler I was beforehand.

Having an IDW/ICE together is my opinion is much harder because you have to be PREPARED and you do not have time to fix much as you are moving along at light speed the whole time. And remember, you are being assessed the entire time. Look behind you..there is an IT behind you watching how you paddle ALL THE TIME! You need to be sufficiently spot on for 4 entire days, not just for 20 strokes or so. That is where the stress levels soar and you get really tired trying so hard to not screw up.

I am not sure you realize how much fun you had until it is over either... :)

Paul

I think that falls under the…
“part of an L4 IDW, instructor update, or possibly something else could take care of that requirement.” But, go ahead and replace ‘L4 IDW’ with ‘L5 IDW’.

maybe I don’t understand something
I always thought a BCU Level 4 coach could assess a 3 Star assessment. In fact, I thought a BCU L3 coach could assess an 3 Star assessment. An L4 coach can assess a 4 Star assessment. And, under the new set up an L3 coach can assess 4 Star if they meet certain requirements.

I think an instructor should have an assessment above the level they are going to teach. The reason being that the certifying body recognizes that the instructor is capable of paddling in conditions beyond what they are teaching, and beyond where they will be looking after students.

This DOES happen because the L3 IDW/ICE has higher remit conditions than the L3 personal award. However, it happens DURING the IDW/ICE. It would be nice if this happened before the IDW/ICE so that the class would have candidates of similar paddling ability.

I’m stale, no longer seasoned

– Last Updated: Apr-09-09 12:03 PM EST –

if you're like me it might be the first of a couple IDW/ICE so take it as a learning intensive and not just a grading event.

What struck me the first time around was that it's a teaching certification as well as assesment of skills. My skills were average to pretty good but my teaching skills were poor, they got MUCH better from teaching, not from the IDW/ICE. I was struck how well those who came from some kind of teaching background did even though their paddling/rescue skills were marginal. So when it comes time to teach,,INVOLVE your "students" in your presentation. Don't turn it into a lecture format,,there's a reason folks are there with paddles and boats paying to learn something. It's your role as an instructor that matters. Getting your skills to a particular level of proficiency is pretty obvious to you but getting your teaching skills to a level that helps others along isn't as obvious.

You may not have the opportunity to involve everyone in your presentations but if you present yourself as someone who is situationally aware then you are a step above someone who is focused on the perfect presentation of a low brace but clueless when someone in the group has numb legs or a splitting headache.

Your skills are what they are, keep calories nearby, equipment all there,,etc. etc.
When I participated and helped out on a few IDW/ICE in 50degree water and air I'd say 1/3 of the participants had totally inadequate headgear and about the same number had their pfd on too loose. It didn't seem to correlate to paddling experience or skills as much as the number of times that person had actually been IN 50 degree water.
It's definately not a time to try out new equipment when you're being assessed on your skills.

folks under stress will pee anyway!

What about
if the individual has taken extensive L3 and L4 training from ACA instructor, and paddles with other IDW/IDE L3 and L4 on a regular basis who can verify their skill level?

I think there should be some flexibility if they have taken other classes, such as the L4 fine tuning training, as well as L3 training.

Not trying to be obnoxious. I think the L3 assessment is good for people who don’t have a lot of credentials, don’t paddle with outer instructors, and may or may not be at the skill level for L3.

I also like to space things out to allow me to practice between instruction. Perhaps this isn’t as profitable , but i don’t like to get ahead of myself.

Wow - A lot of good advice
Seems like many people have been in this boat before. The only new gear I’m planning to try is a wetsuit that I ordered from NRS.

The key take aways that I’m seeing are:

Get some sleep!

Drink plenty of water,

Plan ahead for as much as you can,

Don’t get discouraged,

Learn as much as you can, and

Get some more sleep afterwards.

I’m really looking forward to moving forward in my paddling career having been an asst. instructor for the past year.

Thanks for everyone’s input, and hi Paul. Congrats on your level 3! Hope to see you at the ECCKF.

ECCKF
I will be there Saturday and Sunday. Since CLC is going to be there this year I am looking forward to trying out several of their boats. I will also hang out at the Sea Kayak Carolina tent harassing Scott and crew and the meetup group as well as the Confluence/wilderness systems sites. Feathercraft will be there too I think and I want to paddle the KHAT to see how it compares to my Yost folder.

I look forward to meeting everyone!

Paul

I think that falls under the…
category of “something else could take care of that requirement.” This is in reference to the observation of the other paddlers by Instructors/ITs/ITEs.

As far as taking training, that all depends on what the candidate took from the training.

Obviously, flexibility is important. And there will always be exceptions.

Right, what I think
I was getting at was that just the IDW/IDE is $800 at Sea Kayak Georgia.

So, some flexibility with the courses or assessment requirements can be more productive as each person should take the classes that will best benefit them.

In theory I agree with everyone. There just isn’t a lot of pay for most instructors.

I would also like to split mine up, but that may not be an option at the time.

IDW ICE split
As an IT I have been involved in both a split and combined IDW, ICE and I strongly believe in splitting the two for several reasons.

A competent paddlesport instructor needs to be a competent paddler, but even more importantly a competent Teacher. While it may be possible for someone to learn to replicate the physicality of a stroke or maneuver in a short period of time, being able to successfully teach same requires much more. To learn something yourself, you only have to understand the method in which you learn. To teach others, you must understand the method that they learn. That requires that you are able to assess all learning styles, not just your own. More importantly you must develop multiples ways of sharing information i.e. instructors toolbox. I believe the only way one can learn to teach is by teaching and the only real measure of a teachers success is the success of the student. The more experience in teaching a person has, the more able they are to teach the widest number of people with various learning styles.

Spacing the IDW and ICE apart gives candidates the opportunity to practice teaching in between and I encourage candidates to do as much as they can in preparation for the ICE.

I agree with the idea that people should have the paddling skills in hand for the Instructor level IDW/ICE they are taking ahead of time and encourage them to stand for an assessment prior to although that is not currently required.

Falcon

why not combine, but let the candidate
split?

I understand, and agree, with most all of the reasons for wanting the sessions split. However, I don’t think they should ONLY be offered as split options. If they are combined the candidate can choose to split them up, only attending the needed session. Of course that relies upon the candidates’ ability to self-evaluate if they need one or both.

I would just hate to see the split option as the ONLY option.

Submit to the video NOW!
You won’t believe what an @$$clown you look like on video, if you haven’t seen yourself before.

Have a friend with a camera get a few shots of you paddling, sweeping, drawing, etc. You will be humbled, and then you will have a precious 5 days to practice and improve.

Unnecessary

It took me a while to figure out who the OP was, because I assumed he was already 4 star instructor!

but he also has a little video camera set up, which will probably be handy for instruction, as you say…

Hope to catch up with everyone at the ECCKF…

funny!
yeah Dress, I been meaning to post some of them vids on U-tube! heehee.

@$$clown…I’m going to remember that one!

steve

Couldn’t agree more…
During one of my first kayak classes, the instructor took a video of us and critiqued our strokes. Most of the things that I thought I was doing correctly really weren’t. Big eye-opener. I got a little GoPro camera recently that can be mounted on my deck and has been really helpful in critiquing my own strokes now that I sort of know what to look for.

I think that initial video was a real wakeup for an @$$clown paddler like me!

: )