Advice on boat to purchase

Wildernessweb- maybe I’ll get lucky
And find a nova craft … Sure do like the looks and specs!

Maybe We Can Get Together…
…and you could try it out?

If you can find one…
I think the Wenonah Vagabond in Royalex is one of the best choices you could make for a fishing solo for Ozark streams (I own two of them). There are still a few around…a buddy of mine either just bought one or is considering it, haven’t heard from him in a couple of days. The true pack canoes are fine for light weight, but their seating arrangement is not all that conducive to fishing; I want a boat with a bench seat that sets up fairly high. The Disco 119 would definitely be serviceable, but is on the high end of acceptable weight for a solo canoe of its size.

Maybe I’ll get a chance to try it
at a Rendezvous.

Both you and Pat look good in it.

Grumman
Grumman definitely not the best fishing boat. Any movement and there is lots of noise generated.

+1 Vagabond

Native
Not necessarily a bad idea. So long as your streams are essentially flat and not too pushy. Not as maneuverable and not as tolerant of rough water as a more traditional solo canoe, but very stable on flats and easyto get in and out of. I think they dropped it, but they were making the 12 footer in a lightweight composite for a while.

The big question…
…is - do you sit or kneel? And do you prefer a double or single blade?

When in a solo canoe, I prefer to kneel while actively fishing. Just like when paddling, it gives more reach and stability. But kneeling is what I prefer most of the time. Whatever position and paddle work best for you as a paddler on moving water will likely be just as good for fishing.

You are Welcome To…
…my friend! It’s a rare boat that can work solo for Margaret and I BOTH, so I plan on keeping it until I can no longer paddle?

Native?

– Last Updated: Feb-09-16 1:39 PM EST –

Never paddled one, but it is an intriguing boat. A friend's son bought one and loves it? If you have one nearby to try out, so much the better.

Al_A has been fishing and paddling Ozark streams longer than me and his recommendations are always spot on. My wife had a Vagabond that we sold to a friend whom paddles it quite often. It's a decent boat for Ozark Streams. If you can find one, a Mohawk Solo 13 or 14 would probably work well for you also?

We have an Ozark Rendezvous coming up in April. My suggestion is that if you could hold off until you try a few boats, I would. We will definitely have an extra boat or two and you can sample most others boats. You could at the very least sample the Nova Craft Trapper, Wenonah Vagabond, Mohawk Solo 13 and Solo 14. I even have an old Sawyer Solo 13 that might work for you? Here's a link to that thread:
http://www.paddling.net/message/showThread.html?fid=meet&tid=1855979

Selling my Royalex Vagabond
First off, I will be placing an advertisement here on pNet tonight for three canoes I am selling. It just so happened I saw this and thought WOW! One is a nice green royalex Wenonah Vagabond. Anyway if the OP is interested, she can contact me here! Thanks

Yatipope,
Check your email! Thanks!

OT Next
Since you will be dragging it up and down a bank I’d avoid the really light Kevlar boats. You can make a mess of their gel coat quickly and find yourself constantly maintaining them. This includes most of the pack boats that were mentioned here.

Since you also expressed interest in a kayak, perhaps the Old Town Next might bring you the best of both worlds. It’s a good, stable fishing platform. Tt’s about middle of the road when it comes to weight. Lighter than a lot of canoes and kayaks, but heavier than the ultra light Kevlar boats.

Bring plastic it can take bit of a beating and the list price isn’t bad, and perhaps you can find it used or on sale cheaper.

OT Next is nice but
Weighs 59 lbs …heavier than I wish

Pack canoes do not have gel coat
always ( some do) and at sub 30 lbs there is no reason to drag them…

Little kids can carry them up and down eskers in the Adirondacks for pete’s sake.

Your trip is your trip so you can do what you want.

I am at a loss why people think fishing out of a pack canoe means loss of stability… My neighbor uses my RapidFire for fishing in Maine.

I Have an Old Friend…
…who paddled a Hornback and he was VERY careful where he paddled it around here. But it sure was nice to carry!

http://www.pbase.com/ozarkpaddler/image/162540501

Good TIming!
If you were disappointed, you would have no trouble selling it around here. I’d probably snatch it up if it were decently priced and I were you?

Good idea…
On the Mohawks. I agree that the Solo 14 especially is a very nice fishing solo.

people die
on escalators. I have never seen a pac canoe. Here’s an esker

http://goo.gl/vZlutN

Fishing
The pack canoe makes an ideal fishing platform with a low seating position. The amount of space in front of you plus to your rear in amazing, all within easy reach. Hull durability is unequaled in the 20lb class. At 20lbs no need to drag a boat like some of the other lead sleds. Gelcoat adds a protective finish designed to be scratched. Remember you only have a problem if the fabric is exposed. Some of the cheaper ultralights don’t use a gelcoat fininsh and those hulls are not that durable.