Advice on getting in/out of a kayak

He has a Necky Narpa
That is a true sea kayak. It needs a apray skirt. And it is not on the Bending Branches list.

enter/exit…
As a newbie myself, I can relate to your situation! I really enjoyed reading all the posts here and found some to be helpful too. I plan on taking my new yak out to a small, secluded lake and practicing that skill until I can do it without making a total fool of myself! The article someone mentioned that is on this website is very helpful. I also purchased a DVD on this website to help me with the basic skills. It is called “Recreational Kayaking - the essential skills and safety”. The store I bought my kayak at also holds classes and I plan on taking one of those also. I have to agree with the paddlers here though too - kayaking is a water sport and you are probably going to get wet! I think if I can limit it to just my feet I will feel I have accomplished something!

If you only get your feet wet

– Last Updated: May-23-07 10:24 PM EST –

you haven't accomplished much. Get wet and enjoy the good life. This is a water sport and it gets wet.

staying dry
Well, it is my goal to stay as dry as possible while enjoying the experience of kayaking - especially in the cold waters of Eastern Oregon. I may need to invest in a wet or dry suit - don’t know which one is most suitable though.

Thanks
Thanks for all the replies. It would appear that getting the shoes wet will be a strong likelihood when mounting dismounting - no big deal - just trying to learn all I can as I’ve never been around a kayak or a kayaker prior to now. I may try some of the techniques in the guide and as suggested. Either way this is gonna be fun.

Wet shoes/dry feet
If you hate that feeling, there are socks made that will keep your feet dry under boots. Seal Skinz Water Blockers (the ones that aren’t water blockers can let water in over the top). I haven’t found that their water-proof quality lasts more than a season, but it’s nice while it’s there.

I would second the above suggestions that you grab some lessons. There are some diff’s between using canoe and kayak that could be annoying if you are already used to being pretty solid in a canoe - might as well take a couple of basic lessons so that you don’t lose time on getting by that stuff.

BTW - I use the sit and pull in leg(s) method myself unless conditions the launch point has some particular challenges, but I’ve seen some whose body parts won’t do that. And I am small enough for that to be fairly easy.

Aside of the paddle method,
you can also work on doing the same without a paddle…

1. Line up your boat to something that is just a few cm above water level (a small rock or a wharf work, if the latter is not too high).

2. Throw your paddle onto the shore (being careful that it lands on something soft :slight_smile: ).

3. Place your landside hand on the ground firmly.

4. Place the seaside hand on the coaming behind your back; about a hand-span away from the center, on the water side.

5. Transfer most of your weight onto your landside hand/arm, without tipping over of course. Keep a tight grip with the seaside hand.

6. Wriggle your feet/legs free.

7. CAREFULLY lift out your landside leg out of the kayak. Now, in one very smooth slow motion, move your whole body (well actually, mostly your behind) over to the solid earth. Keep your weight on the landside hand. FEEL what happens with your body and your weight distribution. Avoid hasty correction movements.

8. Presto, you’re done.

Sounds complicated, but is very easy with a bit of practice. Prepare to take a dump for the first few times.

The same works getting into the kayak, by reversing everything.

Gib…when you do fall
and you will… try and do it gracefully. Just give up and fall. Someone is bound to have a camera and you want to look good when you do. Just smile, its part of the program.