Advice needed...found lost boat and phone today on river

I wrote my name and number (as well as the sticker) with a marker under the seat, on the underside of the hatch covers, underside of the deck, up in the bow and back in by the skeg box. If it is found there will be no problem finding my info. If it is stolen the thief better be ready to search for identifying markings

1 Like

Iā€™m trying to figure out where/how to get some of these stickers. The link is to the Annapolis area only. No mention of them (that I can find) on the local flotilla website (Iā€™m in Upper Michigan). Might have to buy them on Amazon :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

I got them from
Coast Guard Auxiliary Flotilla 48
P.O. box 10419
Bainbridge Island, WA 98110

1 Like

I got mine when the CG did a safety check at a large outing. They had the type shown and a sheet of reflective circles to stick on your paddle faces. All four faces and part of that sheet was 2 of the IDs. They wouldnā€™t give you the sticker for your boat until you placed these 4 big silver dots on the paddle. They wrinkled because the face is not flat and looked like heck. When I got home I took them off but used the stickers.

Call your local CG station.

1 Like

I got mine at a boat show.

I have two extra I can send to you. PM me your address and Iā€™ll mail tomorrow

2 Likes

We were paddling between Wood Island and Grand Island (Munising area) when the CG spotted us and drove over. We turned on our radios to see if they were trying to hail us. They really wanted to give us their phone number, but our phones were stowed in our hatches. They did gave us each a sticker. I donā€™t know how you know when the CG will be passing between Wood and Grand Islands though. Maybe check with the Marquette office (thatā€™s where the boat was from).

Thanks for the info! Rookie is kindly sending me a couple, and I will check with the CG station near us. We are in the Keweenaw, and Marquette is actually a couple hours away, and Munising is farther. Fun fact: the UP isnā€™t huge, but we are still about 5 hours from the Mackinac Bridge (ā€œNorthernā€ Michigan :joy: - we have to go south and quite a bit east to get to the ā€œNorthā€)

1 Like

I put stickers in a couple of my kayaks. Unfortunately the info applied with a black sharpy didnā€™t last. Much like my paddles you pretty much have to constantly reapply your info if you want it to be visible.

I have done the sticker route but they tended to eventually come off. But what is ALWAYS in my day hatch - between a key or something else that needs waterproof protection thee days need it anyway- is an Otter case with a piece of paper in it with my personal info and, in Maine, names and phone numbers for where I rent. It comes in and out of boats in the same mesh bag that holds gloves, VHF, neo hood; stuff that comes in and out of the boat every trip.

2 Likes

The stickers are useful if your boat blows off a dock, drifts off a beach, or is stolen and abandoned so the authorities know who to contact to make sure that someone is not missing. It doesnā€™t help if you remove the contact information when you are not actively using the boat.

A laminated card with ID clipped somewhere in the boat will work, although it might not help if the boat is stolen, will suffice in other situations. Having something laminated only cost a dollar or two.

1 Like

Well if you get lost in your drawer the number will be there. :joy: