Advice on friend wanting toborrow kayaks

Great!
Now you’ll have a chance to get him started so he can have fun rather than drama. That is always enjoyable.

Excellent
See if you can steer him to Falls Lake or Jordan. Probably more beginner friendly than the Neuse.

(laughing) I agree
Always fun to say no to someone who’s used to bossing people around.

This saying applies.
Never a borrower, nor a lender be. Some things are just out of the question when it comes to loaning. My list starts with my wife, then the sea kayaks, motorcycles, vehicles, shop equipment, bikes …

I’ll help
I like that run, so if you offer to go with him. We could go together. You would then have to barrow a boat from me. Tell him groups of two are not warranted for that trip at this time of year. The water is danger cold and there is NO PLACE to get out along the river for a few miles in sections. Deep water Rescue skills are a must in places.

Email me to figure out which of my boats might fit you.

Take Nancy Reagan’s advice…
Just say no.

good
that you have been able to tell your friend as it is and he understood it for what it was - a genuine expression of concern for his well-being.

Not that I ever had a dilemma of similar magnitude - but I have to confess a few times when people wanted an advice on potentially dangeous stuff and ignored my sincere warning I just washed my hands off, gave them the advice “as is” and made certain I was not around when they tried to follow it, using whatever knowlege they had in their heads. Sometimes you just can’t/should not reason with people.

Loaning kayaks to a friend
You obviously want to help your friend, and all the factors you mentioned are valid reasons to refuse his request.

It’s likely that he has never even considered any of those things.

At best, he’ll thank you and be appreciative for the help you will give him when the water warms up.

At worst, he won’t thank you, but you won’t have your name in the newspapers as the guy that enabled someone to get hurt.