After Market Foot Pumps / Deck Pumps????

re-enter and roll with electric pump
sounds like a fine way to go. Do you have any experience with sea socks?

spit
I have henderson pumps in 3 out of 4 , sea kayaks, installed them all myself. I put the spit hole in the deck but over by the deck seam. If you put it in the middle of the boat it will sometimes sqwert you in the face if you are traveling into the wind. If you put it to the side of center, most production boats are domed on the front deck , so the water travels out from the boat when sqwerted. I can get someone about 5 or 6 feet away from my boat (if so inclined) with a good stream. The other boat has a chimp pump t-ed with a waterbuster submersiable batt operated pupm, so that eather or both can be used at the same time. The waterbuster uses the same spit hole as the chimp pump and it is a factory install out the side of the boat behind the seat area. The chimp pump was in the boat when I bought it, I added the waterbuster.

Best Wishes

Roy

I’ve had good luck with an electric
pump behind the backrest on my one boat but am in the process of converting the Henderson-Chimp handpump that was on the rear deck of my Pintail to a foot operated pump. I want to remove the handle and install a return spring inside the diapram,Then make up a plate on top for the ball of my foot to contact.

Has anyone done this conversion?

Peter Carters website says the Assies do it but he doesn’t give any details.

I can’t figure a way to keep the return spring in proper position.

Bert

yes sometimes OK
Yes, but I found them slippery and bothersome so stopped and went the pump route. That said, for a SOF unlike some more adventureous souls here (no criticism please!) I do feel a sea sock affords ME an added measure the lack of bulkheads in the SOF require.

Not wanting to sound like a commercial pitch, but I admit now I have the RR system it feels like a good major appliance, something you just want to have as part of your life.

E.

foot switch
I admire the www.rapidrunnerbilge.com setup and may end up with one.

But, for true do it yourself types-I think I have a source for a nice waterproof footswitch. Two years ago I also tracked down some good waterproof push button switches too for the same use. But, I have never actually made the comitment to purchasing the pump and batteries for the kayak I use now. For me the desire to have a foot operated bilge pump or EBP is always less important to me than giving up the storage space I would use with such a system. Currently, I store my 35mm camera case at the front of the bulkhead in the cockpit (a perfect spot for the bilge pump). And, I don’t think I have room behind me in my NDK Explorer-with the slanted rear bulkhead.

Plus, like others have said I feel that it is really important to carry a portable pump to use for rescuing others. I have helped now with three actual capsize recoveries where the pump was necessary. In each of the three situations a boat over boat rescue would have been essentially impossible.

David